Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Delta, BC Turf Farm Nest #298
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, April 14 2014 @ 02:37 AM EDT (Read 8281 times)  
karenbills

This nest is located on a turf farm right across the street from the Delta airport. It is new this year. A couple of HWF members have photographed it and then it was discovered that one of the eagle pair has a leg band. That same eagle also has an eye that looks injured. It is dilated in an unusual way.

Here are two of Martin Passchier's photos that he took in March. He has enhanced the photo to show the eye and the leg band numbers. It would be wonderful if we could get the full set of numbers on the band in order to identify this eagle as we were able to do with Ma Harrison Mills aka Mrs. Honeycomb. Thanks so much, Martin.

Click on pics twice to show full screensize.

Click on image to download

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: ConfusionCircle (offline) on Monday, April 14 2014 @ 06:24 AM EDT  
ConfusionCircle

I visited this nest over the weekend, and I did notice the band. The numbers that I can readily see are: 629-304?. Maybe that last number is a 9?

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, April 16 2014 @ 12:50 AM EDT  
karenbills

Great shot, Jason. 629 - 304_ _. There are a total of 8 numbers so we need the last two. Then we can find out the history of this eagle.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: ConfusionCircle (offline) on Monday, May 05 2014 @ 06:42 PM EDT  
ConfusionCircle

Something about this nest doesn't feel right to me... On Saturday (May 3, 2014), one of the couple was sitting on the nest, but yesterday when I went to see if the babies have hatched, the nest was totally abandoned and there were 6 eagles sitting in the tree, a mix of adults and juveniles. My friend and I were there for about an hour, and the nest was completely ignored by the eagles. I did not notice if any of the eagles nearby were the occupants of the nest. I wonder if the eggs were predated upon or otherwise destroyed....?

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, May 05 2014 @ 09:48 PM EDT  
karenbills

Well David Hancock and I both thought it was a weird tree to choose for a nest considering there are usually a half dozen eagles perched there. Maybe the new couple gave up trying to hold on to it. Too bad. Thanks for the report, Jason.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: ConfusionCircle (offline) on Sunday, May 11 2014 @ 12:44 AM EDT  
ConfusionCircle

I went back to this nest today and stayed for a few minutes...there were no eagles in or around the nest. I suppose there is a possibility that an eagle was hunkered down low enough to not be seen, but I think the nest is too shallow. Unfortunately, I think this nest has been abandoned.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: ConfusionCircle (offline) on Thursday, November 06 2014 @ 12:59 AM EST  
ConfusionCircle

I saw activity in this nest yesterday & today....seems to be the same female...has an injury to her right eye that seems to have healed somewhat from earlier this year.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, November 06 2014 @ 08:39 PM EST  
karenbills

Thanks for the report, Jason. Good to know the same female has returned. We look forward to any photos you can get of her.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate