Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Minnesota DNR - 2014 Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, October 04 2013 @ 12:58 AM EDT (Read 50747 times)  
MaryF

Click on image to download

Welcome to year 2 of the Minnesota DNR Bald Eagle Cam ~~

Link to the cam---- http://www.webcams.dnr.state.mn.us/eagle/

Facebook link ~~ https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaNonga ... ifeProgram

DNR group FB page -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/227557260721558/

HWF would like to thank the Minnesota DNR, Floyd Security and Xcel Energy for setting up this new Bald Eagle Cam for our entertainment, enjoyment and education!.

This eagle camera is brought to you by the Minnesota DNR's Nongame Wildlife Program, which helps over 700 species of Minnesota wildlife thrive. We are watching live video of a Twin Cities eagle nest. This pair of eagles has nested in the same area since about 2010, fledging at least one chick in that time.

The camera was installed above the nest in late 2012 with help from an Xcel Energy crew with a boom truck, and Floyd Security. The nest is in an undisclosed Twin Cities (Minneapolis--St. Paul) metro area location

Click on image to download ~~ the nest tree, nest, and cam

http://www.twincities.com/minnesota/ci_ ... ost_viewed ~~ a short article about this cam

Note to viewers: This is live video of wild birds in the natural process of raising their young. Life and death struggles occur all the time in the natural world. DNR staff will monitor this camera and will evaluate incidents as they occur, but we do not plan to, nor do we condone, any interference with this nest or its occupants

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, October 04 2013 @ 12:59 AM EDT  
MaryF

Click on image to download ~~ Both parents

One of the parents appears to be banded on the left leg. It turns out that it is Mom who was injured and spent time at the Raptor enter at the U of Minnesota.

Click on image to download ~~ Last year's three eggs

Cam events from 2012---

*Camera installed----Late 2012

*Eagles first seen----unknown at this time

*Eggs laid----Sometime near the beginning of January(3 eggs) ~~ None of the eggs hatched. The eggs were laid way too early for Minnesota and they didn't appear to have much content when they broke. We all wish them much better luck next season.

Link to the 2013 thread

Important cam events from the 2013-2014 season ~~

*Cam on ~~ Feb. 19, 2014

*Eggs Laid ~~ 1st egg--Feb, 14 ~~ others unknown--the last most likely on Feb 18

*Eggs Hatched ~~ Egg #1-- March 24th, Egg #2 -- March 26th, Egg #3 -- March 30th

*** Beautiful eaglet #1 who was somehow injured, was euthanized on the morning of May 5th at the The Raptor Center at the U of Minnesota after being rescued from the nest..

*Eaglets Fledged ~~ Both #2 and #3 fledged sometime on July 3rd!! #2 went first followed by #3 who was not going to be left behind!! Wish they had waited until tomorrow!!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: SunshineinSoFL (offline) on Friday, February 21 2014 @ 04:24 PM EST  
SunshineinSoFL

Looks like another tough year for them. Sad

There are eggs in the nest.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, February 23 2014 @ 04:16 PM EST  
JudyB

Wow. Any idea if there are 2 or 3, SunshineinSoFL? Someone on another forum found the following article from February 20 that said they'd laid 2 eggs in the last 5 days (so between Feb 15 and Feb 20, I assume) - http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/291962/ But it looks as if there might be 3 eggs in your picture.

I'm watching now, and at least it's sunny - but the adult hasn't shown me the nest bowl yet.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, February 24 2014 @ 02:19 PM EST  
MaryF

Byebye JudyB and sunshine! This is what I know about the cam and eggs ~~

Minnesota DNR eaglecam now online with 2 eggs in the nest! (from Twizzkid)

February 19, 2014
The Minnesota DNR sent out an email today to let us know that they have turned on the cam, and that there are already 2 eggs in the nest. They note that the first egg was laid on Feb 14. So great to see this nest back online! Last year, they laid eggs much earlier than normal, with the sad results of 3 non-viable eggs. This year they waited 6 weeks longer, so hoping that all goes well this time!

--------------------------------------------------------

A video from Pricilla -- Minnesota DNR Eagles--Eagle has a grey & yellow beak hmmm--maybe just the cam? 2/19/14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn6ztKa7 ... ploademail

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, February 24 2014 @ 02:28 PM EST  
MaryF

I also received this from the Minnesota DNR on 2/19 ~~

Hi Eagle Lovers!!

Welcome to the 2014 season of bald eagle nesting @ Minnesota DNR! Minnesota DNR's Nongame eagle camera is now LIVE!!

We are all so excited about the eagle cam this year! We are pretty sure it is the same pair of eagles that is back on the nest and laying eggs. They laid their first egg on Valentine's Day at 3:00 and have laid at least one more since then. Watch them here: EAGLE CAM LIVE.

Only two eggs are easily seen, but we have suspicion that there might be three eggs there. Whether there are two or three, we are very happy that: 1) they waited a little longer to begin laying eggs and 2) The nest is much deeper than it was last year. Remember how flat the nest looked last year? When the birds were off of the nest, the eggs looked so exposed to the elements! This year, the parents brought in much more nesting material that is soft and insular. The nest is deep and they are taking care to keep the eggs very warm. Hopefully, they learned from last year and won't let the eggs freeze.

We have different camera equipment operations and live feed this year, in order to bring a more stable, constant image to view. The camera itself has not changed, so there will still not be sound or infra-red for night-time viewing, but day time viewing should be very good!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, February 24 2014 @ 02:33 PM EST  
MaryF

Such a beautiful sight in the afternoon sun!!

Head tucked---a little snooze

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, February 24 2014 @ 02:39 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks so much for the additional information, Mary! I signed up for the newsletter last night (was working on my spreadsheet, so came here looking for info), and I've been watching today, but even though it's sunny, they haven't provided much of a peek into the nest bowl, even when there was a changing of the guard. They do seem to have a snug little spot for their eggs - and I sure hope they don't get any more snow!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:36 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate