Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Oak Bay Eagles - 2013/2014 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, September 15 2013 @ 09:56 PM EDT (Read 7108 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Oak Bay Eagles thread for the 2013/2014 season. There are 3 nests in the Municipality of Oak Bay that have been monitored by the locals for many years. During past years, the eagles have produced many young and we look forward to another successful season. Information and photos of the eagles from these 3 nests from previous seasons can be found here. Please feel welcome to post your observations and photos of the eagles that inhabit these nests if you visit their nest area.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, October 07 2013 @ 11:03 AM EDT  
elle

Have toured the 3 Oak Bay nest areas several times in the last week or so. Yesterday was the first sighting.

Mr Anderson Hill on his post on Trial Island. Of all the snaps I preferred the one that showed a good portion of the island and lighthouse.

Click on image to download

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Wednesday, October 09 2013 @ 01:33 AM EDT  
gemini

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, October 10 2013 @ 08:50 PM EDT  
elle

Saw Pa Anderson Hill (?) again today on his post and also in the perch tree.

One of the neighbours at the Oak Bay Firehall says both from that pair have been back for about 5 days and they have been bringing lots of new sticks into the nest. Left thumb up They were not at the nest when we visited and we did not see them in any of the usual spots. Sad

No evidence of the Golf Course eagles yet.

Back with some pix.

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, October 11 2013 @ 08:18 PM EDT  
elle

This is one of the Anderson Hill eagles in their perch tree. I think it is the male but not sure. White spot on the chest and can't see if this is the banded one. But it also flew out to nab something out of the water and then perched on the post at Trial Island, which is the male's favourite spot. Puzzled
Photo taken yesterday afternoon when touring several local nests with KarenB, our overnight guest from across the pond.

Sitting pretty. One foot up , one foot down.

Oh My I see aFish:

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, October 12 2013 @ 12:44 PM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks, Lynda, for inviting me to take a break from my usual HWF work and come over to Victoria to do an eagle survey of your local nests with you and Ian.

Here's a couple of pics taken below the Anderson Hill nest on the water side. There were lots of seals on the rocks and cormorants as well.

All pics are clickable twice to view them full screensize.

Looking out toward Trial Island but no eagles at the moment.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, October 12 2013 @ 12:59 PM EDT  
karenbills

Then we drove up Anderson Hill and Ian spotted who we think is Pa in the favorite perch tree. Now I know exactly where the perch tree is that Lynda often refers to that Ma and Pa Anderson Hill use.

Here's Pa but not as close up as Lynda's pic as I only had my pocket camera with me.

I was intrigued by the gnarly trees that grow over the path we had to maneuver around to get up on the rocks to see the great view.

The perch tree definitely gives them a good view of their nest tree across the road as well as the view out to Trial Island and the water in between as well as the road below.

That view also reminds me of the time in 2007 when David Hancock, Harry Johnson/harrymilt and I were parked on the road below by the water looking out at Trial Island. We watched Ma Anderson Hill struggle with the dead aborted baby seal carcass that was too heavy for her to carry very far. It took her two hours for Pa and her to eat enough of it to make it light enough for Ma to fly up Anderson Hill and then into the nest to feed the eaglets. We raced up to the nest site to confirm for ourselves that the eagles that we had been watching were indeed the Anderson Hill pair.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, October 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM EDT  
elle

Nice snaps Karen. And you are welcome any time as you know.
Those gnarly trees are Garry Oaks that are indigenous to BC, mostly Vancouver Island, and supposedly protected but more and more are being felled for development. In fact 6 were recently removed for other new construction in the same cul-de-sac where the Oak Bay Firehall nest is.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:39 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate