Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Welcome - and Helpful Hints!
 How to Post News Stories
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 06:25 PM EDT (Read 18001 times)  
JudyB

When you visit the home page for the Hancock Wildlife Foundation website - www.hancockwildlife.org - you may have noticed that there are usually a few news stories featured. And you may have noted that most of them are posted by the same few people. We'd love to get more folks involved - and it's easy!

There are two basic types of stories featured there -

1) articles about eagles and/or other wildlife or wildlife-related issues from other sources (example 1, example 2)

2) stories written by the person posting about what's happening on our cams or about something that's happening locally that relates to our basic mission of education, research and conservation (example 1, example 2)

They seem similar as you read them - but are quite different procedurally, so even though there are steps in common, I'm going to do the instructions separately.

I'll mention this in a bit more detail later - but a primary consideration is to be careful not to violate copyright laws; unless you have express permission from the copyright owner, you cannot post someone else's story here. You can post a brief summary or post a couple of lines and a link to the original - but posting more than that can get us in serious trouble.

Added -

A technical update for those using Internet Explorer 10 -

It appears that the website's story posting software doesn't work with Internet Explorer 10 - but there is a simple solution, which is to use IE10's Compatibility Mode. To switch to compatibility mode, click the "broken piece of paper" icon on the right side of the navigation window where the page's URL appears; on my computer it changes to bright blue to show that I'm using Compatibility Mode.

Click on image to download

You may need to be on the HWF website before you see the option - I'm not sure if it's visible on pages designed for IE10.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 06:26 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 06:26 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 07:02 PM EDT  
JudyB

How to Post Articles from Other Sources - Part 1

Once you've found an interesting story, you can post it on the website by choosing "Submit News Item" under the Donate link at the top of every page:

Copy the title of the story and put it in the box labeled Title

The topic defaults to Wildlife News, and that's usually the best choice.

Copy the credit line and first couple of sentences of the article, and paste them in the Introduction window - here's what the original article looked like:

Many articles will automatically add a link to the original story (this one did) - if not, add "Read more - " and the URL of the story.

Don't put anything in the "Body" box for this type of story, Here's what the form looks like with everything entered (clicks big enough to read):

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 07:33 PM EDT  
JudyB

How to Post Articles from Other Sources - Part 2

Click the Preview button at the bottom of the entry screen to see what your story will look like when published; you can scroll down and make changes if the spacing is off or something else seems awkward. I reduced the size of the font for the line with the author of the story from "medium" to "small" and took out some spaces between paragraphs. Click Preview again to see your changes:

There are some things that are not easy to change unless you know HTML - for instance the white background around the link box. If you're comfortable with HTML, you can use the "Source" button in the tool bar to see the code behind the story -

but I've sometimes gotten into trouble toggling between the two, so I'd recommend leaving it as it is.

When you're done with the story, click the Submit button at the bottom (which doesn't appear until after the first time you've clicked Preview):

Finally, because anyone can post a story - even those few spammers who slip through our anti-spam filters - initially you'll need to alert the admins that you've added a story so we can post it for you. The easiest way to do that is to send an email to forumadmin at hancockwildlife dot org (substituting the usual punctuation for emails).

Once you've let us know you're interested in doing this, we'll be happy to give you the permissions to post your own stories - and I'll be adding the additional steps involved a bit further down. note to self - add link to Story Editor post once it's written!

Admin Note:
Before posting the story, I did the following (some of which require advanced permissions, and all of which are easier with more tools):

1) Removed the email link from the author's name

2) Removed the background color from the link block

3) Removed the twitter/facebook part of the link

4) Changed the name of the author of the post from my JudyB5 "regular member" test person to MaryF, who provided the links to the story

5) Changed the name of the story from the default random number the software assigns to FirstBaldEagleBornInPittsburgh

Here's the link to the final story as published - article.php/FirstBaldEagleBornInPittsburgh

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 08:33 PM EDT  
JudyB

How to Post a Story You've Written - Part 1

~coming soon~

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 08:34 PM EDT  
JudyB

How to Post a Story You've Written - Part 2

~coming soon~

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 08:34 PM EDT  
JudyB

How to Post a Story You've Written - Part 3

Reserved in case it's needed

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 03:31 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate