Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Southern Vancouver Island Area Eagle Nests
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, December 02 2013 @ 11:04 PM EST (Read 2732 times)  
sassyk

This thread is a place to post observations and photos of eagle nests in the Southern Vancouver Island area that do not have their own dedicated thread set up. Anyone observing a nest and its resident eagles is welcome to post their observations and photos on this thread.

I observed this nest in the West Saanich Road area for the first time this morning. One of the eagles flew into a nearby tree just after we got out of the car. It is believed the eagle pair did not produce any young the past 2 seasons. I will continue to visit this nest for the next few months and will set up a new dedicated thread if I observe the eagles incubating eggs.

Click on image to download

ADDED Aug. 28th: There were no eaglets observed in this nest this season.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, January 18 2014 @ 08:04 PM EST  
sassyk

I observed this nest yesterday for the first time. It is north of Goldsteam Park on Vancouver Island and has been there for quite a few years, although the eagles did not produce any young last season. As my friend was pointing out the 2 main perch trees, one of the eagles flew in and landed in the closest one to the nest. I will visit this nest during the next few months and hopefully there will be eaglets to watch fingers crossed

There is another nest in the general vicinity and the eagle pair perch in the trees on a small island nearby. One was perched at the top of the tallest tree. My friend hasn't found the nest yet which is on private property, but is in contact with someone who will provide the location.

ADDED Aug. 28th: There were no eaglets observed in this nest this season.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Friday, January 31 2014 @ 07:39 PM EST  
gemini

Afternoon Friends wave

Our HWF Adopt a Nest 2014 Fundraiser & Challenge is now underway and we need your help.

Last year was the first year for our Adopt a Nest fundraiser and our members adopted a total of 20 HWF nests, which was a fantastic first effort!

Our goal is to break this "first record" and with your support we can do it.

For More Information just click on the Meet The Families Collage and it will take you to the page that outlines the Adopt a Nest donation program or simply pick your favorite

HWF Nest & Family then call 1-800-938-1114 (weekdays only) with your payment option and specify the nest you are adopting.

HWF accepts single or reoccurring contributions in any amount for those members that prefer this option. So many ways you can help.

Become a HWF Supporter and together ... branch by branch ... we will make a difference and keep the HWF cams streaming

Meet the HWF Families Wub

Now Lets Make this Fundraiser the Best Ever ~ Adopt Your Favorite Nest Today

Thanks in advance for your continued support Thank You

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, February 05 2014 @ 01:57 PM EST  
sassyk

I've been watching a pair of eagles on private property near a local golf course the past 2 years but haven't seen their nest yet. I talked to a neighbor the other day who told me their nest is in the tree I usually see them perched in but he hasn't actually seen the nest either Chin I didn't see the eagles when I was there the other day but I took a few pics of the tree. When I zoomed in on one of the pics it looks like there is an eagle perched at the bottom left corner. There were a lot of very shaded dark areas in the pic so it's hard to see what looks like an eagle. I'll be visiting the area again soon.

This pic has been cropped a lot!

ADDED Aug. 28th: Neighbours have not seen the eagles in the area this season.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Debs (offline) on Tuesday, June 24 2014 @ 11:00 PM EDT  
Debs

Evening Folks wave

It is fundraising time here again at Hancock Wildlife Foundation (HWF) and we need your help.
So this is a friendly reminder ... if you are planning on making a donation or adopting one of the
HWF bald eagle families and nest please do so soon and preferably this week.

There are two ways you can help: you may make a Single Donation or you may prefer to
Adopt your Favorite HWF Bald Eagle Family & Nest ... two wonderful ways to help keep the web cams
streaming and to show your support.

To make a single donation simply call 1-800-938-1114 (weekdays only) then specify the amount of your donation
along with your payment option ... it is simply that easy or

If you prefer to Adopt a HWF Bald Eagle Family & Nest simply call call 1-800-938-1114 (weekdays only) and
specify the nest you are are adopting along with your payment option it is simply that easy.

All the HWF Bald Eagle Families are available for Adoption; Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Lafarge & White Rock each family is precious Wub

Last year was the first year for the HWF Adopt a Nest fundraiser and supporters adopted a total of 20 HWF Nests, which was a fantastic first effort Thank You

This year 11 HWF Nests have been adopted so far:

Delta 2 - 4
Harrison Mills - 4
Lafarge - 2
White Rock - 1

Our goal is to break last year's record so please help us get there Clapping

For More Information on the HWF Adopt a Nest donation program just click on the Meet The HWF Bald Eagle Families Collage and it will take you
to the informational page that outlines the Adopt a Nest donation program

Meet our precious HWF Bald Eagle Families; Delta2, Harrison Mills, Lafarge and White Rock Wub

Two wonderful ways you can help; every donation brings us closer to our goals so please support us if you can and together branch by branch
we will remain connected to these precious bald eagle families Wub

On behalf of David Hancock and the entire HWF family thank you for your generous donation and continued support its greatly appreciated Thank You hug

May you embrace all the "blessings and gifts" that surround you in your life ... let your spirit soar :-)

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, July 02 2014 @ 05:30 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Announcement

Afternoon Friends wave

This is just a friendly reminder to let you know our Fundraiser Drive is still underway so if you have not made your donation yet please do so asap.

As most of you know Hancock Wildlife Foundation (HWF) is a Not for Profit organization so donations are needed to keep this forum and web cams going so please donate if you can. To those of you that have already donated thank you so much for kick starting this Fundraiser you are the best!

There are two easy ways to donate:

You can donate Online simply click on the link below

Click HERE to donate

OR

You may call the HWF Office at 1-800-938-1114 week days only and Lorraine will be happy to help you.

Another fun way you can help is to Adopt a HWF Bald Eagle Family for the calendar year and you can do this Online just specify the nest you are Adopting or you may call the HWF Office if you prefer.

For more information on the Adopt a Nest Donation Program simply click on David Hancock's picture below:

Many of you already know about David Hancock's impressive career as a Biologist (60 years) and as a Leader and founding member of bald eagle web cams (2006) but did you know that David was a Wildlife Rehabilitator too? David has rescued and saved many bald eagles both in and out off the nest; never shying away from obtaining the necessary permissions to rescue a chick in the nest...David Hancock is the real deal; a true advocate and friend to these birds. Thank you David Hancock and HWF for all that you have done and continue to do to keep us connected to these wonderful bald eagle families...you are the best Clapping

David's vision and forward thinking also brought about this forum providing helpful resources on a wide range of topics and a "gathering place" for friends and we are forever grateful...so please donate if you can and together "branch by branch" we will protect all the wonderful things that this forum provides hug

On behalf of David Hancock and the entire family at HWF thank you so much for your generous donation and continued support its greatly appreciated Thank You

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, July 11 2014 @ 10:32 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Announcement

Afternoon Friends wave

Fundraiser Update

Wonderful news to share....donations are slowly coming in...thanks to everyone that has donated so far...your generous gift is greatly appreciated. hug

We are excited about the progress made although we still have a way to go ... to reach our 2014/15 HWF Project goals which include our web cams and everything that this forum or "gathering place for friends" provides, so please help if you can.

To Donate from the comfort of your own home...simply click on the Fundraiser Thermometer below and it will take you directly to our Donate Page. It's just that easy!

The above link also includes a link to the Adopt a Nest donation program too!

OR if you prefer

You may call the HWF Office at 1-800-938-1114 week days only and Lorraine will be happy to help you.

So please donate if you can and together "branch by branch" we will reach our goal. Clapping

On behalf of David Hancock and the entire team at HWF thank you for your generous gift and continued support. Thank You! Your gift will greatly support our mission to promote the conservation of wildlife and its habitats through science, education and stewardship! Thanks again! hug

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, July 22 2014 @ 07:58 PM EDT  
sassyk

This nest is on private property at Witty's Lagoon in Metchosin, therefore, the exact location will not be divulged. This nest is believed to be a relatively new one according to neighbours, and there are 2 other nests in the general vicinity that have not been active for the past few years. I will be watching this nest in the future and if there is evidence of nest building activity next spring I will open a dedicated thread for this nest.

Yesterday the lone eaglet was sitting up in the nest and calling for food. It eventually went for a short flight around the nest area then returned to the nest and squawked for a parent to bring some food.

ETA: I've just heard from a friend who went to Witty's Lagoon yesterday and saw one eaglet perched on a tree and thought she heard another one in the nest. She kept on watching and sure enough an eaglet poked its head over the edge of the nest. After hearing this I zoomed in on my pictures and I can see a dark round spot in the nest on the right side of the 2 small branches that are sticking up in front of the nest Left thumb up

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:27 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate