In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. ~Aristotle
My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: queenie (offline) on Sunday, December 04 2011 @ 11:28 PM EST  
queenie

Panda Cub Updates

Friday, December 2
Things will be a little different around PandaLand for the next few days. We're getting a new roof installed over the viewing hut and dayrooms. Certain precautions have been taken to avoid any unnecessary accidents/issues with our lovable pandas. Both dayroom viewing and the first outdoor habitat have been blocked off from guests and the pandas while this project is underway, because we donít want to expose guests or the pandas to any debris from the roofing project. The pandas can be sensitive to anything out of the ordinary and we don't want them getting upset by all of the loud noise. As a result, we are only housing them inside the building and in habitats 2 and 3 (the latter of which is an off-exhibit area inaccessible to guests) during the day. We're currently rotating Xi Lan and Yang Yang between the outdoor yards while keeping Lun Lun and baby Po inside because mom can be sensitive and protective and Po doesn't shift reliably, yet.

Ironically, so far, big ole dad Yang Yang is the only one who seems really upset by any of this. He hates the noise! We had him in habitat 3 - as far from the building as we can get a panda - and he was pretty upset with everything going on. He's sensitive. We were able to get him to calm down eventually and he spent the afternoon resting. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!
While this project is underway, one panda can be viewed each day in habitat 2, which is the exhibit farthest from the dayrooms. We expect all of panda viewing to be open as normal by Tuesday December 6.
Jen
Keeper I, Carnivores

My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: queenie (offline) on Sunday, December 04 2011 @ 11:30 PM EST  
queenie

Video Camera12/1/11~Po & Lun Play Inside..~4.21 min. < Video link

....while the zoo is getting a new roof. We still get to see them on cam and the update explains that they can't be outside with the noise of the roofing with protective Mama Lun. {they'll be outside, again Tuesday, weather permitting Po is another sort of fair-weather panda like Mei Lan}

Click on image to download Red HeartRed Heart
Click on image to downloadWub
Click on image to downloadRed Heart

Video Camera12/2/11~Xi Lan Outside..~3.52 min. < Video link

..enjoying boo & walking around~can't believe how big he is getting~& you can see the roofing noise isn't bothering him~only Daddy Yang like the ZA update reported.

My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: queenie (offline) on Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 11:07 PM EST  
queenie

Panda Cub Updates

Wednesday, December 14
I collected data on Po and Lun Lun on Monday and was hoping to see something interesting to include in my update this week. No such luck. Po spent almost the entire time sleeping on the grate in the moat. As you know from previous updates, this is one of his favorite spots and was also one of Xi Lanís favorite spots when he was a cub. Lun Lun spent her time feeding on bamboo. She continues to have a voracious appetite, which is understandable given she is nursing a 25 kg cub. Po is eating more and more bamboo and likes his biscuits a lot, but he still nurses and receives most of his calories from his motherís milk. Lun Lun did go down into the moat to check on Po while I was watching. She nudged him and he woke up for a minute, but as soon as his mom left he curled up and went back to sleep. At least the data collection session was an accurate representation of the pandasí behavior. They do spend most of their time eating and sleeping.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Mammals

Monday, December 12
I hate the cold. I've been viciously fighting off all of the winter viruses that have been circling around Atlanta lately and so far it's working (did I just jinx myself?). The pandas, however, couldn't be happier with this chilly weather! While I'm bundled up in more layers than I can count, they're outside munching on their bamboo in utter bliss at temperatures they were built for. Actually, they're built for even colder temperatures that I hope Atlanta gets to avoid this winter! But I have to admit that it's nice to be able to let all of the bears outside in the fresh air for the whole day. It's especially fun to watch Po outside for multiple days in a row, snoozing...annoying his mom...being cute...being a typical clumsy cub...snoozing some more. I also have to admit that there are certain advantages to the temperatures being low enough that all the pandas can stay outside all day. That is that we can turn off the AC in the building for a few hours, so that we can attempt to stay warm! But as always, that A/C has to come back on to keep the building a panda-comfortable 65 degrees when we leave for the night. I am definitely learning the art of layering as a panda keeper!
Jen
Keeper I, Carnivores

Friday, December 9
Po is growing up so quickly. He is now close to 55 lbs. He is also learning a lot from his mom. He has decided to spend more time eating bamboo and searching for biscuits than sleeping. It is adorable to watch him sit next to Lun Lun and try to share the same piece of bamboo with her. He is also learning that when we ask him to shift inside a different area that he will be rewarded with delicious biscuits. The other morning I asked Lun Lun to shift inside, so that I could clean up her habitat from overnight. Usually, we just work around sleepy Po panda. When I checked on him he was perfectly at rest on the top of his structure. So, I started gathering all the supplies I needed to start cleaning up. As I was beginning to enter the dayroom I noticed Po was not on top of the structure anymore but patiently waiting at the shift door to come inside. PERFECT! I was able to open the door and he shifted in for some breakfast biscuits. The rest of the day he impressed us with his motivation for biscuits and continued to shift inside almost every time we asked. Thanks Po!
Sheena
Keeper I, Carnivores

Wednesday, December 7
I am not scheduled all that often to work the giant panda routine, but the last few times up there has started off with a scare. For years, I have come in at 7:00 and performed a live check on the pandas first thing. During this time, we check on all the pandas to make sure they are all alive, well and accounted for. The last several times, I have come in as usual and performed the check. I initially counted only three pandas instead of four. Looking in all the corners and behind all the bamboo still did not result in locating the other panda. The smallest one as a matter of fact. Before panic could set in and the alarm could be sounded, there was only one option left. Look up! Upon looking up, I spotted Po at the top of the den's mesh, wedged in a corner, lurking in the shadows, simply staring at me. I don't know if he was trying to hide or if he just likes being on top of the world in the morning. I think it is a little of both. Once he knew he was discovered, he came right down the mesh, and assumed his ready position for his morning biscuits, where he was joined by his mom. With everyone accounted for the crisis was averted and all was well again in the giant panda building.
Kenn
Lead Keeper of Carnivores

My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: queenie (offline) on Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 11:13 PM EST  
queenie

Click on image to download
Red HeartRed Heart

Red HeartRed HeartPo Is Decorating & Trimming His TreeRed HeartRed Heart

Video Camera 12/15/11~Po Plays With His Tree~4.58 min.< Video link

Before he decorates Po plays with his little tree. Red HeartWub

My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: queenie (offline) on Friday, December 16 2011 @ 09:43 AM EST  
queenie

Video Camera12/15/11~Lun Coaxes Po..~3.47 min. < Video link

...out of the moat. Out Fans have been looking over the edge, sometimes climbingRed Heart under the rail Wooh to see Po, under WubRed Heartlove Mama Lun's watchful eye. She goes down to get him up & he is still pretty sleepy Sleepy as he meanders around & under deck~~Lun gives him a wake-up nudge. Help emoOh the shame {in 2X he Red Heartwas moving slowly}

My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: queenie (offline) on Sunday, December 25 2011 @ 02:09 AM EST  
queenie

Panda Cub Updates

Wednesday, December 21
So it has been quite a while since I have worked in the panda area, and the word is that Po has become great at shifting inside when we need him to. When Po was younger he was highly unreliable about shifting in, especially when he was out in habitat 1 and down in the moat. Now he will come in when we call him, but it does take him a minute or two to come. Other news about Po is that he is now starting to eat bamboo on his own, which is very cute to watch.
Katie
Mammals Keeper I

Monday, December 19
I am sad to say that I am leaving Zoo Atlanta to look for new adventures. I have had a wonderful experience with all of my coworkers and many memorable times with all the animals with which I have had the opportunity to work. Here is a little montage of my panda experiences. In my first week working with giant pandas, Yang Yang was the first panda to welcome me with his amazing personality. He was given access to an inside hallway where we attached a large swing for him. The instant he saw it he spent about 20 minutes climbing and swinging on it. Lun Lun and Po were a little more distant and it took me a lot longer to get to know them. However, everyone can see that Lun Lun is a great mom and Po is a handful! I have watched little Po grow so much in the last six months. We used to watch him carry around the bamboo, not quite sure what to do with it and now he is chowing down eating whole pieces at a time. Xi Lan has made his mark in my life everyday! He is a wonderful bear. He always gives me something to laugh at and watch in amazement as he figures out how to grow up panda! I look forward to reading all the updates to come and checking up on these fantastic animals! Thanks for all of the sweet and silly memories.
Sheena
Keeper I

Friday, December 16
Just like Rebecca, I had hoped for some excitement during my data collection session that I could share with you in this update. And just like Rebecca, I didnít succeed! I didnít even see Po the entire time I was watching, so I assumed that he was in his favorite spot in the moat. Although Lun was fairly active, I found it was more interesting to watch Yang in the off-exhibit habitat. I hadnít looked closely at that area since weíve started regularly putting the pandas in it and I was surprised to see how much of the naturally-growing bamboo had been consumed. Although the space isnít as pretty as it once was, itís nice to know that the pandas have enjoyed the bamboo that theyíve come across in that exhibit. Fortunately for them, the keepers are still able to get them fresh bamboo from the cooler, just like they can in any other enclosure at the Zoo. And for the record, Yang ate most of the time, except when he wandered over to the pool for a drink of water.
Megan Wilson, Ph.D.
Assistant Curator of Mammals

My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:39 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate