Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Carolina Raptor Center, NC - 2014 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Saturday, December 14 2013 @ 02:42 AM EST  
MaryF

Weyerhaeuser Donation Supports Birds at Carolina Raptor Center ~~

It’s a big bird.

Not the yellow, fluffy “Sesame Street” variety but rather a wild bald eagle with needle-sharp talons, razor-sharp eyes, and a hooked beak for tearing flesh. Its enclosure is the newest flight cage at Carolina Raptor Center, a research and rehabilitation facility in Huntersville, N.C., just north of Charlotte.

At 22 feet wide by 110 feet long and about 25 feet high, the flight cage is an essential last step in an injured raptor’s rehabilitation, giving the bird the opportunity to exercise its wing muscles and practice mousing before returning to the wild.

Click on image to download -- CRC's new flight cage--photo property of and courtesy of Weyerhaeuser

Read more here -- http://3blmedia.com/News/CSR/Weyerhaeus ... tor-Center

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, December 31 2013 @ 02:11 AM EST  
MaryF

From "Savannah Eagle" today ~~~

Today was moving day for us! Back into the renovated eagle aviary.
Looking good! We all got a health check and moved back to our nesting spots. Now the nesting season can begin
---------------

An absolutely great video of the volunteers moving the eagles back into their new enclosure -- lots of wonderful pictures of Derek (handsome, smallish fellow) and Savannah (big pretty girl!) Wub Also included are Raleigh and Dante.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If1sQhgvm_I

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, December 31 2013 @ 11:41 AM EST  
JudyB

Thank you, Mary, for all the updates!

11:36 am
The nest is looking pretty good - and I can see an eagle on the perch at the left side of the screen - first time I've seen someone at home!

Click on image to download

I think their territory may be somewhat smaller (though maybe not - hard to tell from the pictures I've seen) - but the tradeoff seems well worth it if it will keep them all safe.

Oh - just missed Derek in the nest - he was only there for a second - that's his tail in the upper left.

They had their first egg January 1 last year - which was earlier than usual - but does mean it could happen any day now. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, December 31 2013 @ 02:19 PM EST  
JudyB

2:11 pm
Derek and Savannah are doing a lot of running around, and flying from perch to perch. I'm wondering if they're re-acquainting themselves with their area (which has changed while they were on vacation in another habitat) - or telling the other eagles that this part of the habitat is theirs and theirs alone - or what is going on. Whatever it is, it's fun to watch, after not seeing them for a while! Smile

And I just noticed a big piece of what looks like black plastic tubing appear in the upper left corner - Derek's a clever fellow - but I don't think he's moving that around! Titter He also doesn't usually wear jeans.... I'm having a hard time getting a picture because the person (or people) are only in the frame for a second. Ah-ha - notice the feet on the back perch?

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, December 31 2013 @ 03:27 PM EST  
JudyB

3:25 pm
It does indeed look as if they are adding some padding to the support structures for the new protective fencing.

And it looks as if Derek (or maybe Savannah) is taking this in stride.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, January 03 2014 @ 03:37 PM EST  
MaryF

From the CRC newsletter ~~

Jan. 1 - Eagle Aviary is closed for Nesting Season --

Click on image to download -- Savannah and the 2013 chick

January is Eagle Nesting month at Carolina Raptor Center. We've just undergone a significant renovation to our eagle aviary, and the nesting pair eagles need some time to get used to the new environment. We appreciate your enthusiasm and patience this 2014 Eaglet Nesting season. Savannah and Derek will soon be busy incubating the eggs this 2014 eaglet season

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, January 03 2014 @ 04:03 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks, Mary! I haven't seen them do any work on the nest yet - it seems more as if they're getting used to the changes, running around and flapping up and down from perch to perch - and spending time sitting side by side. love There's been quite a range of dates for the first egg - and my guess is that this year it's more likely to be near the end of the month than the beginning. Smile

They have changed the angle of the camera a bit from the last pictures I took - zoomed in a little closer, which will help us see eggs when they finally appear.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, January 04 2014 @ 06:11 PM EST  
JudyB

Saturday, January 4, 2014

A few pictures from today -

Both sharing one of the perches, at 1:22 pm

Doing some work on the nest, 2:38 pm

They also did some beaking, but I missed a shot of that.

There's one perched at the very top of the screen - you can see a tiny bit of white from the tail hanging over the end of the bar where they were perched together earlier - and can see a shadow in the nest, 6:05 pm

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:54 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate