Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Birds other than raptors
 Birds -- General Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, January 06 2010 @ 10:06 AM EST (Read 9279 times)  
jkr

This thread is for discussion of birds. It does not need to be species specific and all subjects related to birds are welcome here. For discussion of specific species please post in the appropriate thread. If a thread does not exist yet for the species you would like to discuss in more depth, please pm a Moderator and request a thread be created.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 06:20 PM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

If you like Penguins, then you might like these 3 cams from the California Academy of Sciences:
http://www.calacademy.org/webcams/penguins/index.php" rel="nofollow">CAS Live Penguin Cams

ETA: "Feeding times everyday at 10:30am and 3:30pm."

By: Anonymous: StephaneD () on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 02:03 PM EST  
Anonymous: StephaneD

If some of you are from Eastern Townships in Quebec, I offer you to come along with us, in about a month, to search for Owls. We will spend time in the evening to find vocalizing owls and, if possible, sometimes even see them!
If you are interested in those excursions, contact me through MP and I will be happy to keep you posted about the dates and place to meet us.

Stephane Deshaies
Eastern Townships, Quebec

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 05:32 AM EST  

California Academy of Sciences "Senior Aquatic Biologist, Pamela Schaller, keeps the museum's 20 African Penguins happy while in captivity."

"How To Keep Captive Penguines"

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 06:30 PM EST  

Feeding time in 1 minute. S'cap of 3:25 pm shows live cam view; they are excited knowing it's almost time for din-din. Grin

Click on image to download

By: jwnix (offline) on Wednesday, February 03 2010 @ 03:43 PM EST  
jwnix

intersting story re: whooping cranes. i cannot find a crane thread however.....

Chassahowitzka Crane Release: Who Let the Cranes Out? February 3, 2010

Predictably, on the morning of January 28th, there was no snow on the ground on the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge near Crystal River, Florida. As we launched our airboat to travel to the Whooping Crane pen site, I noted lack of decorative trees and observed no stockings hung by the chimney with care. Nevertheless, to me, it still felt a little bit like Christmas. As the careful reader has noticed, it was, however, not Christmas; it was the day we would release the Chassahowitzka 2009 ultralight-led Whooping Cranes chicks from their top-netted pen. On the brief airboat ride to the pen, I was as excited as I was cold. No coffee maker necessary at this office. A brief, chilly January airboat ride is sure to awaken even the sleepiest conservationists.

On hand for the early morning ceremony was Sara Zimorski, tracking and winter management team co-leader and ICF aviculturalist; Dr. Richard Urbanek, US Fish and Wildlife’s Senior Project Biologist, tracking team co-leader, and resident crane expert; and myself, Matt Strausser, ICF tracker and self-described part-time airboat stevedore.

Upon arrival at the site and in spite of my protests, we adorned ourselves in our typical crane costumes, saving our garish holiday sweaters and red Santa hats for perhaps another day. Like most great plans, ours was simple. While in costume, we would swing wide the door of the top-netted pen where the cranes had been housed since their arrival at Chassahowitzka and allow the cranes to fly out. Once the cranes had emptied and chosen a nearby place to land, I would lure them away from the top-netted pen with grapes and tacit promises of intra-species companionship. With cranes distracted and distant, Richard and Sara would deconstruct, disassemble, and do away with the top-netted pen.

Our plan was set into action. With the door open, the cranes, though wary at first, were anxious to stretch their wings and get airborne. With running starts, eight cranes shot out of the pen and were instantly aloft. They circled the pen viewing their new home from, quite literally, a bird’s eye view. In a manner unfitting of such an exciting event, the remaining two birds, #3-09 and #4-09 were content to unceremoniously walk out of the pen to a nearby puddle. However, there was no time to discuss their exeunt. I joined the two saunterers in the puddle to make a crowd. Although I had the desire and they the ability, none of this trio would fly that morning. Instead we would walk together to the far northwest corner of the pen where I had coordinated a rendezvous with six other birds. Numbers 5-09 and 13-09, who originally landed northwest of the pen, would soon join us for a quick session of foraging in the mud and wandering about. Meanwhile, not unlike the biblical walls of Jericho, the top-netted pen quickly fell to the biologists. With cranes gathered and pen removed, we paused for a moment of silent celebration.

Unfortunately, in a disturbing similarity to the Christmases of my childhood, this event was in danger of being ruined by older relatives. Our moment of silent celebration was interrupted by a cacophonous arrival of six adult Whooping Cranes. Numbers 4-08, 14-08, 18-08, 24-08, 27-08, and 30-08 flew in from the south almost as soon as our plan was completed. Five of these adult birds are last year’s tenants at the Chassahowitzka pen site who returned with a sixth bird that wintered in St. Mark’s NWR but chose not to return to that panhandle pen populated by pines. The six adults had found suitable habitat in a nearby freshwater spring outlet on the refuge and had only appeared briefly at the pen site in the previous weeks.

We did not want the adults to harass the young chicks, receive any supplemental food, or recruit any of the young cranes to their flock, so the eviction process began. Sara and I would spend the rest of the very long day in costume defending the food and water stations from adults and reversing any ideas of Southern hospitality the cranes may have formulated last winter. Although most cranes are well socialized to the costumes, costumed humans tower over even the largest adult cranes and with a proper turn of the head can strike fear in aggressive birds. As evening fell, the adults, having received no food or welcome, retreated to an area south of the pen and spent the night out of sight, defeated. Those adults haven’t been seen at the pen site since and have returned to their previous habitat.

After all the chicks were safely roosting on the oyster bar and not a creature was stirring, the exhausted aviculturalist and I enjoyed a chilly nighttime airboat ride under a nearly full moon. Much needed showers, food, and sleep would conclude this Christmas-ish day of operation.

And so the 2009 Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge ultralight-led Whooping Crane chicks, known as the “Chass birds” to their friends, now roam in and about their four-acre pen freely with an unlimited wealth of mud, crane chow, and freshwater, a veritable crane Shangri-La.

Update by Matt Strausser, ICF Tracking Intern.

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 01:30 AM EST  
jwnix

this recently aired in louisiana....Nancy is a well known humminbird bander, and local author....

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/stor ... ZGkeg.cspx

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Saturday, March 27 2010 @ 09:08 PM EDT  
HikerBikerGram

This is from beans, it was posted on Bird Talk 101

Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/Celebrating ... f6FWjq21e8" rel="nofollow">Tiny Eurasian Nuthatch Prepares her Nest

The Eurasian Nuthatch, Sitta europaea, is a small passerine found throughout temperate Europe and Asia, although not in Ireland. It belongs to the nuthatch family Sittidae. This bird is the most common and most widespread nuthatch, and is often referred to just as the Nuthatch. Source: Wikipedia

The nestbox we see is actually meant for Tawny Owls. The opening is too large for the Nuthatches, who need an opening not larger than 5 cm in diameter. In previous years, the Nuthatch solved that problem by reducing the entrance using clay, a trick Nuthatches often use.

The Nuthatches have been inspecting this nestbox, eating some insects, and tapping against the edge of the entrance hole. It has passed their scrutiny, and so now building the nest has begun.

From the Geniet van de Lente forum:

“Building the nest happens in 3 phases: first, various potential nest cavities are cleaned up early in spring. Once the definitive nest spot has been picked, adjusting the entrance hole starts at the same time as furnishing. First, a basis is laid of wood chips. Esp. in square nestboxes and in deep tree cavities lots of filler material is used. On top of that, the real furnishing material is placed. Thin pieces of (Scots) Pine (Pinus sylvestris) bark are by far preferred. Nuthatches may fly distances of a several hundred yards to fetch that stuff. If it really isn't available, a bed is made of dry leaves and bark of other trees. Only the female bird will enter with nest material, put it down and make circular movements to create a comfortable nest "bowl".

Mr. Nuthatch limits himself to a supporting role. Observing nest building from scratch showed that the female brought material 297 times vs. the male only 11 times.

The female is busy "mortaring" the entrance hole. Cracks and crevices are also closed. In the top right hand corner the result of her craftsmanship slowly becomes visible. As said before, the female does most of the work, the male guards the scene. The material used for "mortaring" is diverse: earth, mud, cow manure and even a freshly laid dog turd. Good thing birds can hardly smell ...”

The live cams and forum are sponsored by the Dutch Society for the Protection of Birds (VBN).

Geniet van de Lente (enjoy spring) forum, with English translations: http://genietvandelente.nl/index.php

Beleef de Lente (experience spring) live cams: http://www.beleefdelente.nl/

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Linda/HikerBikerGram

Joined May 12, 2009

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Forum

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:39 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate