Forum Index > Conservation  > Conservation
 Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 12:50 PM EST (Read 40214 times)  
JudyB

This thread is for information and reports on wildlife rescues and rehabilitation.

A primary focus of the thread will be the work that goes on behind the scenes to make it possible for rescued birds and animals to recover and be released back to the wild - similar to the information that was found in the International Bird Rescue Research Center thread in the old forum.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: beans (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 12:59 PM EST  
beans

I am so glad to see this new thread!

Let's begin with a quote from The Outermost House, written in 1928, by Henry Beston:

"We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth."

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 12:59 PM EST  
beans

I have been volunteering at the International Bird Rescue Research Center in Fairfield, California, since 2007. Our sister center is located in San Pedro, California.

The International Bird Rescue Research Center (IBRRC) has been helping birds around the world since 1971. Its mission is to mitigate human impact on aquatic birds and other wildlife. This is achieved through rehabilitation, emergency response, education, research, planning and training.

IBRRC Website

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM EST  
beans

In 1971 two Standard Oil tankers collided beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, spilling 900,000 gallons of crude oil. Little was known about oiled bird care at that time and despite the courageous, attempts of hundreds of volunteers, only 300 birds survived from the 7,000 birds collected.

oiled surf scoter

After the February 1971 spill a small group of volunteers formed the International Bird Rescue Research Center (IBRRC). It's primary goals were developing oiled wildlife cleaning and rehabilitation techniques, promoting ongoing research in this field and providing oiled wildlife response capabilities. In 1975, IBRRC moved to permanent quarters at Aquatic Park in Berkeley, California.

As IBRRC began to grow, it responded to an increasing number of oil spills including spills outside of California, rapidly expanding its body of knowledge. IBRRC has cared for over 140 species of wild birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians.

In 1994, IBRRC joined California's Oiled Wildlife Care Network (OWCN). This network has 24 participating organizations, permanent facilities and trained volunteers within the state. IBRRC acts as OWCN's primary bird response organization in California.

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 01:02 PM EST  
beans

Beginning in 2001, IBRRC helped open two new state-funded centers in California. In February, IBRRC moved from Berkeley to a new 10,000 square foot facility in the Cordelia/Fairfield area, about 45 miles from San Francisco. In March we opened a second facility in San Pedro near the busy Los Angeles-Long Beach Harbor. Both are new additions to the Oiled Wildlife Care Network, for which we manage oil spill response within California.

With staff and the help of volunteers, we operate wildlife hospitals at both locations 365 days a year, where we continue to develop new and better treatments and protocols for aquatic birds and waterfowl. Both facilities have education programs for both students and volunteers wanting to be trained in oil spill response. IBRRC maintains a library in Fairfield that contains a plethora of literature on all subjects related to the field of oiled wildlife response and rehabilitation and the field of aquatic bird rehabilitation.

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM EST  
beans

With an oil spill response team of more than 25 wildlife experts , IBRRC has managed the oiled bird rehabilitation efforts in over 200 oil spills in 11 states, including the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska. Our international work has taken us to seven different countries and two U.S. territories.

Oiled grebe

List of IBRRC Oil Spill Responses

IBRRC provides training and consultation to the petroleum industry, local, state, and federal Fish and Wildlife agencies, wildlife rehabilitators and researchers. Federal and state permits grant IBRRC permission to work with wild birds in captivity. IBRRC is a non-profit 501-c-3 organization that relies on the petroleum industry, fees for services, state generated response contracts, research grants, foundation grants, and individual contributions for financial support.

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM EST  
beans

I'm still not sure how I ended up volunteering at IBRRC.

I took an early retirement in September, 2007. I was going to stay home for six months, reading, gardening, learning to play bridge, and then volunteer at a local raptor center. My neighbor, Carol, had been urging me for the last year or so to volunteer at IBRRC. "That's too far away," I told her. "Besides, I would rather work with raptors."

On November 7, 2007, the Cosco Busan container ship collided with the Golden Gate Bridge, spilling almost 54,000 gallons of toxic bunker fuel into San Francisco Bay.

Cosco Busan with huge hole where it hit the bridge

I went to Fairfield and talked the volunteer coordinator into taking me, even though I had no experience.

More than 2,500 birds died in the spill. Wildlife biologists fear that more than 20,000 birds may ultimately perish from the disaster. They believe thousands of birds landed in the oily bay and then left the area to die elsewhere. Some also may have been eaten by predators.

Link to story in San Francisco Chronicle

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 01:04 PM EST  
beans

miserable oiled bird awaits intake at IBRRC

1,084 birds arrived at our hospital.
1,858 were found dead in the field.
653 died or were humanely euthanized in our hospital.
421 were washed, rehabilitated, and released back into the wild

a tiny grebe gets washed and rinsed

I was invited to my very first release in December. Instead of releasing this group of grebes, I decided to film them. My $99 Flip Video camera was hardly out of the box when I made the video. It was shown at the San Francisco Bay Film Festival the following Janaury. Here is the YouTube version:

video: Oiled Birds Washed and Released!

Even the park ranger took part -- Smile

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:06 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate