Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Blenkinsop Eagles 2010-2016
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 12:30 AM EST (Read 5642 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Blenkinsop Eagles thread. I have been watching this pair of eagles for almost 2 years. In the spring of 2008 a family member told me she saw large dark coloured eagles perched in some of the trees on her property near Blenkinsop Lake many times during the spring and summer. She assumed they were golden eagles but I believe they were juvenile bald eagles. Unfortunately, she didn't take any pictures of them perched in her trees. Last year this pair did not have any eaglets; each time I photographed them they were together. In the fall of 2008 I took a few photos of what I thought was a nest but have not been successful in catching the eagles at the nest. I have previously posted photos of these eagles on the Sidney-Victoria Eagles+ Other Wildlife thread here: Sidney-Victoria Eagles + Other Wildlife

I went to see the Blenkinsop Eagles this afternoon and one was perched in a tree across from the Galey's Farm Market on Blenkinsop Road. This is the same tree they perch in quite often. I have also photographed them perched in the trees at the north end of Mount Douglas Golf Course on Blenkinsop Road. Here are a few pix.
Click on image to download

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 01:59 AM EST  
sassyk

Here are 2 pix of the nest at the edge of Blenkinsop Lake. I will be watching it more closely in the next few months for rebuilding and egg laying.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 01:06 PM EST  
sassyk

2 days ago a juvenile was perched in my sister-in-law's tree, right next to her house. This was probably one of the juvies of 2008 from the nearby nest.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 01:45 PM EDT  
sassyk

My SIL has seen both the eagles together in the trees beside her house near the nest. They have been seen together a few times lately which might indicate they don't have any eggs/chicks in the nest this year. She has also seen a juvenile in the area lately.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, April 16 2010 @ 01:51 AM EDT  
sassyk

I was chatting with a lady earlier this morning who told me she heard the Blenkinsop eagle nest had blown down in the last wind storm. We both looked for it and didn't see it:dunno: I saw one of the Blenkinsop eagles today just before 1 pm perched in a tree at the north end of the Mt. Doug golf course. I also saw a pair of Turkey Vultures perched in a tree along Lochside Trail near the end of Lohbrunner Rd. Here are a few pix.

Turkey Vultures

Blenkinsop Eagle

Blenkinsop Eagle

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: tanner07 () on Tuesday, June 29 2010 @ 02:29 AM EDT  
Anonymous: tanner07

Hey everyone,

Thought that these were worth sharing. I actually shot them while at work last week - I'm lucky to have a job working outdoors at Gardenworks on Blenkinsop.

I spotted the resident eagles hunting low over a field and ran for my camera just in time to catch one flying overhead with a fresh catch locked in its talons. Images are uncropped.

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, June 29 2010 @ 01:16 PM EDT  
sassyk

waveTanner, great shots of the Blenkinsop eaglesLeft thumb up A friend saw a pair of Wood Ducks with 4 babies in Blenkinsop Lake the other day, and I sure hope the eagles don't grab them for a mealSad

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: tanner07 () on Tuesday, November 09 2010 @ 02:50 PM EST  
Anonymous: tanner07

A different pair of eagles showed up the other day at work and the Blenkinsop eagles didn't take kindly to their prescence. An impressive show of arial combat maneuvers ensued. It was amazing and it went on for quite some time. Of course, I was busy working so I couldn't get my camera from the truck for pictures. On November 7th they were all over the skies for most of the day. I did manage to snap off a couple of pictures.

I was told by somebody I work with that he saw them locking talons and free falling. This other pair of eagles has been around before and I suspect they will be back.

Blenkinsop eagles in a tree together:

Here's a mid-barrelroll shot from a huge distance:

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:30 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate