Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Turtle Bay, CA - 2015 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, September 07 2014 @ 12:18 PM EDT (Read 139867 times)  
JudyB

Turtle Bay, CA - Bald Eagle Cam

Home of the Friends of the Redding Eagles

http://www.turtlebay.org/eaglecam

2014 was a "getting to know you" year for Liberty and her new mate Spirit, and sadly none of their three eggs hatched - but we got to see what a great partner Spirit is becoming, and we are hoping to watch them raise a family this year.

2014-2015 Season:

Our thanks to the Turtle Bay Exploration Park for providing the cam that allows us to watch these eagles from around the world.

(If the eaglecam goes off air during non-business hours, please let Ron Cordova know at this email - rcordova@turtlebay.org - thanks, Ron!)

Forum member CA Wildlife put together an excellent chart with data about the eagles nesting at Turtle Bay - click here (link last updated Sept 10 2015)

S'cap from February 21, 2014, by cococat9 - Spirit arrives to incubate the eggs

Link to last year's thread for this nest

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, September 07 2014 @ 12:19 PM EDT  
JudyB

History:

The camera was initially installed by CalTrans (the California Department of Transportation) to make sure that nearby highway construction didn't have a negative impact on the eagle nest. Back in the fall of 2007, Caltrans had tried to discourage the eagles from nesting so near a planned highway project by placing a large cone in their nest, but the eagles were not easily discouraged (read the story here)) - and public sentiment favored the eagles - so CalTrans decided to work with the eagles and the public, installing a camera to make sure they weren't disrupting the nesting behavior - and making it available to the public (thank you!). The construction project was completed, and the Turtle Bay Exploration Park took over the cam for the 2012 nesting season - thank you! However - the eagles had other ideas, and moved to a new location - near their old nest, but out of view of the cams - so we were not able to watch them in 2012, but the great local observer team took up the slack, and provided great coverage. Money was raised to move the cams to the new location for the 2013 nesting season, though there were some challenges getting the cam online; unfortunately shortly after it finally started streaming, the wide angle cam was apparently damaged when a limb fell down, so the only view of the nest in 2013 was a very zoomed in closeup that let us see the feet and tails of the eagles, but not much more. The folks from Turtle Bay did some work on the cams after the 2013 season, and we had a much better view in 2014.

The pair, named Liberty (F) and Patriot (M), successfully raised two eaglets in 2008, and three eaglets in 2009 and 2010. They laid two eggs in 2011, both of which hatched, and the eaglets fledged successfully. Because there was not a cam, we don't know how many eggs they laid in 2012, but we do know they fledged two charming eaglets.

2013 started out like other years, but became a year of loss and transition, with the death of Patriot and the loss of two newly hatched chicks (please click here for more information). As summer ended, Liberty was still being seen in the area, and was being courted by at least two younger males.

The eagles usually return in October - and we all were watching to see if Liberty would return and who she would choose for a mate. A male who appeared similar to one of the ones that had been in the area over the summer appeared first, and then on October 6, GlassCutter7 caught Liberty and a male working on the nest:

Liberty's new mate was named Spirit October 22 in a contest run by the Record Searchlight newspaper.

Click on image to download
Photo by eaglewoman - Liberty is on the left and Spirit is on the right as they perch atop the Christmas Tree, which is directly across the Highway 44 Bridge from their nest.

The pair laid three eggs, but unfortunately none of them hatched. There were several disruptions which might have resulted in damage to one or more of the eggs (though they looked all right afterwards). First, about a week after the third egg was laid, a large subadult landed on the nest while Spirit was incubating; he stood up to the much larger bird, and managed to chase her off the nest, but they both were moving across the nestbowl during that time; two days later, only two eggs were seen. The image below is from a great video by priscillash:

There was also a nighttime attack on March 1st while Liberty was incubating the eggs, possibly by a great horned owl. Liberty successfully fended off the attack. The eggs were laid February 12, 15 and 19, and apparently broke or fell apart on March 1 (before the nighttime attack), March 15 and March 18. Observers saw Liberty remove the third egg from the nest, and said that the remains appeared to be liquid, so perhaps the egg (and maybe one or both of the other eggs) weren't viable. The logistics of mating are quite complex, so it is possible that they didn't achieve the type of contact needed to transfer sperm, or at least not enough to fertilize all the eggs. That does seem to be a skill that improves with practice, so we have our fingers crossed for next year.

The pair continued to be seen throughout the summer, patrolling their territory, and perhaps getting more comfortable with each other.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Jean (offline) on Friday, September 12 2014 @ 05:23 PM EDT  
Jean

3:20pm...... wave Good afternoon Judy and Terri! Thank you so much Judy for this new link to our discussion forum for the new season! I am looking forward to seeing Spirit and Liberty back here again...............and we all hope to see little bobbleheads this year!

This is how the nest currently looks.

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Tuesday, September 16 2014 @ 12:25 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

wave Hi Jean!

Yes, we are all anxiously awaiting the arrival of Liberty and Spirit!!!Cheers I went down there today on a bike ride to take a look for our feathered friends, but no luck!

I will keep checking this week and let you know as soon as I see them!

For any of you who are new to this forum, Welcome We are thrilled to have you along for the ride!Bravo

Here are a few photos of the gorgeous, Miss Liberty, from the 2013-2014 season...Liberty has graced us with her presence for the past 10 years and we look forward to spending yet another exciting season with her and her new mate, Spirit.

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Tuesday, September 16 2014 @ 12:44 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

And, a few of the handsome Mr. Spirit from the 2013-14 season...

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, September 17 2014 @ 04:58 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thank You JudyB for the great summary of our beloved Redding eagles! The links you provided were wonderful and brought back some memories of a very challenging time when Patriot & Liberty stood their ground and fought for their home in the middle of our great city!Bravo

I have been walking and riding through the nesting territory all week, in anticipation of the eagles' return! It reminds me of how I felt waiting for Christmas morning! I just love this time of year! The temperatures have been cooling down a bit, thank goodness!!! Apparently, we have had 50 days of 100 degree temperatures this year!!! So, the cool air feels wonderful!!!!

Lots of turkey vultures soaring along the banks of the river casting their shadows on the bluffs. I've seen a red shouldered hawk several times near Christmas Tree and flying by the nest tree area, and an egret on the riverbank under Family Tree, but still no sign of our eagles!

One really cool sighting that I had on my walk today was a Peregrine Falcon perched above Bluff Branch!!! I have never gotten a shot of one of those before! Check out the size of the feet and talons on this thing!!!
I'm sure it won't stick around once Liberty & Spirit return to one of their favorite perches!Titter

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:35 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate