Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Eagle Cams
 Jordan Lake, NC - 2014-2016 - Bald Eagle Nest
 |  Printable Version
By: eaglet999 (offline) on Tuesday, October 08 2013 @ 10:17 AM EDT (Read 28560 times)  
eaglet999

Announcement Jordan Lake for 2014/2015 will have a general wildlife cam set up for the area this season as the eagles are building a new nest without cam access. We would love to have your observations and screen captures on this thread. (MaryF)

This is the link for the beginning of the 2015 season on this thread --

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=710624#710624

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - January 1, 2016 - so far it looks as if they will have the general wildlife cam again this year.

This is the link for the beginning of the 2016 season on this thread --

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=839894#839894

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jordan Lake, North Carolina Bald Eagle Nest.

Link to streaming the cam --

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jordan-lake-eaglecam -- 24/7 cam with IR

Link to weather: http://www.wral.com/weather/

There's also an active Facebook page - Jordan Lake EagleCam - where you can get background information about what's happening at the nest - and share your s'caps with that community.

This nest is located in central North Carolina, near the urban areas of Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill. It's northeast of Charlotte, where the Carolina Raptor Center is located, and looks to be about half-way between Charlotte and Norfolk, Virginia. The Jordan Lake EagleCam is a collaboration between North Carolina State University and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Wilmington District. The goal of the project is to "stimulate interest in Bald Eagles by letting people in the triangle know that these magnificent birds are now nesting right in their backyards." The nest is situated in an area that provides many large trees suitable for nesting bald eagles with close proximity to lakes and rivers that provide a good food source!

This pair have successfully fledged young in the past five years.

2013-2014 Season

[*]cam on: ~~ December 15, 2013

[*]eggs laid: ~~ 1st egg-- 2/28/14 about 7PM --- 2nd egg-- 3/4/14 about 7PM

[*]hatched: ~~ 1st hatch-- 4/7/14 early afternoon --- 2nd hatch-- 4/9/14 early evening

**** On Thursday, May 15th, there was a terrible rainstorm (6 to7 inches of driving rain)--the entire front end of the nest failed causing both 5 week old eaglets to slide down the nest and fall to the ground. The smaller, perhaps male eaglet, did not survive the fall. The larger, maybe female eaglet, survived with dehydration, emaciation, and a broken leg bone (the tarsometatarsus bone--sort of like the ankle). She is in great hands right now at the CRC--more updates later.

****The Jordan Lake eaglet was euthanized at the CRC.

[*]last seen: ~~ see above

[*] cam turned off for the season--May 26th
-------------------------------------------------------

2012-2013 Season Recap:

• eggs laid: Cam was down, but on the Jordan Lake Facebook page this was posted on December 13, 2012:
    Jordan Lake EagleCam
    December 13, 2012
    Dec 13, 2012 4:40pm
    Looks like we have eggs, i just captured this short video on my way home from work today, I'll try to record a longer clip tomorrow. They could have been laid anytime after December 5th.

• cam on: January 15, 2013
  • hatched: First egg thought to be January 17, 2013 at 10:52 pm by a poster on Facebook.
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpQ3TyoKa3g
    Second egg: not viable.
  • first seen out of the nest bowl:
  • branching: March 30, 2013
  • fledged: April 6, 2013

New little one. 1/18/2013 s'cap by JudyB
    Click on image to download

Family time. 3/9/2013 s'cap by mia

Junior comes back for a visit and mom tries to preen him. 4/10/2013 s'cap by mia

---------------------------------------------------------------

Photographer Denise Worden's Jordan Lake Eagle Cam Family album:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 926&type=1

Link to 2012-2013 Thread:
    forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=418725

Forum

Profile     PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Sunday, December 15 2013 @ 02:44 PM EST  
golden1

The cam is streaming on ustream as of today, I believe. We have sunshine glare and perhaps some tweaking to do.

No eagles and no eggs yet. I 'm sure that given a bit of time this cam is going to have a clear view. Whoo hoo! Can't wait to see them.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, December 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM EST  
JudyB

Wonderful news - thanks, Donna! I checked earlier today and it was still showing the picture from last year. I'm glad they were able to get the cam online before there were eggs - and based on previous years, there could be eggs any day now!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, December 16 2013 @ 11:00 AM EST  
JudyB

Monday, December 16, 2013

I think I should have taken a s'cap before starting my post - the cam just went off air at 10:58 am eastern time. Hopefully it will be back soon. I was hoping the glare was just a late afternoon thing - but it looks as if it may be a bit of an issue in the morning as well. But any cam is better than no cam. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, December 17 2013 @ 08:54 PM EST  
JudyB

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I'm afraid I was away from the computer most of the day - but I do have two pictures to post.

12:47 pm eastern time

8:50 pm eastern time

I hate to ask this - but do we know if they might have an alternate nest? They usually have eggs by now, and I've been watching when I can - and have yet to see a single visit. Sad

On the hopeful sign - the nest actually looks quite like the one at Berry College (Georgia) where the eagles are on a fairly similar schedule - so maybe they are all ready and just staying away until time to lay eggs. Fingers crossed.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, December 18 2013 @ 04:03 PM EST  
JudyB

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Some different views of the nest today - but still no eagles. There was an update on their facebook page: "It appears our Bald Eagle pair has been a little camera shy the past couple of days! Don't worry, they are in the area and have been spotted at the nest within the past week." - so I am keeping my fingers crossed. It does seem that some pairs take a little mini-vacation just before laying the first egg, so maybe they're getting close (I'm sure that's the humanizing way of explaining it - the biological explanation probably involves need for more food or something - but I like the idea of a little romantic getaway. love).

7:22 am eastern time

10:05 am eastern time

3:57 pm eastern time

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, December 31 2013 @ 01:39 PM EST  
JudyB

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

1:35 pm
I actually saw an eagle at the nest! Grin He or she was only there about a minute - but there is someone around!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, January 02 2014 @ 01:37 PM EST  
JudyB

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Another very quick visit - 1:05 pm

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:45 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate