Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Falcons
 PF Cam - Edmonton, Alberta, CA
 |  Printable Version
By: soph9 (offline) on Tuesday, January 05 2010 @ 09:03 PM EST (Read 46230 times)  
soph9

NOTE: The U of AB cam is off line for the 2016 season. However, members have reported on other active Edmonton area nests for the 2015 season in this thread so it will remain active in case they wish to post for the 2016 nesting season.

2014 Season -Peregrine Falcon Cam - U of A, Edmonton, Alberta, CA

Apr 28, 2014
Click on image to download

Project History: The Peregrine Webcam Project is a valuable project preserving and appreciating urban wildlife species. It is an important component to campus sustainability because it creates awareness of endangered species that exist within our immediate environments, as well as bringing diverse network of community stakeholders together to talk about issues of sustainability. A camera was installed on the U of Calgary peregrines in the early 1990s. That camera was not only the first webcam on a peregrine nest anywhere, it was the first webcam on any bird nest in the world. There are nine other webcams in Eastern Canada.

There are now more than forty-five pairs of Peregrine Falcons across Alberta, including one pair nesting atop the Clinical Sciences building on the University of Alberta campus. There are three webcams focused on the Peregrine nest box, one with an outdoor view of the nest box from the side, one with an outdoor view of the nest box from the front and one on the box, which provides a view of the nest inside.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Weather Report

Note: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is on Mountain Time, which is UTC/GMT -7 hours during standard time and UTC/GMT -6 hours during daylight savings time.

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: bev. (offline) on Tuesday, January 19 2010 @ 11:31 AM EST  
bev.

I do not know if I should post this here. Everything has changed and all my other posts are gone.

anyhow these are slide shows that I finally made of the 2009 season

Well, I have finally finished the slide shows. I have broken them up into about 7 different slideshows.

This was a hard year for me, as I found organizing the first fledge watch very draining. It has taken a long time for me to recover . It also meant I could not take as many pictures for all of you.

The shots in my shows are all from the ground so they are not always big. I tried to tell the story with the pictures.
Peter and I are still very troubled about the demise of white band as we always said he never left the nest box roof. I guess having picked him off the ground and looking him in the eyes made it worse. I still have not been able to meet with the biologists but things will have to change next year if I do this officially.
Peter and I do not think we are knowledgeable enough to make the call as to whether they should be put back or not. I think they should always be checked out by someone who deals with the raptors on a daily basis. If we had not put him back , maybe he would have survived.

Having said that , we did do 5 rescues and had 3 make it to migration. 3 of the rescues were as a result of interference and this is unfortunate. It was not because they were not capable of flying. Red Bands first rescue was becasue he was scared off the perch when yellow band landed in the white contraption. His wings were not developed enough to be fledging. # 2 rescue of red band was becasue he was spooked off the roof by maintenance workers. # 3 should have been rescue #1 for him but at least he stayed put for a few days after that and was later very cocky and strong. He was a hoot to watch. Quite the personality.

I hope you enjoy my story in slides.
See next post

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: bev. (offline) on Tuesday, January 19 2010 @ 11:33 AM EST  
bev.

These shows are dedicated to white band

I have put start and The end adn tired to say how many pictures in each one.
Someone requested I do that and it makes sense. I will have to learn how to do titles. they are not professional but doing them brought back so many memories.:love::love:
Click on pictures

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: bev. (offline) on Tuesday, January 19 2010 @ 11:34 AM EST  
bev.

The next 2 slideshows are the start of fledging and Froona after her first night night out.
Poor Froona. She had such a strong flight at 9:30pm and the next day a maintenance worker scared her off the heart building intentionally because he thought a helicopter could come in. I did not report him and thankfully she was strong and eventually did well the day after.
what a beauty she is.

click on picutres

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: bev. (offline) on Tuesday, January 19 2010 @ 11:36 AM EST  
bev.

The next is a series of 4 slideshows showing the kids in action. I always tried to find all 3.

I had to leave suddenly mid august so Peter was left with the task of tracking them.

so when he came to pick me up on Vancouver Island mid September we had no one to watch them in action.
but Froona was still there when he left Sept14.

the first 2 slideshows
Click on pictures

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: bev. (offline) on Tuesday, January 19 2010 @ 11:38 AM EST  
bev.

The next 3 slideshows are up to Peter left mid -September.

These bring back so many memories. In one show I show all 3 kids on ledge tucking in for the night. Red and Froona were on the same ledge. I remember that because she came in so fast that I thought she would crash. Red looked astonished. those 2 were buds.
I think white and yellow would have been buds. Yellow was the one who left first and he was sighted in an area west of Edmonton where a lot gather before migration:clap2::clap2:
We always knew when Froona was around as she was so vocal. and Red always tried to knock the adults from their perches .
click on pictures

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: bev. (offline) on Tuesday, January 19 2010 @ 11:39 AM EST  
bev.

And finally Radissons last days before migration.
when we came back at the end of September we knew the kids would be gone. We must have just missed Damon leaving.
this ,for me , is always a sad time because we never know what the next year will hold.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: bev. (offline) on Tuesday, January 19 2010 @ 11:40 AM EST  
bev.

So I am done and feel relieved to have this done. I had so many pictures.
I split it up so as not to bore you too much.
remember these all from the ground and even with a great camera, when they are way up , they are way up ::grin::grin:

So I believe there are about 7 or 8 shows altogether

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:32 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate