Forum Index > H.W.F. Community Information > Festivals of Eagles, Birds and Nature
 Mission Rivers Day - 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, September 29 2014 @ 07:22 PM EDT (Read 1543 times)  
karenbills

Yesterday was World Rivers Day, which originally began as BC World Rivers Day and grew from that. Now each community has their own way of celebrating the River as the giver of life to the planet. For the second year in a row Hancock Wildlife Foundation was asked to participate in the festivities at Mission, BC. It was a beautiful day, unlike last year when we had a hard time setting up our canopy in the driving wind and rain on the promenade dyke alongside the mighty Fraser River.

This year David Hancock and I had the help of our members, Jean and Liisa, to man our table. I especially appreciated their help in carrying things to and from David's van as I am still somewhat disabled in carrying things due to my broken leg and torn ligaments from last November. I didn't take my camera as I try to tote as few items as possible these days. Fortunately Jean and Liisa had cameras so they can post their pictures here. Thanks Jean and Liisa.

It was nice to see our Mission members, Pam and Keith, stop by our booth. Pam did such a great job last year documenting our Mission eagle nest which was overtaken by the Canada Geese and she videoed the goslings leaping out of the nest.

As always at our booth we also represent the upcoming Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival, which this fall is Nov. 15 and 16. So it will be here soon and the eagles are already starting to gather out there on the Chehalis/Harrison River Flats as seen from our Harrison Mills bald eagle nest cams. Jo-Anne Chadwick, of the Fraser River Safari, is also the president of the FVBEF. She was there at the table to also give us a hand yesterday and supply us with a tablecloth which we had forgotten. Jo also brought us some drinking water later in the day when we were all dying of thirst. Thanks Jo.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 29 2014 @ 07:45 PM EDT  
Jean

Thank You Thank you Karen for setting up this new thread for our pictures of the Rivers Day festival in Mission yesterday! We certainly lucked out on the weather and it felt like summer was in full swing again! The scenery was beautiful and although the morning started out a bit foggy it cleared after a while and the view was astounding!

A note about the pictures......................the date is a day off. These were taken on the 28th not the 27th. Thanks Karen for noticing!

Metal eagle sculpture in front of the Marina.
Click on image to download

Old train bridge crossing the river.

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 29 2014 @ 07:51 PM EDT  
Jean

Liisa, Karen and Jo-Anne.

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 29 2014 @ 07:56 PM EDT  
Jean

Part of the display area...................HWF table was on the right.

Looking farther down to the left towards Harrison Mills.

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 29 2014 @ 08:01 PM EDT  
Jean

Interpretive centre.

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 29 2014 @ 08:14 PM EDT  
Jean

For some reason I'm having trouble getting my pictures in here, so I'm taking a break and will try to post the others later.

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, September 29 2014 @ 08:44 PM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks for what you've posted so far, Jean. I really love that metal eagle sculpture in the first set of pictures.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: LiisaLadybug (offline) on Tuesday, September 30 2014 @ 02:53 PM EDT  
LiisaLadybug

I really enjoyed the beautiful day in Mission!

I am not very good with technology Winksigh sign so I am trying to see if I can actually post this.
(Jean has better photos.)

Liisa

Forum

Abbotsford, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:25 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate