Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Lafarge Vancouver BC - Bald Eagle Nest
 Lafarge 2014/2015 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos
 |  Printable Version
By: gemini (offline) on Sunday, August 31 2014 @ 04:34 PM EDT (Read 140209 times)  
gemini

Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos - Lafarge Vancouver Bald Eagle Nest
2014/15 Nesting Season

NOTE:
This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the Lafarge Nest.

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the Lafarge Nest captured via the webcams.

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them) - and if you would limit the smileys - that would be lovely!

Cam Links:
Sideview and Overhead - larger version
Sideview - smaller version
Overhead - smaller version

The Cameras
The 2014/15 season will continue to feature our 20 x HD PTZ cam with microphone plus the side view cam mounted on the Tower, Please read important technical information regarding the PTZ cam and zooming in the two posts below.

Map of the area showing the Lafarge nest in relation to our other nests:
(Click for a bigger version)

Click on image to download

Useful LInks

Significant Dates - 2014-2015 Nesting Season

Mom Lafarge returned home: Adult seen September 22, 7:56 am - probably Mom, though hard to confirm

Dad Lafarge returned home: Both seen September 27, 5:11 pm - we think previous visits were all by Mom, but hard to be sure.

Tree and Nest Down: The nest tree broke in a bad wind and rain storm the night of October 21-22 bringing down the nest and overhead camera; a before-and-after picture; one adult seen October 25; both seen October 27

New Nest Off Cam: Karen Bills told us October 31st that the pair nested 5-6 blocks away on Pandora Street before moving to Lafarge, and gemini, Annemie and Stan visited that nest location November 1st - and found that the eagles were hard at work on their old nest.

Eggs Laid: At least 2 eggs laid - date unknown (both adults were last seen together at the artificial nest around 10:20 am on March 14, and someone was in the new Pandora nest every time observers checked on March 15 - so it's likely the first egg was laid around that time).

Eggs Hatched: #1chick first seen May 11, #2 chick first seen May 17.

Eaglets Named: #1- Pan, #2 Dora

Date(s) Fledged::
#1-Dora, July 23, 10.17 AM First flight observed by HWF member; (A flight by Dora in the afternoon of the previous day was reported by a local neighbour)
#2-Pan, July 30, 10.15 AM First flight observed by HWF member; (A flight by Pan earlier on the same morning was reported by a local neighbor)

Left the area for fall migration:
#1-Dora, Saturday, July 25 at 10:52 am. Last seen by HWF member;
#2-Pan, Last seen by HWF member Aug 2, 1:00 pm; (Last seen by local neighbor Aug 3, 10:00 am)
Pa last seen by HWF member July 30; (Last seen by local neighbor, July 31 in the morning delivering fish to Pan.)

Nest Adoptions for 2016 are now available!

To date in the calendar year 2015 the Lafarge nest has been adopted by:

~ gemini
~ JudyB

Previous Year's Adoptions

You too can honor your favorite fine feathered family -
and support the work of Hancock Wildlife -
by adopting the HWF nest of your choice -

Click HERE to see how!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Sunday, August 31 2014 @ 06:14 PM EDT  
gemini

For identification of Parents: (scaps taken before they got into whatever they got into.)

- Ma has the lighter feathers...greyish brown. Pa is much darker....feathers almost black:

Mom (foreground) and Dad

- There is a distinct difference in size as Dad is considerably smaller than Mom:

Taken May 15, 2014 Thank you, Martin Passchier

When last seen shortly before leaving for the 2014 fall migration both Mom and Dad were once again sporting blackish smudges on the head area. Mom also showed some staining at the end of her beak. They may or may not still have the stains when they return!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

gemini

Lafarge Cameras - re technical explanation of the picture quality

The Side View Cam: The sun glare will always break up the picture quality of the camera - especially in the spring while the sun is still low in the sky. As summer nears and the sun moves further north, the problem will likely resolve itself. Clarity of the picture at night is limited due to the distance of the cam from the nest tree.

Overhead view: Unlike the cams at our other nests, the Lafarge cam may experience freezing during zooming. This is due to the cam being run on only 1MB of bandwidth as opposed to our other cams which run on either 5MB or 10MB of bandwidth. Unfortunately, because of the setup at Lafarge, the bandwidth cannot be increased at this time and Shaw is not available in the area.

Infrared light has been added to the nest and this combined with the lighting on the Lafarge property, gives the overhead cam a clear view of the nest at night.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

gemini

A bit of information about our ptz cam operations.

Our zoomers have been requested to keep the zoom cam and the embedded cam open simultaneously. There is a delay from the time they zoom the cam to the time you see it so they need to see when the change takes place before moving the camera again.

Having two windows open on their screen, which may be all they can fit on their monitor, they can't always read what is being posted at the forum at that time. If you post that you want the zoom changed or the panning changed our zoomerss are not aware of your request until after they leave zooming and open the forum window again.

Our own zoomers are not the only people who can access our cam controls. The landowners have access to change the zoom/pan which takes it out of our control. David and Ken can also change the cam at any given time without our knowledge. It is not always our own zoom team on the cameras.

Our zoomers are experienced eagle observers. If the cam zooms in closely they may be checking on the health of a chick/adult, checking food items, checking markings on an adult (eg: Delta Dad has a small spot next to his pupil on the right eye which identifies him from Mom), checking beaks/feet which may change colour if eagles are poisoned, and panning the area checking for intruders and watching eaglets once they learn to branch. Many times observations which may be of concern are reported to David Hancock for his biology records.

We wish we could accommodate all requests to have the camera in the exact spot each of you want it to be but that is impossible.

Thanks.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Wednesday, September 03 2014 @ 03:35 PM EDT  
gemini

Here is a S'cap showing some of the Commonly Used Terms to Describe Nest Locations. Thanks toTerry for putting this together.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 22 2014 @ 11:23 AM EDT  
JudyB

8:14 am
Well, this looks like a real good news/bad news situation, given Karen's post late last night:

Announcement: Sorry for the late notice but after many changes of plans, I've just learned that David Hancock and I will be meeting a production company at Lafarge tomorrow so they can film David going up to a nest. Ken will probably arrive around 10 AM. David and I have a very early (7:45 AM) meeting in Blaine, WA with the Blaine School Board and will come down to Lafarge after that.

(Added - first seen at 7:56 am - didn't quite believe it)

David's in a meeting so I can't call him. I've sent a text to Ken.

I have no idea if this is one of the resident pair, or a visitor. I'm not clearly seeing smudges, but the wind sometimes makes the head feathers appear darker.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 22 2014 @ 11:27 AM EDT  
JudyB

I didn't watch this cam that much - do any of you who watched more know who this is?

The side view cam is very touchy - not easy to zoom in any closer.

I've told Ken, so he can let David know.

Added -
I just checked the thread for last year, and the first eagle was seen September 26, and the thread said Mom was first seen on the 26th the previous year as well.

I don't have time to do more research - need to focus on work - but will keep my eye on the cam. So far the eagle has just sat on the branch - no attempt to check the nest (unless he/she was there briefly at the beginning and I missed it - I saw someone on the branch when the cam cycled.

I don't think I posted the time - I first noticed an eagle when the cam cycled past at 7:56 am.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, September 22 2014 @ 11:34 AM EDT  
jkr

8:33 am
Message from Ken.
The Lafarge cams will be down today while work is done at the site.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:30 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate