Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Delta #3 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 Delta 3 - 2014/15 Cam Discussions/Obs, Pics, Video
 |  Printable Version
By: Pat B (offline) on Monday, October 06 2014 @ 04:50 PM EDT (Read 106307 times)  
Pat B

This nest is about 105 feet up a fir tree, on private property overlooking Tsawwassen Beach, and the Georgia Strait beyond, where it is ideal for easy access to the productive Roberts Bank rich intertidal beaches.

This pair have occupied this nest for three years - raising two eaglets each of the last two years. They previously nested in three different nests in the Heron Rookery nearby.

Link to the cameras

Link to small cam - East
Link to small cam - West

Click for full size

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Monday, October 06 2014 @ 04:52 PM EDT  
Pat B

Positions of the HWF nests in the Vancouver area

Click for the large version.

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Monday, October 06 2014 @ 05:05 PM EDT  
Pat B

Timeline 2015

Eagle return date: Sept. 28, 2014 - Both adults returned to their nest.

Eggs Laid: First egg: March 1, 2015 2:23pm
Second egg: March 4, 2015 2:27pm

First hatch: April 8, 2015 5:30pm

Second hatch: did not hatch

Named: Uno - April 25, 2015

First Branching: June 14, 9:04 pm - 67 days old (link)

Fledge Date: July 13, 2015 5:57 am (link) - 96 days old

Last Seen: Uno, July 22, 1:00 pm (forum/viewtopic.php?topic=801283#801283) - 15 weeks old (105 days); both adults, August 5, 10:48 am

Nest Adoptions for 2015 are now available!

To date in the calendar year 2015 the Delta3 nest has been adopted by:

~ Kathy H.
~ Lax Kxeen Elementary School
~ LyndaRobson/elle
~ Celestron

You too can honor your favorite fine feathered family -
and support the work of Hancock Wildlife -
by adopting the HWF nest of your choice -

Click HERE to see how![/color]

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Tuesday, October 07 2014 @ 01:53 PM EDT  
Pat B

Delta 3 Cam Installations: Sept 15, 2014:
David Hancock

The Hancock Wildlife Foundation team of installers placed two new PTZ cams at our latest bald eagle nest called Delta 3. The site is spectacular. It overlooks the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal offering this pair of eagles, and a shoreline of adjacent territory pairs, access to the productive Roberts Bank rich intertidal beaches.

This site has been occupied successfully for two years, producing 2 young each year. I believe this pair, or at least one of them, occupied the 3 different nests just northward 200 meters around the point and situated within the largest known Great Blue Heron rookery. The bay below is rich all spring and early summer with spawning Midshipman a toadfish, a little bull-head-like species so important to many breeding eagles up the entire west coast.

This beach last year again, after years of absence, supported a small spawn of Herring -- an iconic food species for so many creatures of the Pacific Ocean. Along this western shore of Point Roberts we have 8 or 9 pairs of nesting eagles. The area is so rich in food it also supports a floating population of up to 50 non-breeding eagles, particularly sub-adults most of the year. This results in lots of interaction with the shoreline of breeders who also compete for spacial rights with the adjacent pairs.

We hope this pair will enable some locals and you to learn more of this great predator-scavenger. Since we have two more PTZ cams we will be able to offer more people the opportunity to take turns in panning, tilting and zooming these cams -- to find the most exciting views and actions.

We thank the family, Tom, Jodie and their three children, for their interest and support. We hope you too will gain insight into the lives of the eagles that have invaded your landscape.

In the background was Ken, our technician, bringing it all together along with Karen and Mary feeding us, and the host family cheering and encouraging us on. The project was a wonderful start to a new pair of eagles which we hope you will all come to love and respect.

Click for 24 images of setting up the nest

Updated Friday, September 26 2014 @ 12:34 PM P

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Tuesday, October 07 2014 @ 01:56 PM EDT  
Pat B

Parts of the foot

Click on image to download

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Saturday, October 11 2014 @ 09:31 AM EDT  
Pat B

Reserved

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, November 26 2014 @ 09:11 PM EST  
JudyB

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Hi everyone!

Thanks, Pat, for all the great information! I do hope that I'll be able to see this nest live and in person one of these years!

I was really hoping that I'd be able to announce the the cams were live - but so far only the East cam is streaming. I've sent an email to Peter at WildEarth, and am keeping fingers crossed that both will be online tomorrow.

I didn't see anyone at home this afternoon - but do know they are visiting, so hope we'll see both eagles checking in soon.

Added - as those who know me know - I'm always optimistic - so links for both cams are available on our Live Cams page.... Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (online) on Wednesday, November 26 2014 @ 09:54 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Hi Judy B......... Thank you for the update....and notifying Peter .....and the links to the cams.... i bookmarked them .......... and am hopeful that both will be streaming tomorrow.......... one is nice to have .Grin

Thank You Pat B...For opening this thread and for the information..........

6:57pm

Windy at the empty nest
Click on image to download

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:08 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate