Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Decorah, Iowa - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, April 05 2010 @ 11:47 AM EDT  
JudyB

The chick is being fed. This is a great cam - and is more popular than it has bandwidth to support so tends to freeze and buffer. I'm not seeing any movement in the eggs - but am not sure I would, given the nature of the cam. There is sound, but there's no way to tell if there's any peeps coming from an egg given the peeping of the little chick. love
Click on image to download

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, April 05 2010 @ 05:29 PM EDT  
JudyB

There are two. love love
Click on image to download Click on image to download

Not too easy to see - the older is sitting up for a feeding in the first pic, and the newer is in a little heap behind. In the second pic, the little one has moved a little so you can make out its head. It doesn't help that the nest also contains the third egg, both parts of #2's shell - and a bunch of feathers from #1's lunch. Smile

This is the first time I've seen #2, though one of the eggs looked as if it could be separating in the pic in my previous post. I'll check the BirdCam Forum to see if they have a time of hatch.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 12:28 AM EDT  
MaryF

Smile It's especially wonderful to come here tonight and see another new little life! Aren't all these fuzzy little gray peepers just great to see? Wub Thank you JudyB for being on the ball with this nest!!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 09:06 AM EDT  
JudyB

It's a nice nest to watch - view of the countryside, and even has sound so I can listen to the breeze and the little chirpy sounds (and dive for the mute button when Mom decides to make an announcement!).

It looks like a rainy sort of day, but I have had a quick glimpse at both chicks - a bit of rivalry going on, but I don't expect it to be serious; this was a pretty mellow nest last year.

11:30 am
Feeding going on. love
The older one has pecked the little one a couple of times, but both are now focusing on the adult, and the older one is waiting almost patiently while the tiny one is being offered some bites.
Click on image to download

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 03:55 PM EDT  
MaryF

JudyB...I'm not good with dates...has it passed the time for the third egg to hatch? I love the feeding pic. It does seem like one of these chicks os much bigger than the other one.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 05:11 PM EDT  
JudyB

For better or worse, it's several days before the third egg is likely to hatch - it almost seemed like an after-thought, arriving five days after the second egg (three days is normal). The first egg hatched Saturday, April 3 (37 days after it was laid), and the second hatched Monday, April 5 (36 days after it was laid). Today is day 32 for the third egg - and I think the earliest I've ever heard of an egg hatching is day 34, and day 35 is more common - so it should hatch Thursday or Friday.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: iowamom987 () on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 10:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous: iowamom987

Yes, it was a pretty rainy day here in Decorah - even a couple of brief thundershowers. (Thankfully, we missed the hail and it hit 70 miles south of us instead -- golf ball size in some places!)

The country around the nest is beautiful because we have lots of limestone bluffs in the area. It was great fun to walk down near the nest late last summer after the new eagles had learned to fly. They would perch in the pine trees and call to one another or soar over the fields and streams looking for food.

We're thrilled that the nest cam is available and that so many people have taken such an interest in it. We're enjoying it right along with everyone else.

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 10:49 PM EDT  
JudyB

Welcome to the forum, iowamom987! Welcome It's always great to have people from the area posting - we can see a bit of the countryside on the cam, but there's so much we miss. (And speaking of missing - I'm glad they didn't have to deal with a hailstorm!)

Here are a few pictures from today - because much of the day was rainy, the little ones were usually "inside" when I looked. Smile

click for slideshow - 12 pictures

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:13 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate