Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 CalTrans Eagle Cam, Turtle Bay, CA - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 06:03 PM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

2:41 p.m. PST, Bonding.

Patriot was working in the bowl cup. Liberty dropped in, pushed him to the right side, knocking him off balance. Patriot watched Lib work in the cup for a few then decided a little bonding was in order. Patriot then left the bowl.
Click on image to download

ETA: Okay, I need help here. After looking at the recording a few times, I'm not sure if I saw bonding or if Liberty was miffed at Patriot for pushing her out of the way. Please take a look at the video. What do you think? Was it bonding or a disagreement?

Video: Interaction

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 08:25 PM EST  
JudyB

I'm afraid I'm still a novice at telling them apart - I'll wait until the experts check in. :dunno:

I do know there's an eagle in the nest, and it looked as if he(?) brought in more fluff for the nest bowl. Smile

5:28 pm
Both there briefly, and now I'm quite sure this is Patriot, rearranging the fluff that (I'm now thinking) Liberty brought in, and checking to make sure it's comfy! love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 11:12 PM EST  
eaglewoman

Clapping Great job on the video CAL04!
I am by no means an expert, but it looks to me like Liberty mounted Patriot?!? Does that happen with eagles? I've seen female dogs do that to male dogs as an act of dominance, but I hadn't seen that with these eagles before?
Knowing this pair though, I would say that it definitely was a pair-bonding activity and not a conflict. They always vocalize before they mate, and it looked like Liberty was vocalizing beforehand. And, she looked rather clumsy on top of him, too, didn't she?

I was down there tonite with my sister and hubby and we saw them mate on the victory branch around 5:15 or so. I was surprised to see them mate since I hadn't seen that as much lately. But, they did vocalize beforehand as usual
, and unfortunately I wasn't able to capture it on video. Lots of working on the nest, and more picking at that one branch by Patriot. What is that about anyway? Have we figured that out yet? I will have to ask Sharon at TB about that one!
eaglewoman

Here's a scap from early this morning, just to give an update on how the nest is looking...Hopefully it will have an egg in it soon!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 06:11 AM EST  

Thank you JudyB and EW for your replies as to which eagle was on top during my Feb 10th video: Patriot or Liberty?

Yes, eaglewoman, when it comes to eagles we are always seeing something new, for sure. I now am certain that it was, in fact, Liberty who took the top position. Oh My

Actually, while I was recording I saw Liberty get the "push". But then when that same eagle took the top position, I changed my thinking as to which eagle I was seeing. For me, this has been a lesson in how biased thinking and/or viewing can change a particular perspective. I should have trusted my own eyes in the first place instead of giving way to stereotypical notions of reality.

Also, it was running through my mind that Patriot and Liberty usually do not have conflicts so it must have been Patriot on top. Then, I later reconsidered that since it is close to egg laying time, maybe Liberty's behavior is somewhat modified or she just isn't herself right now. Maybe she is, just a tad, being a "Mamazilla". Whatever the case, pair bonding or conflict, it was an interesting interaction between Patriot and Liberty. This kind of thing keeps me coming back for more eagle viewing. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your replies. The "Who is on top?" scene absolutely blew my mind!

Liberty on Top, 10 Feb 2010, 2:41 p.m. PST

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 12:14 PM EST  
JudyB

9:10 am
A talon clasping a fish just arrived in the nest. I suspect the rest of the eagle is attached, but as it's at the back of the nest, it is a bit hard to tell who it might be.

After waiting a minute or two, the eagle began eating the fish. I can now see the whole eagle, but haven't had a clear look at the neckline to tell who it is.

9:30 am
Still there, working on the fish. I still haven't had a clear look at who it is, but am thinking it's more likely to be Liberty, because I'd think she'd be nearby, and I can't imagine that she'd let Patriot eat for a half hour without coming in for her share. Wink

9:52 am
Liberty(?) finished her meal and left a few minutes ago. And now both are back, working on the nest.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 04:57 PM EST  
JudyB

1:56 pm
Both were just there doing a bit of reorganizing. Only one visible now, though I had the impression that the other one didn't go very far.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 12:00 AM EST  
eaglewoman

Yes JudyB~I was down there tonite around 5pm, and Liberty was sitting on the Victory Branch when I first arrived. She eventually hopped into the nest, and kept looking around as if she expected Patriot to arrive. It was almost 5:40 when I headed out, and then I looked back and Patriot had arrived and was sitting on Lover's Limb. Liberty flew off and circled around and then landed right next to him. Then, I heard some of their beautiful calls and saw that they were mating. They sure are a bonded pair!!!:oops:

CAL04 ~I sent the link to your video to my friend at Turtle Bay, she worked with eagles for 20 years, so she's seen a lot of different behaviors. Here's what she said....

As for the mounting of Liberty to Patriot, I would say that was pure dominance... if you watch, right before that she yells at him and then he pushes her out of his way... I would have jumped on his back too! How rude! Smile

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 06:13 AM EST  

Thank you, eaglewoman, for getting another opinion on the "Interaction" video from your friend.

This afternoon Patriot edged Liberty over in the same position but did not knock her off balance. Their exchange was over exactly where to place tree bark and fluff. Patriot wanted it where he wanted it. Liberty just left the nest and let him have his way. Believe that she is saving her energy for something more important. :dry:

4:15 p.m. PST, 11 Feb 2010
Edged over; here we go again.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:08 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate