Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Eagle Cams
 Lake of the Ozarks - 2014-2016 - Missouri
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, January 26 2014 @ 05:48 PM EST (Read 10221 times)  
JudyB

Coverage for the 2016 season begins here-- forum/viewtopic.php?topic=844072#844072
--------------------------------------------

Scroll down for 2015 Nesting Season

Link to the cam - http://www.lotoeagles.com/ -- (NO CAM AT THIS TIME)

More information on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lotoeagles?ref=hl

2014 Nesting Season:

• eggs laid: first egg February 13; the eagles moved back to their old nest (without an overhead cam) so we won't know how many eggs there are until they hatch
  • sad news: There may have been a hatch on March 26, but if there was a chick, it wasn't seen afterwards, and it's possible that what was seen moving was nest material and not a chick; the adults are still incubating as of April 6, but it's well past any likely window for a hatch

As we only have a few posts from 2014, I'm combining them with what I hope will be a happier and more productive season in 2015.

2015 Nesting Season:

• eggs laid:

This cam, showing "Elsie & Einstein," the Lake of the Ozarks Eagles is located in Central Missouri. The pair built their first nest in that location in fall 2009 and hatched 2 eaglets in 2010, of which only one survived into the early summer. In 2011 they built another nest nearby, fortunately also within cam reach, and again hatched two eaglets, only one of which survived to fledge (we think the other fell from the nest during a very windy storm). The pair laid three eggs in 2012 - and all hatched and fledged! The nest was almost non-existent by the the time the chicks fledged, and was in a dead tree, so the cam owner built a large platform in the tree with the cam, and the eagles nested there in 2013; they laid two eggs, and eaglets Ozark and Star fledged successfully. At least one egg was laid in 2014; sadly it either didn't hatch or died shortly after hatching as there were no confirmed views of a chick.

Ozark and Star, April 12, 2013, captured by mia, copyright Jim Ray, used with permission

Link to the 2013 nesting season - forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=415968

PICTURES AND VIDEOS ARE COPYRIGHT TO JIM RAY AND POSTED AT HWF WITH HIS WRITTEN PERMISSION.

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (150KB), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them). To avoid horizontal scrolling, please do not post pictures that are more than 500 pixels wide - though it's fine to post a 500-pixel-wide thumbnail that clicks to a much larger picture. The forum attachment software conveniently handles that task - so you can attach larger pictures, and a properly-sized clickable image will appear in your post. The preferred format for pictures is JPEG (.jpg), and three 500-pixel-wide JPEGs should be under the 150KB limit.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: mia (offline) on Thursday, February 13 2014 @ 10:10 PM EST  
mia

Lake of the Ozarks Eagles on Facebook:
"Elsie layed her 1st egg late this afternoon between 4 and 5 ish,,, trying to get a decent picture,,, unfortunately she chose the old nest tree,,,, "We still love her and E-man" best wishes for the happy couple!"

Forum

Helsinki, Finland

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Friday, February 14 2014 @ 07:13 PM EST  
golden1

Elsie and Einstein have been hassled by a sub adult all afternoon. Last fly by by the sub-adult was at 6:10 cst

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Saturday, February 15 2014 @ 02:57 PM EST  
golden1

February 15, 2014

These poor eagles. This sub-adult (looks to be maybe a 3yr old) is keeping them rather agitated.

8:15 cst (I can't remember if this nest is est or cst). Dad is off and mom begins incubation duty.

Then until 11:37, the eagles are off and on defending their nest, incubating or dad is bringing and arranging huge sticks.

11:37 to 12:00 It is quieter now and they are incubating without the fly bys by the intruder.

Here are some pics of them in defense mode.

Click on image to download

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Saturday, February 15 2014 @ 02:59 PM EST  
golden1

Proud Einstein moving sticks.

10:03

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, March 27 2014 @ 05:02 AM EDT  
MaryF

From eagleholic/Twizzkid today ~~~

Hatch at the Lake of the Ozarks nest!

March 26, 2014 ó Chatters are noting this afternoon that they were able to see a chick moving in the nest, confirming at least one hatch so far! Yoohoo!!! Parent eagles, Elsie and Einstein chose to use a different nest this year, so it is difficult to see into the nest. My understanding is that this will be the final year on cam for this pair as the cam provider (Thumper) needs to put his resources into other things. It has been wonderful of Thumper to share Elsie and Einstein and their offspring with us over the years! A huge undertaking Iím sure as a private eagle cam operator! Link to cam: http://www.lotoeagles.com/

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 06 2014 @ 12:54 PM EDT  
JudyB

April 6, 2014

I think we have sad news here. There was something moving in the nest in the videomark from March 26 posted on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/lotoeagles?ref=hl), but it's not clear if it was a chick or nest material being moved by the adult as she ate a large fish. As far as I can tell, there were no additional sightings to confirm that an egg had hatched.

It's now Day 52 for the first egg, and even if they had a third egg a week after the first (as sometimes happens), it would be Day 45 for that egg; the adults are still incubating, but it seems very unlikely that there will be a chick.

(image copyright Jim Ray, posted with permission)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Twizzkid (offline) on Sunday, April 06 2014 @ 01:28 PM EDT  
Twizzkid

Oh dear. Thanks JudyB, that helps explain why as I checked in at the site the note at the top of the screen announcing the hatch was gone. I didn't dig a lot further (but probably should have). Maybe at some level I just didn't want to know. sigh. But glad to have more of the story from you. Twizz

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:28 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate