Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
 Woolwich, ME - 2013 & 2014 Osprey Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 24 2013 @ 03:07 PM EDT (Read 4998 times)  
JudyB

2014 Woolwich, ME live Cam

April 19, 2014 1:30 am - Checked out the cam link early this morning and it is live!
April 22 update - the cable from the cam was cut during work on site; a new one is on order, and they're hoping the cam will be back online by the end of the week or early next week.

2013 Season

The Taste of Maine Osprey Cam is online - and they have two eggs - details soon!

2013 Nesting Season

• Adults Back: reported by Taste of Maine on April 4
  • Cam On: April 17
  • Eggs Laid: on or before April 17; April 20 or 21; April 24
  • Hatched: May 27 (40 days); May 28 (38 days); probably May 29 (35 days) - seen
    May 30
  • Cam Failed: June 29
  • Fledged: First on July 22, all by August 1
  • Sad News: One of the chicks died July 23-24; her body was on the nest with a wing hanging over the side, suggesting she may have missjudged a landing and broken her neck
  • Last Seen: without a cam it's hard to be sure, but it appears that Mom and possibly the smaller (male?) chick left around July 29-August 1, and Dad and the remaining larger chick left around August 17-23

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 24 2013 @ 03:08 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 24 2013 @ 03:08 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 24 2013 @ 03:11 PM EDT  
JudyB

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The cam has been offline for a couple of days - and now is back!

I think this is Mom on the nest - they have two eggs, according to the folks at the Taste of Maine Restaurant.

Click on image to download

As you may remember, the beautiful sunlight makes it hard to see things like eggs that are meant to blend in - I can clearly see one egg, but am not sure I'm seeing the second.

And I got a good look at both eggs as Mom settled in to incubate - but wasn't quite fast enough to get a good s'cap.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM EDT  
JudyB

4:15 pm
Well, now I'm wondering - I can see two white speckled eggs here - but the first egg was reddish - and I think I'm seeing a third reddish egg off to the right - so we might have three eggs!

Adding a second version of the same s'cap, with a bit of tweaking on brightness, contrast, etc:

The cam has been down quite a bit, which makes it hard to know when eggs were laid. I know there was one egg on the nest on April 17 when the cam first came online - here's my view of the egg from April 17:

And I had lunch at the Taste of Maine on Sunday the 21st while the cam was down, and didn't get to see the eggs on the monitor in the lobby, but the person who seated me said there were two eggs. Which means that a third egg might have been laid today! (or any time after the 21st, actually, though there's been no mention of a third egg on the Taste of Maine facebook page).

What do you think?

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, April 27 2013 @ 12:15 PM EDT  
JudyB

Saturday, April 27, 2013

The folks at Taste of Maine confirmed that there are three eggs, and I got a couple of pictures this morning that show them a little better. These are enhanced a bit to make the eggs easier to see. Both adults were on the nest just before the first s'cap - not sure who is who, but it looked as if one was going on break while the other took over.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 09:38 AM EDT  
JudyB

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I've been watching for a while this morning, and all is going well - I've seen all three eggs, and there have been a could of exchanges, including one where I think the male brought a fish, which the female promptly claimed and took off to eat, while the male took over incubation.

We don't know for sure when the first egg was laid, but it was on or before April 17 - and can't be too much earlier because the third egg was laid on April 24 and there's rarely more than 3 or 4 days between eggs - so, if it was laid on April 17, today is Day 35 for that first egg - and we are on hatch watch!

Even enhanced a bit, it's not easy to see what's happening here - but both adults are on the nest in the s'cap. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, May 25 2013 @ 05:31 PM EDT  
JudyB

May 25, 2013

5:20 pm
Cam is on! Taste of Maine just posted on their facebook page.

I can see an adult's white head, but hard to tell what else is there. There might be a half-shell - but I remember there were some light-colored sticks or something so it's hard to tell.

enhanced:

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:17 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate