Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Eagle Cams
 Maine Coast - 2015 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, September 06 2014 @ 02:32 PM EDT (Read 4001 times)  
JudyB

Maine Coast - Bald Eagle Cam

Link to the cam: http://www.briloon.org/outreach/webcams/eaglecam-1
Link to the cam on UStream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/brieaglcam (starts with ad which can be noisy)

Warning: For the last three years, this pair has hatched two chicks, and the younger chick has died of sibling rivalry when 5-8 weeks old; we hope that won't happen this year, but viewers should be aware that it might.

Link to the Maine Bald Eagle Cam forum: http://www.window-on-wildlife.com
Link to Maine Eagle Cam Forum Archives: http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/index.php?mforum=tdbc

Bar Harbor, Maine, is a coastal town in Hancock County that should have similar conditions when checking the weather.

This is a streaming cam with sound; it did have night vision but that has stopped working, and the tree where the cam is located is unsafe to climb so that cannot be fixed. As of September 6, 2014, the cam is offline; someone from BioDiversity Research Institute (BRI) is hoping to visit the site in September, talk with the landowners, and hopefully find a way to either get the cam running again, or to install a new cam.

Before 2011, eggs were generally laid in the first half of March, with chicks in mid-April, and fledging in early July; more recently, eggs have arrived in mid to late March.

2014-2015 Season:

• cam online: December 29
  • adults begin work on nest:
  • eggs laid:
  • hatched:
  • branched:
  • fledged:

(Information from BioDiversity Research Institute)

May 4-5 2014 screen caps posted by JudyB

June 6 2014 screen cap posted by IrishEyes

July 13 2014 screen cap posted by debs

Link to last year's thread for the Maine bald eagle cam

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, September 06 2014 @ 02:32 PM EDT  
JudyB

History

The cam is located in coastal Hancock County, and the eagles have nested at this site since 1995 and raised 23 offspring, making them one of the most successful pairs in Maine when the cam first came online. This is a beautiful nest on the coast of Maine.

They fledged two eaglets on cam in 2006 (a third chick was lost, likely due to sibling rivalry), but had tragedy in 2007 - the weather was brutal right after the chicks hatched and they lost them; they did not lay eggs in 2008 or 2009 (taking a year or two off after a nest failure is apparently fairly common). Eagles were seen at the nest regularly in 2010, though it's not certain if this is the pair from earlier years or if a change occurred at some point since the loss of the chicks in 2007; they did not lay eggs. The current pair actually laid two eggs in 2011, and we all had our hopes up for a successful season - but it was not to be; it's not clear quite what happened, but there was a bad storm shortly after the eggs were laid and the female (who might be relatively young) was gone for several days; when she returned she didn't resume incubating, and the male was unable to do it all, so the nest was eventually left untended and subsequently failed; there may also have been one or more other eagles in the area, adding to the stress.

In both 2012 and 2013, the pair hatched two chicks - and both years the younger one was lost to sibling rivalry when food deliveries were suddenly reduced in the wake of a major rainstorm in early June, after doing quite well for 5-6 weeks. It seemed to me that the adults spent less time with the chicks than at most other nests I watch - the chicks were alone during the rainstorm in 2012, though they were less than 5 weeks old, and my impression is that the surviving eaglet in both cases did more self-feeding at a young age than normal. In 2014, they had two chicks that hatched a day apart, and both were doing well for almost 8 weeks, and then there was a decrease in food deliveries, the older started getting all the food, and when the deliveries stopped, viciously attacked the younger; I'm not sure the older actually killed the younger, or if he/she died of starvation/dehydration - but starting about 24 hours after the last food delivery, the older started trying to kill and eat the younger; the adults returned and began delivering food after the younger chick died; they were not seen for about 48 hours (summary of events - June 16-22, 2014 from the Window-on-WIldlife forum).

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, September 06 2014 @ 02:33 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, September 06 2014 @ 02:33 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, December 30 2014 @ 09:27 AM EST  
JudyB

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The cam is back! It came online late yesterday, and it was reported on the Maine forum that an eagle visited early this morning! I am so thrilled to see it back!

Click on image to download

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, December 30 2014 @ 10:19 AM EST  
IrishEyes

10:19am

Good Morning Judy B......... I am delighted for you and all who love this nest that this cam is streaming.....hugKeeping good thoughts for a successful season at this nest.

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, December 31 2014 @ 08:56 AM EST  
JudyB

Wednesday, December 31

Nice to see you here, Bev - and I'm also keeping my fingers crossed!

8:51 am
We just had a brief visit by one of the adults - first time I've seen one since the cam came back on. He or she looked around a bit and moved a stick - which is a start! Because of the angle of the cam, it's hard to tell how much work they've done on the nest this fall.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, January 01 2015 @ 10:30 AM EST  
JudyB

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!

10:27 am

I didn't realize at first that they were both in the nest. Smile

One has left now, and the other is keeping watch.

Fingers crossed for a good year for this pair.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:19 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate