Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Pitt River Bridge/Trail Eagles (DH#137)
 |  Printable Version
By: marjy2u (offline) on Sunday, June 09 2013 @ 09:44 PM EDT (Read 22476 times)  
marjy2u

This is an interesting nest I have recently seen in Port Coquitlam near the new Walmart and a new housing subdivision. I had suspicions that an adult might have been sitting on eggs some time ago, but I think it must be a cottonwood tree and since the leaves came in, I haven't been there much to see anything. I imagine there would be an eaglet(s) by now if that were the case.

It's an interesting location because of the new development there (hope they won't be scared off) and the close proximity to the new Pitt River bridge and the walking/biking trail along the river. There are actually 2 nests - I'm assuming the one a little closer to the river and trail (to the northeast of the first nest) is an older one. I have a screen cap of the satellite map of the area and I've circled where the nest area is if anyone is interested, but it is an old picture and doesn't show the stores or new houses.

If you drive to the very end of Nicola Pl there is a small parking area where the road ends. If you walk slightly north from the parking to the fenced area by the small creek, the nest tree is visible right there. Last time I was there, there was a partly-completed gravel walkway and a manicured grassy area that is fenced off, presumably connected to the new subdivision. To view the nest from the river side, you have to go over a weedy area east of the parking to get to the trail. If you went north a little past the lookout area on the trail, the other (old?) nest is "thataway." Titter

The picture of the pair below is from March 10 and the second one was March 27 (incubating?). Sorry - my camera really stinks! It's a small, old digital point-and-shoot.

Click on image to download

Forum

BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: marjy2u (offline) on Sunday, June 09 2013 @ 10:19 PM EDT  
marjy2u

This is the nearby unused nest. I'm not sure of the distance, but it is a very short walk up the trail/river (few hundred yards?) in a northeast direction from the first nest. Last time I was there, an adult was perched in another tree fairly close to this nest.

Forum

BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, June 10 2013 @ 02:11 AM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks for the update on nest #137 on David Hancock's eagle map, Marj. We only knew of the original nest but not that this pair had built an alternate nest nearby. If you are able to confirm the presence of young in the nest you can report it to me at karen@hancockwildlife.org Also if you would like to start an observation thread here in the forum for this nest, just let us know. The new topic would be located in the section of the forum titled "Nests in BC - with Ground Observers". David encourages our members to report on their local nests.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: marjy2u (offline) on Monday, June 10 2013 @ 02:34 AM EDT  
marjy2u

Thanks for the reply, Karen! I had no idea that a map with nest locations was posted somewhere. Could you point me to that? I've spent too many hours already trying to navigate through the massive amount of information on this forum for various topics and just don't have any more time to hunt for the map. Maybe when I can retire ... someday. Thanks! Smile

Forum

BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, June 10 2013 @ 01:37 PM EDT  
karenbills

Sorry, Marj, for misleading you to think there was some online map of all David's known eagle nest locations in the Lower Mainland. He has a map book and I have made a copy of it for insurance in case he ever loses it. We know of over 360 bald eagle nests from West Van to Hope so there must be close to 500 in reality. David started to get an online version done a few years ago but it was too expensive to get the labor intensive program finished.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: marjy2u (offline) on Tuesday, June 11 2013 @ 01:20 AM EDT  
marjy2u

Oh darn! Oh well, would have been nice. Smile Thanks anyway, Karen.
I'm sure there are other nests out here in PoCo. I've seen eagles circling around high over the rail yard last summer and once on my drive home right over some townhouses near Glen Eagle Secondary in Coquitlam. I have also seen some type of hawk, but can't remember where now (I think it landed on the wires right at a main highway) and not sure what type (maybe red tailed). However, with all the new development here, I hope they aren't crowded out. Sad I must try to make some time to go and check out the nest by Walmart again. I think I'll call them the Pitts (for Pitt River) if they don't already have another name. Smile

Forum

BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: marjy2u (offline) on Monday, June 17 2013 @ 02:16 AM EDT  
marjy2u

I took a few minutes yesterday (Saturday) to visit this nest (late morning - noon). At first I thought I was out of luck as things looked pretty quiet. No adult in the nearby branches that I could see from the Western vantage point. I decided to walk over the small area of grass/weeds to the main trail along the river to see if I could see anything from the Eastern side of the nest (closer to the river). Nothing. This tree is about tree #12 if you count the full-size live trees starting right at the parking spots at the end of Nicola Place & moving in the north-east direction.

I spoke briefly with a local couple who were walking the trail and mentioned that I suspected a possible eaglet in this nest. The gentleman said that wouldn't surprise him - that there was an eaglet last year too. He also seemed to think that the other nest actually belongs to another pair! I would be shocked because they are quite close together but I suppose that is a possibility. The couple went on their way. I will have to try to go back another time and walk farther along to see if I can determine if the other nest is being used as well.

I walked a little farther and was about to turn around and head back when an adult flew over just a few yards in front of me and headed to the nest with what might have been a smaller-sized fish in its beak. I turned around and started to walk back toward the nest to see if I could get a better view. It must have been just a quick food "drop-and-fly" because the adult came right back off the nest tree and flew right over top of me - couldn't have been more than 20-25 feet over top of my head! I think I could have been in danger of a poop-shot on the head! Phew Quite a thrill! I could see his/her feet, it was that close. S/he headed across the river and landed on what appears to be a small log boom or something on the water on the other side. Wish I'd had my camera with me (even though it is NOT a good camera) but it all happened so fast I likely would have been out of luck anyway. Next time I will try to remember to take it with me, but I had decided at the last minute this time to go there because I was already out, so I wasn't prepared.

I watched the adult for a minute or 2, then decided to go back around to the other side of the nest again to see if I could spot anything. At first, I didn't' see anything but I waited a couple of minutes and I could just barely see what I'm quite sure is an eaglet doing some wingercising. There was some definite flapping going on. I don't have binoculars either, so I only saw what I could see with the naked eye. I think that it would be an eaglet similar in size & development to Tux or Feathers (from Delta or Lafarge).

PS - possibly they should be called Brad and Angelina (the Pitts) Titter

Forum

BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Monday, June 24 2013 @ 06:32 PM EDT  
Heather

Hello Everyone,

Marj2u. I too have been checking on this nest. I believe this is this pair's second nest. When the leaves are off the trees, it looking at the right angle, the first nest can be scene not far from this nest.
Before the new houses were built, they were more or less foundations at the time, we stopped by this nest, and watched the pair do a swap. Then several visits after that, there didn't seem to be any activity at all. After talking to several people that live in the area, and walk the dyke on a almost daily basis, we were told that the eagles hadn't been seen for quite some time.
That changed about two weeks ago, when my husband and I stopped by, there was an adult in the nest. She/he then hopped out of the tree and stayed there. We didn't see any thing in the nest. We made our way around the dyke where we spotted the second adult in a tree over looking the river, watching the batch of baby geese. After that, I knew I had to go back and check. I'll use this post for the pics I took a couple weeks ago, then I'll make a second post of some of the pictures I took last night. I've cropped some of them. Please enjoy!

next post please

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:37 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate