Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Oak Bay Eagles -- 2010-2012 Seasons
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 02:11 AM EST (Read 39665 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Oak Bay Eagles thread. There are 3 nests in the Municipality of Oak Bay that have been monitored by the locals: the Fire Hall nest is in a tree behind the Oak Bay Fire Hall on Monterey Avenue; the Golf Course nest is in a tree in front of the club house at the Victoria Golf Course on Beach Drive; the Anderson Hill nest is in a tree on private property near Anderson Hill Park. All 3 of the eagle pairs that inhabit these nests have been successful in raising several eaglets during the years I have been observing them.

A tragic event occurred at the Fire Hall nest last spring and it is thought there was at least one egg and possibly a chick in the nest at the time of the tragedy in mid-April. Several neighbours have told me the eagles started screeching in the middle of the night and someone shone a spotlight on the nest but nobody seems to know for sure what happened. Some people I spoke with suggested raccoons caused the eagles to be upset by trying to steal the egg(s) or chick(s) and others have suggested there might have been human interference. It is feared the eagles might have abandoned this nest as there has not been much activity observed by the firemen, neighbours or HWF ground observers in or around the nest. I have received info from WiTS that there is another nest in the area, within 2 blocks of the Fire Hall, but it isn't known at this time if this nest belongs to the Fire Hall eagles or if it belongs to a new pair in the area. HWF ground observers will be watching the area for signs of the eagles rebuilding.

Information and photos of the eagles from these 3 nests can be found in the old forum here: Oak Bay Eagles Please feel welcome to post your observations and photos of the eagles that inhabit these nests if you visit their nest area.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 07:43 PM EST  
sassyk

I spent a few hours today visiting all 3 Oak Bay nests. There were no eagles at the Fire Hall nest or anywhere in the area. Just as I was getting out of the car at the Golf Course, one of the eagles flew in and perched in the tree across from the entrance. It must have been fishing or having a bath because it perched there for a long time with its wings fanned out and flapped them a few times. Both Anderson Hill eagles were perched in their favourite tree and I could see the Golf Course eagle still perched in the tree from the lookout at Anderson Hill. One of the Anderson Hill eagles flew off a short time later and I spotted it on top of the marker on Trial Island as I was driving by. The other eagle was still perched in the tree when I left the park. I haven't uploaded my pix yet but will post some later.

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow who was working in the garden at a property on a side street near the Glenlyon Norfolk School on Beach Drive. I asked him about the eagles and he pointed out the trees behind the property next door and said the eagles have had a nest in one of the trees for years. He said the nest is not visible from the side street where he was but might be visible from the next side street over, which is actually where the nest tree is. He said he hasn't noticed any young eagles in the area but hasn't spent much time watching them as he is there working. The location of the nest he told me about is exactly the location on the report the WiTS Coordinator sent me. If these eagles have had this nest for many years, then they can't be the Fire Hall eagles and I think the eagles I photographed in the tree behind the Glenlyon Norfolk School are the eagles from this nest and not the Fire Hall eagles. This is puzzling newsPuzzled Where, oh where, are our Fire Hall eagles:dunno:

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 10:04 PM EST  
sassyk

Here are a few pix of one of the Golf Course eagles that I took yesterday. I think this is Mom and she flew in just as I got out of the car; if I had arrived 2 minutes earlier I would have been ready to take some pix of her landing in the tree. The sound of her wings was music to my earsNodding yes I'm guessing she must have been fishing or bathing as she was fanning her wings most of the time I was there.
Click on image to download

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 10:06 PM EST  
sassyk

A few pix of Golf Course Mom preening.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 10:11 PM EST  
sassyk

A few more pix of Golf Course Mom, watching me with her eagle eyesgiggle I like the 2nd pic.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 10:16 PM EST  
sassyk

Mom Golf Course was still perched on top of the fir tree across from the entrance to the golf course when I went to the lookout at the top of Anderson Hill. Here is a pic of the nest taken from the entrance to the golf course, and pix of the nest tree and Mom in the fir tree taken from Anderson Hill.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 11:07 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Great pics Kay! Out of those wet eagle pics the very last one is my fav. That is one great nest for the juvies to branch in thatís for sure. Looks like they even get shade. How perfect is that?

Lovely job my friend love

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 12:46 AM EST  
sassyk

Thank You Lori.

Here are a few pix of the Anderson Hill eagles that I took yesterday; they are perched in their favourite tree right beside a house. I'm sure the owners can look out their window and look them in the eye.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:32 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate