Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Eagle Cams
 Wolf River, WI - 2014 Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 11:55 AM EDT (Read 5409 times)  
urdognu

Welcome to Wolf River, Shiocton, WI 2014 Bald Eagle Cam

Cam Links
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/WolfRiverCam-New-London
with a direct link to the Hancock Wildlife Foundation Wolf River Eagle Nest Thread.

Ustream with chat
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/WolfRiverCam-New-London

Wolf River Eagles Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiverEagles

Thank you Gary Bunnell for installing, running and managing this cam…and Pat Fisher...

Located on the banks of the Wolf River in Wisconsin, these bald eagles have built a nest in a large white pine tree. The nest is not viewable from any roadway and rests on private property.

The parents at this nest have been named George and Martha. In 2010, they hatched and fledged 3 chicks - not banded. In 2011 they banded 2 chicks. In 2012 (first year of the cam) two eggs were laid and both hatched at the end of April. Shadow (M) was the first hatch and Feather (F) hatched two days later. Both successfully fledged towards the end of July. Both were banded.

A Great Horned Owl visited the nest on February 4, 2013 and apparently liked it, because she returned night after night. Late February 8 or early on February 9 she laid an egg. It was decided that the GHO pair would be named Bonnie (F) and Clyde (M) (because they 'stole' the nest). One of the three owls hatched. The owlet Storm - also nicknamed "Little Hoot" - left the nest on May 1 when he/she was 45 days old; owlets can't fly until they are 60-70 days old - but do move onto branches at a younger age, and are fed there by the adults - so we are hoping all is well; one of the people in the area heard an owlet food-begging a couple of days later - perhaps it was Storm.

George and Martha were seen working on the nest in early August, 2013. Hopefully the resident eagles will return to nest for the 2014 nesting season.

Based on 2012 history, look for eggs towards the last half of March, chicks at the end of April, and fledging in late July.

Martha and George guarding the nest... May 20, 2012
(pictures courtesy of Pat Fisher)
Click on image to download

Owlet Storm 4 days before fledge, 2013
(screen capture by urdognu)

Link to last seasons thread (2013)
forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=420941

Link to 2012 season thread
forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=352500

Judy Lynn

HELPFUL HINTS

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 11:55 AM EDT  
urdognu

More information on the Wolf River Nest...

Gary Bunnell runs the Wolf River Cam and he shared the following information with me. He said he loves the Hancock Wolf River thread and plans to sign up soon.

Pat Fisher (Grehwind7) is the eagle expert and part of the reason this cam is running. She has a bird rehabilitation center (which I call, The house and the cages), that goes by the name of The Feather ( www.thefeather.org ). Pat takes in 60-100 birds per year for rehab. She does have educational birds and does programs. Pat does have flight pens and cages of all sizes outdoors and brings the birds inside to the basement for the winter. I had to laugh tonight when we were putting up a feeding station camera for her local GHOs that are free but reside nearby, when I came back into the shed, she was putting away the Sandhill Cranes. Here's this lady walking the 2 Cranes into the shed and into there rooms. When I say walking, I mean they walk next to her....no leash, no coaxing, just follow her. Pretty cool to see. Pat uses donations and her own money to make it all work. She drives school bus for the elementary school and will be on summer break soon. Oops, forgot to mention, Pat is 76. She has a great supporting cast, but the day to day is all her. Our purpose is to bring her exposure, help rise some money for her since she thought she might have to close the doors this spring. Our websites get about 10 million hits per year, so I think we have the ability to help her. What my wife (Kim) and I do with Wolf River Cam, comes out of our own pockets, which a couple bucks from advertisers helps a little.

We did have a local conservation group help pay for almost all of the eagle cam and the upcoming osprey cam. Shadows on the Wolf does great things for the area. They do all kinds of restoration and nature bolstering work all the way to youth programs with funding for others. They raise money and put it back into the environment. We are also helping to raise awareness for them, though they do have a better presence than The Feather, as far as people participating and raising money.

We do get a fair amount of traffic to our cameras as you have seen and have been on the local tv station. However, I think our traffic isn't as high because of the area being so small. Heck Shiocton, WI has about 1,000 people. The motto for the town is "We Like It Here" and with good reason, having the Wolf River running through it and all it provides. We might be small, but we're passionate. With things like losing our main cam on the eagle nest, we have to get through the tough times and take care of each other...or try to think of the worst case scenario and put up a backup 4 months prior when we did the main install. Did you see the lightning strike video?

Livewildlifecams will have the main updates. I started that website so I could generalize a little. I own that one as well as www.wolfrivercam.com, www.livedeercamera.com and www.livefishcam.com.

2012 Fledglings... Shadow (m) and Feather (f)

Judy Lynn

HELPFUL HINTS

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 11:56 AM EDT  
urdognu

Article : Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wolf River eagles ready for their closeup
Getting the cam installed.
http://uponthesandhill.blogspot.com/201 ... their.html

2012 banding of the two eaglets, Shadow & Feather

Judy Lynn

HELPFUL HINTS

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 11:56 AM EDT  
urdognu

reserved

Judy Lynn

HELPFUL HINTS

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 11:57 AM EDT  
urdognu

reserved

Judy Lynn

HELPFUL HINTS

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 06:40 PM EDT  
urdognu

I just checked the cam and it is streaming.
George and Martha have some cleanup to do.

Judy Lynn

HELPFUL HINTS

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglet999 (offline) on Tuesday, October 08 2013 @ 03:28 PM EDT  
eaglet999

Forum

Profile     PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Monday, October 28 2013 @ 12:41 AM EDT  
urdognu

Gary Bunnell (cam owner) saw George and Martha on the river today.
George was romancing Martha in a tree.

The cam has been down for maintenance and will be streaming soon.

Judy Lynn

HELPFUL HINTS

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:43 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate