Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Owls
 Great Horned Owl Cam - Savannah, Georgia
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, February 02 2015 @ 07:44 PM EST (Read 55452 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Savannah, Georgia Great Horned Owl thread.

This thread has been set up to document the activities of a pair of Great Horned owls who have nested in an abandoned eagle nest on the Landings Golf Course on Skidaway Island near Savannah, Georgia. Many thanks to the folks at the Landings Golf Course, Skidaway Audubon, and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology for providing us with this wonderful opportunity to learn about the lives of Great Horned owls and their owlets.

Thanks to Hancock Wildlife Foundation member FlyForeverFree for providing us with links, information and screencaptures in the post below. Many thanks to our wonderful admin. JudyB for moving the first few posts from the 'Random Owl Nests and News' thread over to this new dedicated thread.

Observations, videos and screencaptures are welcome to be posted here by everyone. We are currently awaiting the hatching of the 2nd egg fingers crossed

The owls can be viewed through the Cornell Lab of Ornithology site here or the Landings Bird Cam here. Both sites provide some interesting information on Great Horned owls.

Lots of info on Great Horned Owls on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology All About Birds site here.

More info on the Hinterland Who's Who site here.

Owlet #1 hatched Feb. 3rd
Owlet #2 hatched Feb. 6th

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: FlyForeverFree (offline) on Tuesday, February 03 2015 @ 10:20 AM EST  
FlyForeverFree

Good Morning everyone. I came across a Great Horned Owl nest in Savannah, Georgia recently. This was a Bald Eagles nest where only 1 of the pair returned in the Fall ( according to their website ). The GHO's found it and she laid her first of 2 eggs on January 1st. Last night, one of the eggs pipped Smile

There is lots of information on their website and the cam does have IR and sound. http://landingsbirdcam.com/
They also have a FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/LandingsBirdCam

I got this from their page showing the pip and there have been reports of little peeps being heard.

Click on image to download

Mom quietly incubating and waiting ..

Just a note, this nest is on a golf course, This is a quote on their website about the Sounds at Sunrise.

" Birds that start vocalizing at dawn and can almost always be heard are Northern Cardinal, Carolina Wren and, occasionally, American Crow.

Later in the morning, you will start hearing the metallic “thwack” of golfballs being hit off the adjacent tee. This sound usually occurs in fours, spaced a bit apart, as foresomes tee off right below the nest. (Fortunately we adjusted the sound so that we cannot hear the words anyone is saying on errant shots!)"

May your Spirit always lift you ... to Fly Forever Free !!

Forum

Alberta

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, February 03 2015 @ 08:20 PM EST  
sassyk

waveFlyForeverFree I've been watching this GH owl nest through the Cornell Lab of Ornithology site for a few days. While watching and recording this afternoon Mama got up and gave us a glimpse of an egg. I snapped a s'cap from the video so the quality isn't great but it definitely shows the pip Left thumb up I just checked the site and the chick has hatched WooHoo Perhaps a dedicated thread should be set up for this owl family Chin I am sure I will be watching quite often Nodding yes Here's the s'cap showing the egg with the pip.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: FlyForeverFree (offline) on Tuesday, February 03 2015 @ 08:41 PM EST  
FlyForeverFree

wave sassyk. I've been peeking in on this Savannah GHO family on and off ... really wanting to try and catch a glimpse of the chick. I missed it as I was out for the afternoon, but I did manage to come across a video. Thank You ncaerie.

The first peek at the chick Video Camera http://youtu.be/TAoXBpC6se8

and a screen cap from the video.

I like your idea of a dedicated thread for this owl family. Left thumb up

Forum

Alberta

Profile     PM

By: FlyForeverFree (offline) on Tuesday, February 03 2015 @ 10:44 PM EST  
FlyForeverFree

Savannah GHO cam @ The Landings

Mom was watching something fly by the nest area around 11:11pm. I think the male may have brought her something as she left the nest at that time.

...giving a good view of the little one now, with what looks like breakfast at the edge of the nest bowl area ( a bird of some type, I think )

... all nice and dry now. Smile

Mom returned to the nest around 11:30pm and tucked the little one back under her.

Forum

Alberta

Profile     PM

By: FlyForeverFree (offline) on Wednesday, February 04 2015 @ 12:55 PM EST  
FlyForeverFree

Savannah GHO's

Mom was eating her lunch this morning, I'm not sure if the little one also ate as it was kept under her the whole time. There were a few times where she was bending her head downwards making it look like she was feeding the little one under her, but I really have no idea. The chick is less than a day old now.

I got this from their facebook page.

I don't know a lot about GHO's and how they raise their chicks, but this is really interesting. So different from Bald Eagles.

Forum

Alberta

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, February 04 2015 @ 12:56 PM EST  
sassyk

wave FlyForeverFree Great s'caps from last night. If you feel comfortable opening a dedicated thread for this owl nest I agree it would be a good idea. If you'd rather I did it, I can set it up later today. I've set up many other dedicated threads on this forum but I'm on my way out for most of the day. I'll look forward to seeing more wonderful s'caps of today's activities when I get home later this afternoon Left thumb up

ETA: HWF had a cam on a GHOW nest that was 5 minutes away from my home. They nested in a concrete planter box on the side of a government building. It was so much fun to watch the owlets on the cam and then to watch and photograph them when they got big enough to see over the planter box. Link to the thread here.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: FlyForeverFree (offline) on Wednesday, February 04 2015 @ 05:45 PM EST  
FlyForeverFree

wave sassyk. You are very welcomed and Thank You so much for suggesting to set up a dedicated thread for the Savannah GHO's. I think I will wait till you get back later this evening and let you set up though. ( I would have no idea how to do that Whistling ) Do you think it would be possible to move over the posts about the nest from here to the new thread ? I would love to add to it when I can as I'm usually around more in the evenings than the day light hours. ( except for this week Wink ) I'm also posting to the eagles4kids Bald Eagle thread, and with not much happening in the evenings at the moment, I have the time to peek in on the Owls.

I remember the GHO's from Victoria that nested in the cement planter box. That is so cool that you were so close to them. I had a pair of Swainsons Hawks nest across the road from my place last summer, they were pretty cool to watch too, no cam though .. and that's ok. Just seeing them made me smile.

Forum

Alberta

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 10:20 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate