Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Update to our Cam Pages
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 16 2014 @ 01:41 PM EDT (Read 33547 times)  
JudyB

Hi everyone!

As you may know, the Adobe Flash Player we've been using to view the streams from our cams works well with most desktop computers and laptops - but isn't compatible with tablets or smart phones without additional software - and even then not everything works.

Update March 23, 2014 - I thought the new way of viewing the cams did not involve Flash; I was wrong about that. I suspect it uses a different type of flash player - but it's not as different as I thought. I have asked Peter for some additional information about the advantages of the new player, and will add those once I hear from him. ~JudyB

As more people are moving from conventional computers to mobile devices, WildEarth has been hard at work developing a way to stream cams that will work more universally - and they've now given us the codes to make our cam pages more like their Beta site. I've made some test pages - please try them out if you have a chance, and feel free to share these with others - we'd like a good test before hopefully going live in the next couple of days. Try any computer or browser you can find - we need to know if there are problems. These should work on iPads and iPhones, and should work with desktop PCs and Macs using Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Safari; they don't yet work on Android smart phones and tablets, but we're hoping that will be coming soon.

If something doesn't work for you, please let us know what type of computer you're using (standard desktop/laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc), which operating system (Windows, Mac, etc), which version (Win7, Mac OS10, etc), which browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc), and which version of the browser. Or as much of that as you have easily available. Thanks!

If you use Firefox and see a message about plugin not found, you must turn off Ad-Block Plus, which is under the Tools menu. You can either turn it off for that specific cam page, or for hancockwildlife.org in general, which will remove it from all the cam pages at once for that computer. I'm not sure what ad-blocking software other browsers have these days - but do know that while the ads are a bit of a pain - it's the advertisers who provide the funding that allows WildEarth to stream the cams, and without the ad revenue, we would have no cams. And if you think about it, it's not surprising that the companies paying for all of this want to know that people are learning about their products. I'll also note that I've watched other cams that have big noisy ads that pop up every so many minutes - and I'm very grateful that WildEarth is going with one full-screen ad when you first log in to a cam, and small silent ads at the bottom of the screen thereafter, so we never miss an important moment because an ad blocked the whole screen.

Update March 19, 2014 -

I've made some corrections to the pages, and the White Rock links now go to the proper cams:

White Rock - WA - staticpages/index.php/zNewCamTest_WR_WA

White Rock - CU - staticpages/index.php/zNewCamTest_WR_CU

Lafarge Side View - staticpages/index.php/zNewCamTest_Laf_Side

Delta West/Overhead - staticpages/index.php/zNewCamTest_Delta_W

Harrison Mills South - staticpages/index.php/zNewCamTest_HM_S

Harrison Mills North - staticpages/index.php/zNewCamTest_HM_N

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: cococat9 (offline) on Sunday, March 16 2014 @ 02:07 PM EDT  
cococat9

Hi Judy,

Not able to open any of the cams. I have a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8

Hope this won't prevent me from getting the cams.

Forum

Washington

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, March 16 2014 @ 02:19 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Hi Judy and Carole.I am also wondering if the new links will replace our current cams......

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 16 2014 @ 02:41 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Carole and Bev!

I believe the plan is to replace our current cam links with these new ones - but only when they are working for everyone. I was hoping that would be today, but we're having more issues than I anticipated.

I will bring this thread to Peter's attention so will know what we're having for issues, and will hopefully be able to either offer suggestions, or tweak some things at his end.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, March 16 2014 @ 03:48 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Quote by: JudyB

Thanks, Carole and Bev!

I believe the plan is to replace our current cam links with these new ones - but only when they are working for everyone. I was hoping that would be today, but we're having more issues than I anticipated.

I will bring this thread to Peter's attention so will know what we're having for issues, and will hopefully be able to either offer suggestions, or tweak some things at his end.

Thank you Judy..

This is part of your post Judy.......

If you use Firefox and see a message about plugin not found, you must turn off Ad-Block Plus, which is under the Tools menu. You can either turn it off for that specific cam page, or for hancockwildlife.org in general, which will remove it from all the cam pages at once for that computer. I'm not sure what ad-blocking software other browsers have these days

and as you know i have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 and i also use FF browser because it is AD Free ... and i am getting" plugin not found "and i did everything you suggested..

Now i must go.........BBL

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 16 2014 @ 04:01 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Bev. I have a PC, so things may look a little different. This is what I needed to do to disable AdBlock so the videos would play:

Click on image to download

I could also have chosen "Disable on this page only" - but I do need to disable it to see the videos.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 16 2014 @ 04:30 PM EDT  
JudyB

I have a Windows 7 computer, and am having no problems using Firefox, once I disabled AdBlock Plus.

When I use Chrome, it appears that I can't adjust the volume. I can turn it on or off, but if I try to move the cursor up to the slider to reduce it part way, the slider disappears as soon as my mouse is no longer over the the little speaker icon at the bottom. The picture is what I see when my cursor is on the speaker icon.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 16 2014 @ 04:45 PM EDT  
JudyB

With the same Windows 7 computer, using Internet Explorer 10, if I have Compatibility View turned on, I just see a white square where the cam window should be.

When I uncheck Compatibility View, I can see the cam, and have no trouble adjusting the volume by moving the slider up and down - but it doesn't seem to show the date and time the way it does in other browsers - no matter where I put my cursor, I didn't see the large date-time and the number of viewers, which show up with both Firefox and Chrome.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:10 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate