Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
 Dyfi Wales Osprey Cam 2014-2016
 |  Printable Version
By: mia (offline) on Saturday, April 05 2014 @ 04:34 AM EDT (Read 19040 times)  
mia

.Karen wave Hopefully Ilmar and Irma returns safely and soon... fingers crossed

Meanwhile in Wales.
http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/stream
~9.20-9.30 AM
Click on image to download
Mating...

2016 Posts Start Here

Forum

Helsinki, Finland

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (online) on Thursday, April 10 2014 @ 01:47 PM EDT  
JudyB

Hi mia! I've separated this out to start a separate thread. Please let me know if you'd like to have the name of the thread changed.

I'd ask about the names of the resident pair - but it sounds as if that might be a bit up in the air, as a new pair was showing interest, and then the established pair arrived! I'm naturally rooting for Monty and Glesni - but do hope that Dai Dot and Blue24 find a nesting spot - and perhaps a second cam can be added for next season! Smile

Feel free to make a "Reserved" post for additional information, nest history or whatever.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Ferenz (offline) on Saturday, April 12 2014 @ 11:59 AM EDT  
Ferenz

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 pm

The new 360 Observatory is almost ready. This is the view that our Structural Engineer is getting this morning - Mr. Dai Dot.

from fb

Over 500 people were happily watching Blue 24 on the Dyfi Live Streaming on Tuesday morning before she disappeared at around 10:30 heading east. First thing yesterday morning she was on the Rutland Manton Bay nest on the Live Streaming there.

Ten minutes ago, guess who's just turned up on the Dyfi nest?

A 300 mile trip to central England and back in two days. Get me out of here - I'm an osprey!

from fb

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Blue 24 and Dai Dot have been on the nest all day, bonding and mating. He's not brought any dinner in for his new partner yet, but he'll soon figure that one out. They've been together just over 24 hours, early days.

Monty is due back any time - what will happen when Monty/Glensi return?

Is this the end of the Monty dynasty?

from fb

Ferenz, Berlin (Germany)

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Ferenz (offline) on Saturday, April 12 2014 @ 12:13 PM EDT  
Ferenz

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Monty is home: ~10 minutes ago

from fb

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:16 pm

'La Mamma' Glesni is home >

Look who's just landed on top of the camera pole.....

IT'S GLESNI !!!! WEH-HEYYYY...

WELCOME HOME - CROESO'N ÔL

GET YOUR TICKETS.... HERE WE GO.......

from fb

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Monty delivers big fish & waiting for Glesni?

Ferenz, Berlin (Germany)

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Ferenz (offline) on Saturday, April 12 2014 @ 02:37 PM EDT  
Ferenz

April 12, 2014 18:50 PM CEST

Blue24 & Monty

from fb

Ferenz, Berlin (Germany)

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Ferenz (offline) on Sunday, April 13 2014 @ 12:51 PM EDT  
Ferenz

From dead tree perch back to the nest - who: Monty or Blue24

Ferenz, Berlin (Germany)

Forum

Profile     PM

By: newbiE (offline) on Monday, April 14 2014 @ 01:28 AM EDT  

OMG! i was SO happy to see that a thread for DYFI osprey's has been started!

i found them a couple of years ago, and LOVE this nest!

MONTY is the resident male.

from DYFI site: http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/meet-the-ospreys

Monty

The Dyfi male osprey is called Monty, or Maldwyn in Welsh, after Montgomeryshire. After we put the nest platform up in 2007, Monty had made it his own by the following year. In 2008 he was seen bringing nest material to the new nest in an attempt to build it up, and since that time he's had a few other ospreys for company, including another male bird - 'Scraggly', see below.

Monty is quite unusual for a male osprey, he has two very unique features. He has relatively dark chest plumage and quite dark under-wing feathering, features usually associated with females. He also has very dark, orange eyes - usually adult ospreys have yellow eyes.

We're not sure where Monty is from, but there is a strong possibility that he's the offspring from the first osprey pair to successfully breed in Wales (in modern times) near Welshpool in 2004. The single male chick from this nest could not be ringed at the time as the nest was too high, so it would make sense that Monty might from this nest as he is also un-ringed. All the other osprey chicks hatched in England and Wales that we know about have been ringed. The timing also makes sense as he would have come back to roughly the same place as he was raised to prospect for nesting sites as a youngster, probably from 2006/7 onwards. The Dyfi nest is just 28 miles away from the Welshpool nest as the osprey flies - just an hour's flight away.

2 years ago, when i first found this nest, NORA was his mate. sadly NORA did not return in 2013. MONTY had a round robin of female osprey's land on his nest in 2013,
but the pairings did not go well.....until a HUGE female that they ultimately named GLESNI gave MONTY a run for his money, as he tried to chase her off for 3 days! until he finally accepted her in MAY of 2013! they went on to have 2 chicks, both successfully fledged.

THIS year, BLUE 24 came to the nest, and DAI DOT (a male who has been around DYFI for a few years, but has no partner) began bonding until MONTY came home, and immediately gave chase to DAI DOT. MONTY then began to WOO BLUE 24. ....and they had been mating, and bonding....and then, GLESNI returned on the 10th!

GLESNI gave chase to BLUE 24 (they are both cousins!) and it lasted an entire day. everyone was shocked when it was BLUE 24 who returned the next morning!

but remember, GLESNI had just returned from her 3000 mile migration, and then had to chase an 'intruder' who had come to think that SHE had finally found her mate and home!

friday and saturday, it was BLUE 24 and MONTY. bonding, mating and MONTY bringing BLUE fish!

but GLESNI was recuperating from her journey....and regaining her strength.

THIS LINK tells the amazing story so much better: http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/blog/2 ... sni-return

and sure enough.....on SUNDAY........GLESNI comes in for ROUND 2: INTENSE video of her return, to try to reclaim her nest and her MAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t31jeIoQCD4

no one has seen them since! so we wait....will it be BLUE or GLESNI? (GLESNI HAS THE DARKER NECKLACE)
6:30 AM in wales, and neither female has returned, but i THINK i heard MONTY skydancing briefly at 5:30 AM.

dyfi has a GREAT FB page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t31jeIoQCD4

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH, for starting a DYFI thread! OspreyWubVery Happy

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Ferenz (offline) on Tuesday, April 15 2014 @ 09:38 AM EDT  
Ferenz

Bore da

Hope you like the new look Fish Pies! Thanks to Vicky and Alwyn for all of these. They'll be up every Sunday night from now on as usual, with each week's fish data.

After two mammoth attempts at regaining her nest back, Glesni has been unsuccessful. Her cousin Blue 24 is still first lady and is proving difficult to budge. Monty of course, has little say as to whom he gets to share his genes with, that decision is made for him to a large degree.

Quick Tip: There's an easy way to identify Blue 24 quickly without seeing her leg rings - she has an extremely white head, especially above the beak, quite unusual for a female.

Blue 24
https://www.facebook.com/dyfiospreyproject

Ferenz, Berlin (Germany)

Forum

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:29 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate