Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Carolina Raptor Center, NC - 2014 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: IrishEyes (offline) on Saturday, January 18 2014 @ 05:44 PM EST  
IrishEyes

SAT. Jan. 18, 2014...

Hello Derek and Savannah and all who love this nest..

Sorry..........i am late posting these

5:01pm
Derek and Savannah in the nest.... Savannah is working in the nest bowl.. i am going by size
Click on image to download
5:03pm

Savannah is thrilling.... ..like she sees something and moves over to edge of nest

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Saturday, January 18 2014 @ 05:47 PM EST  
IrishEyes

5:04pm
Savannah moved up to rail and Derek is working in the nest
5:09pm

Derek joins Savannah on the railing

ADDED
7pm
It is dark now....

Good Night Derek, Savannah and all who love this nest............hug

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, January 19 2014 @ 07:43 AM EST  
IrishEyes

SUNDAY...JAN.19, 2014.

Good Morning all..
7:42am
The lovees are hanging out togetherlove their new home is awesome.........

10:54am
Derek and Savannah .. keeping watch.. Red Heart

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, January 19 2014 @ 11:25 AM EST  
JudyB

Thanks for your reports and pictures, Bev - lovely to see them both doing well. I noticed that they were moving big sticks around yesterday - the staff helps them get a start on their nest, but master-builder Derek always needs to improve on what they provide, under the watchful eye of Savannah, of course. love

I see we have a different view today, featuring the upper perch. They do look regal sitting up there.

One up high, the other down below. I'm not sure if both can get up to the top perch, and don't remember which is the better flyer, though I think both have wing injuries.

This picture is from yesterday, at about 4:15 pm; I saw on their facebook page that staff check the habitat and remove uneaten food from time to time so it doesn't attract predators. Not sure if that's what this person was doing, but he was on camera for a minute or two.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, January 19 2014 @ 02:17 PM EST  
IrishEyes

You are welcome JudyB and thank you... we should see an egg here soon... going by your records JudyB...

2:16pm
Handsome Derek .. what a nice area for Derek and Savannah..their own little paradise.....Wub

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, January 19 2014 @ 02:30 PM EST  
IrishEyes

I am bringing forward this for our information from 2010... by Cal 04

A few hours ago I tried posting info about Carolina Raptor Center, Huntersville, NC - Bald Eagles, Derek and Savannah but my post kept getting deleted as "spam detected". Maybe I should wait until after setup to post anything else. Let's see what happens this time.

ETA: "Carolina Raptor Center is located inside Latta Plantation Nature Preserve just 20 minutes north of Charlotte. Latta Plantation Nature Preserve is Mecklenburg County's largest nature preserve and protects over 1,290 acres." Latta Plantation Nature Preserve

ETA: Derek, per CRC: "Derek a male bald eagle, came to Carolina Raptor Center in August of 1998 from the South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey (now known as the International Center for Birds of Prey) in Charleston, SC. He was at least seven years old when he arrived. He had been found in December of 1995 with a gun shot injury that resulted in a broken left leg and a broken right wing. Although rehabilitators were able to treat his wing and his leg, Derek is not able to fly well enough to survive on his own in the wild. He lives on display at Carolina Raptor Center, where he acts as an ambassador for the 38,000 visitors that visit each year. For the past several years, he has bonded with Savannah, one of the bald eagles that shares his display aviary. Their offspring, Len and Lola, were hatched in March of 2006, and have been released to the wild. You can track their progress on our website. ...."

"Derek is named after a very special boy that visited Carolina Raptor Center on many occasions. Derek Hageman loved raptors and could name almost every raptor. He pointed them out to his parents and would tell his classmates stories about the birds. When Derek passed away at the age of nine, Carolina Raptor Center became a place of remembrance for his family. His mother volunteered at CRC as she was learning to deal with her loss. At a memorial service at Derek's school, Carolina Raptor Center released a rehabilitated hawk as symbolic of Derek's spirit beginning a new journey. Derek was a special boy and it was a wonderful tribute to name one of our resident eagles after him."

ETA:Savannah, per CRC: "Savannah came to CRC in 1998 from the South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey in Charleston, South Carolina. She was found in the wild with a fractured left wing, and although we are not sure exactly what caused her injury, it is most likely the result of a collision, whether with a vehicle or power line or something else we’ll never know. She has adjusted to life at CRC quite well, and has found a mate here. Savannah and Derek have raised two eaglets in our aviary, and we were able to successfully release those eaglets to the wild.
You can check on the progress of the eaglets, Len and Lola, ...."

Link to above post

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=3927#3927

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, January 19 2014 @ 06:27 PM EST  
IrishEyes

6:21pm.6L22pm
I think it is Derek walking on the grounds and Savannah is perched watching him

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, January 19 2014 @ 06:31 PM EST  
IrishEyes

6:30am
They are both in the nest.... hard to see ..looks like they are working in the nest bowl
6:31pm

6:32pm Savannah flew up on perch

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:18 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate