Forum Index > Cryptozoology, Mysterious and Extinct Creatures > Cryptozoology, Mysterious and Extinct Creatures
 Cryptozoology - do these creatures exist ?
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Friday, January 08 2010 @ 08:58 AM EST (Read 2815 times)  

This topic may include "animals" that we believe exist, may have been sighted by few, but we have no confirmed proof of having existed. The Yeti, otherwise known as Sasquatch, is an example of this.

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM
By: jkr (offline) on Friday, January 08 2010 @ 09:22 AM EST  

Hunt for Nessie ~ the Loch Ness Monster in the Highlands of Scotland

Loch Ness, the largest freshwater lake in Scotland on the British Isles, is 24 miles long and 1 1/2 miles wide. It has an average depth of 450 feet and at times plunges close to 1000 feet. It is cold and murky, with dangerous currents. In short, it is the perfect place to hide a monster from even the most prying eyes of science.

The Loch Ness "monster" -- affectionately known as "Nessie" -- is an alleged plesiosaur-like creature living in Loch Ness. Many sightings of the "monster" have been recorded, going back at least as far as St. Columba, the Irish monk from the 6th century.

The modern legend of Nessie began in 1934 with Dr. Robert Wilson, a London physician, who allegedly photographed a plesiosaur-like beast with a long neck emerging out of the murky waters. Since that date there have been numerous sightings but no proof of Nessie's existence.

Enjoy the World's first live video streaming camera overlooking Loch Ness and maybe you'll be on the list of those who have seen the Loch Ness Monster.

This streaming camera has a number of preset views overlooking Loch Ness and also the 13th century Urquhart Castle.

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM
By: jkr (offline) on Monday, January 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM EST  

If you have a passion for reading everything about Sasquatch there are some very interesting books available at Hancock House Publishers -- click here

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM
By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, January 24 2010 @ 09:37 AM EST  

Cameron Lake Monster Sighted

Published: January 08, 2010

Cammie, the purported Cameron Lake monster, has made its presence known once again.

This time the creature was sighted by Coombs, BC resident Kim MacDonald and her eight-year-old son Tristan, who were driving towards Port Alberni on just after 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 5.

“I had just picked my son up from school and we were driving towards Port Alberni and were getting towards the far end of the lake when something kept catching my eye,” MacDonald said. “At first I just thought it was a bird skimming across the water.”

However, as she got closer to the disturbance, that all changed in a hurry.

“There was an enormous splash, like when someone jumps into the water,” she said.

Where the splash had been, she said, there was now a large object — something that didn’t look like a log. To her, it looked alive.

“It was big,” she said. “My son said, ‘Oh my God, what’s that mum?’”

Fortunately, MacDonald was at a spot where it was possible to pull over to the side of the highway and she did.

“The head, if that’s what it was, was huge, bigger than a beaver,” she said. “I grabbed my camera and hopped on top of my truck.”

MacDonald was able to capture about a second and a half of video before she switched the camera to picture mode and snapped one shot before whatever it was sank out of view.

“After I took that picture it was gone,” she said. “I drive past there all the time and I’ve never seen anything like that before. It was round and big. My heart was pounding for a long time.”

The object or creature did not re-appear and MacDonald and her son continued on to Port Alberni.

“When I came back later I kept looking for it, really looking, but it was gone,” she said.

MacDonald has no theories about what she saw, although she has a couple of ideas about what it wasn’t.

“I think it’s definitely not a fish or a beaver,” she said.

Cameron Lake has long been reputed to have some form of large creature living in it, with numerous reports over the years of brief sightings of strange ripples and other disturbances in the water. The lake made national news last fall when a team of Vancouver cryptozoologists made an expedition to Cameron Lake to investigate.

By Neil Horner - Parksville Qualicum Beach News

Link to news article and video:

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM
By: Roanna (offline) on Thursday, March 03 2011 @ 06:43 PM EST  

I found this article in Discovery News, I hope you enjoy it. Published March 2, 2011.

North America's Lake Monsters

The Internet has been buzzing about a recent photograph allegedly depicting a monster surfacing in a British lake. As Eric Niiler of Discovery News noted, "The latest entry in the lake monster sweepstakes is making a bid for glory [is the] 'Bownessie' of Lake Windermere, England....Tom Pickles and Sara Harrington, work colleagues who were kayaking at the lake as part of a team-building exercise, snapped this photo of the possible sea creature with a mobile phone. It appears to show a multi-humped black object moving through the water from left to right."

When the news broke, many people were surprised. Not just that a dark, multi-humped monster had supposedly been photographed on a lake, but that it wasn't at Loch Ness.

Most people know about Nessie, the denizen in Ness, one of Scotland's many lakes (or "lochs"Wink. Reports of something odd in Loch Ness only date back to the 1930s, and a famous 1934 photo of a silhouetted, serpentine head and neck helped propel Nessie into international stardom (unfortunately the photo was later revealed to be a hoax).

The lake has been searched for nearly 80 years using everything including cameras, divers, sonar, submarines, and dolphins, yet no real evidence has been found.

"If you're interested in lake monsters, you needn't go all the way to Europe," Daniel Loxton told Discovery News.

Loxton, editor of Junior Skeptic magazine and co-author of an upcoming book on lake monsters, says that "every human culture has stories of water monsters, and besides, Europeans brought their own monsters with them to North America. European-style monsters manifested early in tributaries of the St. Lawrence river, and then along the coast of Maine. They were reported in lakes Erie and Ontario. Today, monsters are said to haunt dozens of other lakes across Canada and the United States."

Here’s a sample:

Crescent Lake is a picturesque body of water in northeastern Newfoundland near the small town of Robert’s Arm. Robert's Arm is gorgeous, with walking trails snaking over lush green hills and around the placid lake. The lake, deep and cold, is allegedly home to a lake monster known as Cressie. As you enter the town, a life-size(?) model of Cressie greets visitors.

Quebec's Lake Memphremagog, which extends down into north-central Vermont, is said to be home to a lake monster, Memphre, with reports supposedly dating as far back as 1816.

In British Columbia's Lake Okanagan, there supposedly exists the Ogopogo monster. It is said to be dark, up to 70 feet long, and have a series of humps. It is the world's second most famous creature after Nessie, and like many lake monsters, native Indians are said to have described the beast in their legends and myths.

America has its share of reputed aquatic beasts as well, including Lake Tahoe's Tessie. But the best known lives in Lake Champlain, which forms the border between Vermont and New York. "Champ," as the creature is called, has allegedly been seen by hundreds of witnesses and is anywhere between 10 and 187 feet long, has one or more humps, and is gray, black, dark green, or other colors.

The small town of Port Henry, New York, is the self-proclaimed "Home of Champ" and has a large wooden board that records monster sightings. The best evidence for Champ -- in fact, for any lake monster -- was a 1977 photo taken by Sandra Mansi showing what appeared to be a dark head and hump in the lake. Later investigation showed that the object was almost certainly a floating log that looked serpentine from a certain angle.

All these monsters have at least one thing in common: a lack of good scientific evidence.

The Lake Windermere "Bownessie" photo seems likely to be a hoax; in fact Loren Coleman, Director of the International Cryptozoology Museum in Portland, Maine, has his suspicions: "The evidence brought forth is only as trustworthy as the people bringing it to us. What do we know about Tom Pickles and Sarah Harrington, who saw the creature during their company's team building exercise? How is this all tied to a fundraising effort they were in the midst of conducting and desired to obtain publicity for? I'm not saying they are not to be taken seriously, but UK investigators should do some background checks."

Coleman notes that previous lake monster photos have many explanations. "Some are unexplained. Some are fakes and hoaxes. Some are garbage bags. Some are otters. Some are humans. Some are other known animals."

With the caveat that "unexplained" does not mean "unexplainable," whatever the images of "monsters" in Windermere and other lakes truly are, they are probably accounted for on this list.

Link to article and pictures: ... 10302.html

San Rafael,

Profile Email   PM
By: Pat B (offline) on Monday, May 23 2011 @ 07:28 PM EDT  
Pat B

University pond reveals hidden history of fungi

Researchers at the University of Exeter have uncovered a ‘missing link’ in the fungal tree of life after analysing samples taken from the university’s pond.

Their study, published in Nature, explains the discovery of a hitherto unknown type of fungi which has fundamentally expanded the scientific understanding of this group of organisms.

Fungi are hugely important as they interact with plants and animals, and are the primary way in which biomass, such as dead plants or animals, are broken down and recycled.

Dr Tom Richards, from the University of Exeter’s Biosciences department and the Natural History Museum London, said: “This study has been very surprising – not least because the original sample came from the nearby pond. Fungi have been well studied for 150 years and it was thought we had a good understanding of the major evolutionary groups, but these findings have changed that radically.

“Current understanding of fungal diversity turns out to be only half the story – we’ve discovered this diverse and deep evolutionary branch in fungi that has remained hidden all this time.”

The researchers have temporarily named the new group cryptomycota – which is Greek for ‘hidden fungi’.

Dr Meredith Jones, also of the University of Exeter and the Natural History Museum London, found the microbes. She said: "While the first sample used in our investigation was taken from the university pond, cryptomycota are present in samples taken from all over the world. The huge genetic diversity and prevalence of this group leads us to believe they probably play an important role in a range of environmental processes.

In this study, the researchers noticed an unusual group of DNA sequence in samples from the pond on the University of Exeter’s Streatham Campus. They then illuminated the cells of the cryptomycota using a fluorescent probe and were able for the first time to observe these hitherto hidden fungi.

This work was primarily supported by a Natural Environment Research Council grant (NE/F011709/1) to Dr Tom Richards and is a result of an international collaboration between Dr Richards group and Dr Ramon Massana’s group at the Institut de Cičncies del Mar, Barcelona.

Date: 12 May 2011

Read More here

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:50 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Please Donate

Please Donate!