Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Blackwater Refuge MD - 2015 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Lonette (offline) on Monday, October 20 2014 @ 01:13 PM EDT (Read 37261 times)  
Lonette

Hello everyone and welcome to the 2015 Blackwater Refuge Bald Eagle Cam thread. This is the place where memories will be made by all who stop in to visit. There is always so much joy and friendship here and we so very much look forward to sharing Mom and Dad Blackwater and their family with everyone.

The Refuge has already pulled back the cam so we should be able to watch the parents do some nestorations as they get the nest ready for eggs!

Blackwater NWR Eagle Cam

The camera has frequently updating still shots, and uses infrared technology to provide "night vision." During last year's nest season, the cam was turned off from 11 pm - 3 am to reduce bandwidth expenses. We expect the same for the cam this year.

The nest is located in the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge on Maryland's Eastern Shore. This is one of the first nests to have a cam, and has been online since 2005. The pair has successfully raised three chicks in 2005, and two each from 2006 through 2010. The pair successfully raised three chicks in 2011. In 2012, tragedy struck at the nest on February 26, Two eight-day old chicks were killed by an intruder eagle at the nest. In 2013, Mom Blackwater laid three eggs. The chick from the third egg succumbed, but Mom and Dad raised two beautiful chicks from hatching to the time they fledged and were taught to care for themselves; the two were named Talon and Soar through a contest by Blackwater Refuge.

Mom laid three eggs during the 2013 - 2014 season. Two of the eggs hatched and were named Chaser and Glider through the annual eaglet naming contest.

From the 2013 - 2014 Season:

Click on image to download
Screen Capture by Lonette

Screen Capture by IrishEyes

Screen Capture by Lonette
Link to the 2013/2014 season

We now look forward to the upcoming nesting season and another successful year. Please watch and post with us.

cam on: It stayed on year-round this year!

2014-2015 Season:

adults in area: Week of October 20, 2014

eggs laid: Egg #1 - Early evening of January 7; first view on January 8. This is the earliest that an egg has been laid at this nest. Egg #2 - Early evening of January 10; Early morning of January 11. Egg #3 -Midday January 14 was first view of egg. The egg could have been laid the night of January 13 or early morning January 14.

hatched: Egg #1 - February 15. Egg #2 - February 19 or 20; first seen on February 20. Egg #3 was not viable and failed to hatch.

eaglets lost: Unfortunately both eaglets were lost this year. The second chick passed on February 23, cause unknown. The oldest chick passed on March 1. It appeared she was doing fine. She looked healthy and was fed very well. On the evening of March 1, she was fed and unfortunately was left outside the nest bowl when the parent settled in.

named: The wonderful group that follows this nest christened the second chick as Abe. We wanted him to have a name and Blackwater Refuge holds a naming contest when chicks are close to fledging. The oldest was christened Dora. The names Dora and Abe we lovingly bestowed from the word "Adorable". Thank you Carolyn.

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Monday, October 20 2014 @ 01:14 PM EDT  
Lonette

Here are photos of the 2015 eaglets, Dora and Abe.

Dora and Abe by Bev

Family Portrait by JudyB

Adorable by Lonette

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, October 20 2014 @ 01:29 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Hello Lonette and friends........... I am so happy to see that you opened a new thread here and so looking forward to another fun season at this nest with all youhug and most of all with Mom and Dad Blackwater and their babies.Red Heart

View of the empty nest and it looks in good shape too.
1:32pm

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Monday, October 20 2014 @ 01:34 PM EDT  
Lonette

ClappingByebye Hi Bev! Welcome home.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Thursday, October 23 2014 @ 09:16 AM EDT  
golden1

Hi Lonette, Bev and all who love this nest. I found this this morning posted on fb by Keith Beyer. I had to post it here too. So wonderful to see them at their nest.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Thursday, October 23 2014 @ 09:19 AM EDT  
Lonette

Hi DonnaByebye Thank You so much. YAY!!!! You are the best!!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Thursday, October 23 2014 @ 01:00 PM EDT  
Lonette

Hey BW Buds!!!

Look who I found on the Osprey nest!!!

I can't see the tail feathers, so I'm not sure if this is Mom or Dad. If I had to guess? Mom. Cloud 9

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Thursday, October 23 2014 @ 01:14 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

BravoLonette........Great catch.....I have a few also

HI Donna........ Love the caps.

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:29 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate