Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Delta Eagle Nest #169 - 2014 & 2015
 |  Printable Version
By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, April 03 2014 @ 09:48 PM EDT (Read 4946 times)  
gemini

Welcome to the Delta Bald Eagle Nest #169 located in Delta on 104th street not far from Boundary Bay.

This was a new nest in 2010. The nest tree is so close to the hydro lines and BC Hydro tried to have the whole tree removed!! However the owner of the property here loves his eagles and he protested to Hydro and was able to get a compromise by just having the offending branches trimmed that would interfere with the hydro wires.

The female eagle has a leg band on her left leg and the numbers have been obtained. We now know that she is 12 years old. More on her history when David Hancock obtains it.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Saturday, April 19 2014 @ 04:28 AM EDT  
gemini

Posted by: ConfusionCircle- April 21, 2014

I was at the nest on 104 St in Ladner, and I noticed that the nest there has a tenant (lower right corner) in the basement! This cute little Merlin has been there 3 weeks in a row now. Haha...

Looks like there are eggs in this nest too! I talked to the homeowner, and they are more than willing to have Hancock Wildlife Foundation people contact them for anything.

Click on image to download

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, April 21 2014 @ 07:13 PM EDT  
karenbills

That's David Hancock's nest #169 on 104 St. in Delta, Jason, not far from the Boundary Bay dyke. The eagles built it in 2010. Thanks for the update. We haven't been around to survey it lately. Good catch finding the Merlin in your photo.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: ConfusionCircle (offline) on Monday, May 05 2014 @ 07:06 PM EDT  
ConfusionCircle

This is the female (I assume it's the female as the bird is significantly larger than the partner) from Nest #169 shot on Saturday, May 3, 2014. The discoloration on her face is recent...can this just be staining from mud/food or an indication of something more serious? Or can this be a different bird from when I last photographed the pair in February, when no discoloration was evident? I first noticed the discoloration 2 weeks ago. The second image is one I shot in February of the couple on the nest tree, and the discoloration is not visible.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: ConfusionCircle (offline) on Tuesday, May 06 2014 @ 12:15 AM EDT  
ConfusionCircle

Oh, and I forgot to mention that nest #169 has two babies! Smile

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Tuesday, May 06 2014 @ 02:19 AM EDT  
Heather

Hello There,
Awesome pictures as always Confusion Circle! I love the one of the adult and baby! That is certainly precious! I'll have to check this nest out one day soon!
Cheers

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Tuesday, May 06 2014 @ 08:13 PM EDT  
karenbills

Wonderful. Thanks for your report, Jason.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: ConfusionCircle (offline) on Sunday, May 11 2014 @ 12:46 AM EDT  
ConfusionCircle

Spent about an hour at nest #169 today after I went to Reifel. The babies have grown a bit, and Pa was doing his best to shield them from the sun.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:33 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate