Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2014 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, September 15 2013 @ 01:05 PM EDT (Read 299689 times)  
JudyB

Click here to view the cams!

Smaller versions of the cams:
Harrison North Small - staticpages/index.php/HarrMills-SmallCameraNorth
Harrison South Small - staticpages/index.php/HarrMills-SmallCameraSouth

The Harrison Mills bald eagle nest is 175 feet up a huge Douglas fir - on the 10th green of the Sandpiper Golf Course at Pretty Estates Resort - and the folks at Pretty Estates have named the adults Mr. and Mrs. Honeycomb, in the Penthouse Nest.

For David Hancock's history of the Harrison Mills nest read his lengthy article. I suggest printing it to read at your leisure: forum/viewtopic.php?topic=575875#575875

2013 was the first year we watched this nest, and while there were some occasional eagle visits, Mr. and Mrs. Honeycomb didn't arrive until mid March (see below for a possible reason). They promptly set to work, fixed up the nest, and laid two eggs four days apart, both of which hatched four days apart. Both Birdie and Bogey did well for a couple of weeks, though little Bogey was always visibly smaller, but then Birdie started a major growth spurt and there were a few days with less food - which meant that there was none left for the now much smaller chick; little Bogey died when he/she was 23 days old. Birdie thrived, and fledged successfully. He was seen flying down near the river - and did return to the nest for a couple of quick visits before heading off to see the world. You can read all about the 2013 nesting season here - Harrison Mills 2013 Observations and Discussion

2013-2014 Nesting Season

Parents Return:

Mrs Honeycomb was first seen on the nest Oct.3 at 7:38am..

Mr Honeycomb was first seen on the nest Oct.18..at 9:32 am

Special Lady showed up on the nest Nov. 29, 2013

Click here

March 23
Mom spends night on the nest
Click here

March 26.
Mom sleeps on the nest again

Eggs Laid Egg # 1, April 4 at 8:48pm

The one Egg did not Hatch (Mom stopped incubating on May 31 (day 57 for the egg); Dad stopped incubating on June 15 (day 72); both adults were spending time off the nest before they completely stopped incubating; on July 20, both adults spent time on the nest, and covered the egg (day 107))

Mom and Dad last seen.. Aug.21 ...6:11am .... 6:22am..

ClickHere

2013 eaglets Birdie and Bogey, May 16, 2013, courtesy of IrishEyes

Thanks to David Hancock, Karen Bills, Ken Cillis and the folks at Pretty Estates Resort for making it possible for us to watch these eagles, up close and personal!

Nest Adoptions for 2014

To date in the calendar year 2014 the Harrison Mills nest has been adopted by:

~Debs
~Dan
~IrishEyes
~JudyB
~Michelle/amd
~Deb's Grandchildren
~The O'Neil Family: in appreciation of all the Hancock members
~RitaR

You too can honor your favorite fine feathered family -
and support the work of Hancock Wildlife -
by adopting the HWF nest of your choice -

Click HERE to see how!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, September 15 2013 @ 01:05 PM EDT  
JudyB

How to tell who is who -

Mrs Honeycomb has a band on her right leg, and appears to have a feather missing on the side of her tail; it may have broken - sometimes it looks as if I can see the top part of it.

(Picture courtesy of IrishEyes)

Mr Honeycomb has a dark stripe on the edge of one of his tail feathers:

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, September 15 2013 @ 01:06 PM EDT  
JudyB

About the Area and the Cams

The 2 PTZ cams offer fantastic views of the eagle activity on the Chehalis - Harrison Flats to the North East. The cams also see where the Chehalis Fish Cam is situated - and later - where the Eagle Cafe will be!

Map of the area (thanks, terrytvgal, for finding this!)

The view from the nest, with a special guest appearance from 2013 eaglet Birdie! (clicks bigger)

Link to David Hancock's report on the installation of the cams in 2012

Link to pictures by Karen Bills of the cam installation (that is one big tree!)

A bit of information about our ptz cam operations.

Our zoomers have been requested to keep the zoom cam and the embedded cam open simultaneously. There is a delay from the time they zoom the cam and the time you see it so they need to see when the change takes place before moving the camera again.

Having two windows open on their screen, which may be all they can fit on their monitor, they can't always read what is being posted at the forum at that time. If you post that you want the zoom changed or the panning changed our zoomerss are not aware of your request until after they leave zooming and open the forum window again.

Our own zoomers are not the only people who can access our cam controls. The landowners have access to change the zoom/pan which takes it out of our control. David and Ken can also change the cam at any given time without our knowledge. It is not always our own zoom team on the cameras.

Our zoomers are experienced eagle observers. If the cam zooms in closely they may be checking on the health of a chick/adult, checking food items, checking markings on an adult (eg: Delta Dad has a small spot next to his pupil on the right eye which identifies him from Mom), checking beaks/feet which may change colour if eagles are poisoned, and panning the area checking for intruders and watching eaglets once they learn to branch. Many times observations which may be of concern are reported to David Hancock for his biology records.

We wish we could accommodate all requests to have the camera in the exact spot each of you want it to be but that is impossible.

Thanks.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

JudyB

Where Were the Eagles Before March 2013?

from an article by David Hancock
Written on June 2, 2013

I believe this is a new pair that took up residency, showing up on March 10, 2013 and laying the first egg April 4. They seem a well experienced pair. They are certainly doing well and if the river and fields produce the food we could easily see the pair fledge both chicks. The pair directly eastward across the Harrison River beside the Old Orchard Campsite now have two big chicks -- their usual.

To me the really interesting question about this pair is "Where did they come from?" How or where did they seem to acquire all the professional experience to do so many things right? When you compare the inadequate behaviors at the White Rock nest, with all the different birds attempting to nest this year that resulted in total failure, this late arriving pair seems to have it all together. How? Did they come from another nest nearby? This is actually more possible that you might have thought.

About two miles north of this nest is the famous Morris Valley Slough and this area has been part of my study. It is just on the northern side of the Sts'ailes village - the Harrison Mills nest is on the southern side. The Morris Valley nest, overseeing this very famous and rich Morris Valley Slough had a pair of eagles nesting on the eastern shoreline. By the way you can see one nest from the other across the Chehalis alluvial fan. This nest was directly in line with the newly advancing BC Hydro power line and the nest was removed. I was actually brought in to consult on the mitigation. What could be done in return for removal of the nest? Well the answer was quite simple in my mind. First considerations were given to the rare and endangered frogs in the slough. Then there were lots of adjacent very large trees that could support a bald eagle nest. The 'removal permit' had requested Hydro to improve two or three alternative but nearby trees. I simply advised the climbing crew what nearby trees to place crossbars and take out a couple of "flight blocking branches" to facilitate a new nest. The real challenge here was that the nest removal and work up in the new trees was done in late January when the eagles were already on territory. Then with the huge helicopters, the many work crews and researchers using this same site I doubted we could expect the eagles to establish a new nest this season.

Perhaps this pair decided to simply move downstream two miles and take advantage of the unoccupied HM site. I personally suspect this is the case and the Harrison Mill nest site and territory was literally the immediate territory to the south and they took advantage of it. Six years ago there was another nesting territory between the Morris Valley nest and what is now our Harrison Mills nest. However, that nest tree on the Sts'ailse village site, was in a tree that fell. This meant that the Morris Valley pair held the adjacent territory making the move even less a shift. If the experienced Morris Valley pair are indeed our pair it certainly explains why they arrived on the scene late - when they were driven off their territory in February by continuing human activity - and why they had so much parental experience.

David Hancock

(link to original article)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

JudyB

Summary from 2013..2014. by Bev.aka ..Irish Eyes.

Dates Mom + Dad returned
Mrs Honeycomb was first seen on the nest Oct.3 , 2013 at 7:38am..

Mr Honeycomb was first seen on the nest Oct.18., 2013 .at 9:32 am

Mom and Dad didn't take a Mid -Winter Break this season .. although they were not seen at times for a week or so.

The both worked on their nest

Mom is on nest.Dec.3.2013

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=588620#588620

Dec. 4, 2013
Mom and Dad in the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=588911#588911

Dec.5 , 2013...... Mom and Dad in the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=589147#589147

Dec.11 , 2013.Mom and Dad in the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=590594#590594

Dec.14, 2013,Mom on her perch by the river

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=591424#591424

Dec.15, 2013...... Mom and Dad on Mom's perch

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=591672#591672

Dec.17, 2013.Mom + Dad on Mom's Perch

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=592258#592258

Dec.18, 2013.Mom on her perch out front

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=592561#592561

Dec.18, 2013.Mom and Dad in the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=592636#592636

Dec.19, 2013......Mom and Dad in the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=592881#592881

Dec.25,2013.Mom in the nest,..Mom and Dad on Mom's perch out front

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=594972#594972

Dec. 28, 2013.Mom and Dad on the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=595640#595640

Dec. 30, 2013.Mom in the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=596120#596120\

Jan 4, 2014

Mom and Dad perched close to the nest,although at that time we didn't know if would become one of their Fav.perches.Smile

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=597855#597855

Jan.7.....Mom perched close to the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=598748#598748

Jan8, 2014.Mom perched close to the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=598874#598874

Jan 16, 2014
Mom and Dad on the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=600755#600755

Jan.18, 2014
Mom close to the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=601591#601591

Jan. 23. 2014. Not sure ? Honeycomb

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=603114#603114

Jan 24, 2014Mom+ Dad on the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=603403#603403

Jan.26, 2104.MOm and Dad in the nest

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=603874#603874

Report for DHancock

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=613444#613444

Feb.16, 2014
Cams are down.

Feb 19....... Cams are back

Feb.24, 2014.Mom and Dad are on the nest ....

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=615442#615442

Thank You HWF and Pretty Estates for the Cams ..... and to all zoomers, those you took s'caps and documented this nest...and to JudyB for the wonderful Cam Presets .. collage of patrol locations and times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 23
Mom spends night on the nest
Click here

March 26.
Mom sleeps on the nest again

Click here

More Links to the 2014 Harrison Mills Nest Summary .......2014.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, September 25 2013 @ 10:29 AM EDT  
JudyB

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

7:12 am

I just took a quick peek at the cam control window for the North cam - and guess what I found!

Click on image to download

I don't know if this was one of our pair, or someone passing by. He or she was initially on the nest - I caught a flash of white as I brought up the cam, and panned out to the branches - which is where I saw the eagle. I only got one s'cap, was trying to zoom in to check for band or tail feathers when he/she flew off to the left. I panned around a bit, but didn't find anyone.

I do hope Ken is able to get at least one of the cams back online soon - but know that he has a huge number of projects left from all the cam installation/maintenance visits over the last few weeks. I will let him know that an eagle has been seen - maybe that will help move this nearer the top of the list. Smile

[Admin note - if it looks like this was the first observed visit by one of the resident pair, I'll move this post and any subsequent posts to the new thread for the 2014 nesting season.]

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: RitaR (offline) on Wednesday, September 25 2013 @ 10:49 AM EDT  
RitaR

WOW!!! This is fantastic! Thank you so much JudyB.

Forum

Oregon Coast

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, September 25 2013 @ 10:56 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

WHOoo HOoo.... Thanks Judy B..This is so exciting.. I am happy you saw this eagle.... i know you must have been thrilled Smile............ and Hi Rita R....

ADDED

Thank you Judy for notifying Ken..... we all know everyone is doing their best to get our cams streaming again....

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 10:25 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate