Forum Index > H.W.F. Community Information > H.W.F. Social Events
 FledgeFest 2010 Monday July 5th
 |  Printable Version
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, April 23 2010 @ 08:27 PM EDT (Read 17060 times)  

It's official! Assuming the eagles cooperate and rear a healthy chick to fledging, David has declared

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Monday July 5, 2010~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

to be the date for this year's Annual FledgeFest Celebration. What began as an impromptu get together at the Sidney nest site in 2007 to see what could be seen of Skye has become an event many of us look forward to all year.

So, as in year's past, this thread and this post will be The Organization Center as we sort out what we're doing.

The Festivites will take place near the Sidney Nest Site on Vancouver Island (but NOT on the Private Property) located near Victoria BC, Canada

If you will be able to join the fun please post your RSVP in this thread. Include your real first name (and last if you are comfortable doing so online) and the City/State/Province/Country you are from!

Everyone will get a customized name tag!

There are lots of people willing to offer rides and make car-pool arrangements. If you want to come and need help with sorting out accommodations we will gladly help you. Those who have made the trip before can tell you where they stayed.

When you RSVP I will put your name in This Post so that it is easier for everyone to keep track of who's coming. The sooner we know you are coming the better of course, and there will come a point where we will say, "We need your RSVP by _______ " But it won't likely be before about 2 weeks or so before the Big Day.

Times and Lunch plans and any extra activities like area nest tours will also be in this post as they are finalized, but will be discussed in the thread to try and give as many as possible the chance to weigh in.

We "officially" gather at the nest site at about 10:45-11:00AM but those living near the nest are often there earlier

Those of us on the Mainland generally come over on the 9AM ferry from Tsawwassen and get to the nest just after 10:30 ( this inculdes David and Mary and Karen)

Here is a bit of background about the Church where we rented the hall in 2009

Holy Trinity Anglican Church
1319 Mills Road
North Saanich, BC Canada
V8L 5T2

This Church overlooks Patricia Bay and the Saanich Inlet of the Salish Sea. Holy Trinity, consecrated in 1885 is the oldest church in North Saanich, one of several pioneer heritage churches in the Victoria, area still in active use.

The church does not have it's own website, but is featured on a 'waymarking' website because of it's historic significance:

Read more about this lovely, historic church

Here are a couple of maps to help people get a sense of where things are.

Click on image to download

Click on image to download

And a Goole Map:
Driving Directions Swartz Bay to the Sidney Nest

Watching this thread grow as people sort things out and decide they can join us has been great fun in the past and I look forward to the same sort of building excitement this year too. Let's get this party on the go everyone. wave

Information Update Wednesday June 23, 2010

Just a note to say I have confirmed the Anglican church hall for FledgeFest from 11AM - 5PM.

Just to be clear though, as there was some confusion last year. The Gathering Spot for the morning is the Nest Site. I booked the hall from 11AM to give time for set up and in the event the weather is SO bad as to pevent people wanting to be at the nest site.

The proper Street address for Victorian Epicure, the company that owns the property the nests are on, is 10555 West Saanich Rd. This will help you out if you are googling for directions. The nests are on the south part of the property and you will see the cars and people on the road. Trust me you can't miss us Rolling on floor laughing

Please do not try to enter the Victorian Epicure property under any circumstances. They do not participate in anyway in our activities and wish the privacy of their business and property to be 100% respected at all times.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you to bring binoculars if you own them.

We will be ordering lunch from Safeway as we did last year. I am waiting on a few final confirmations before placing the order and getting final costs. Last year I was more 'generous' than I should have been with those who in the end decided not to have the meal. The reality is I am ordering based on the number of attendees we are anticipating.and I will divide the cost by that number of people, So, please be prepared to pay for the meal whether you are going to eat or not.

At the moment due to fewer attendess the cost/person for the hall rental is going to be more than the $5.00 we asked for last year. Food costs I am hoping will be about the same as last year-- fewer people less food. But I can't know that for sure until I place the order late next week. I am hoping people will feel around $20.00/person for the day, will be reasonable. I may have to change it a bit by the last minute... but I want people to at least have a 'ballpark' figure to work from. Last year's costs were $17.00/person.

Thank you!

Attendees as of Sunday June 27, 2010

"EagleDude" ~ John ~ Campbell River, BC
"Vickrb" ~ Vicki ~ Cayman Islands
"jammy" ~ Barb ~ Cobble Hill, BC
"Leslie King" ~ Leslie ~ Vancouver Island
"Arbour Heart" ~ Cheryl ~ Vancouver Island
"4Voyage" ~ Mel ~ Pantego, Texas
"Gabbymarie" ~ Gabby ~ Germany
"Mr. Gabbymarie" ~ Germany
"SassyK" ~ Kay ~ Victoria, BC
"Sunshinecoast" ~ Marg ~ Davis Bay, BC
"Mr. sunshinecoast" ~ Earl ~ Davis Bay, BC
"urban Eagle" ~ Larry ~ Port Moody, BC
"terrytvgal" ~ Terry ~ Coquitlam, BC
"Mr. terrytvgal" ~ Alan ~ Coquitlam, BC
"gemini" ~ Sharon ~ North Vancouver, BC
"Elaine2" ~ Elaine ~ Sidney, BC
"Daybreak" ~ Dawn ~ Mission, BC
Malibou ~ Shirley ~ Victoria BC
"PacNorWest" ~ Doug ~ Bellingham,Washington
"Karen6438" ~ Karen W. ~ BC
"Harrymilt" ~ Harry ~ Victoria, BC
"Blah,blah...Blacksheep" ~ Margaret ~ Victoria, BC
"Karenbills"~ Karen~ Langley, BC
"David Hancock" ~ David!~ Surrey, BC
"Whales1" ~ Laurie ~ Kirkland, Washington
Edkeagle ~ Ed~ Washington
Mrs. edkeagle~ Pat ~ Washington

Still unable to confirm 100%

Marg Whal
Ken cillis

For those of you who are in the local area or arriving before FF,
A few people are planning to meet for dinner on Friday July2nd @ 6:30PM at the Charles Dickens Pub near the Travelodge. Mel, Larry and Dawn will welcome all comers!

Charles Dickens Pub & Catering
2250 Beacon Avenue
Sidney, BC V8L1X1
(250) 656-1176

Cost UPDATE: Food costs are more than I estimated and attendes are fewer than I hoped for. To break even on the day, after consulting with Karen, we will be asking $22/person. That is $7/person for the hall and $15/person for food costs.
I am sorry for the late change but I wanted to give every possible person the chance to be at FF- for some it simply wasn't meant to be.

My Appologies,

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM
By: EagleDude (offline) on Saturday, April 24 2010 @ 03:15 AM EDT  

Yahoo! Count me in Terry! It's my annual mini-vacation! Smile

I hope we get a nice large number again! Last year was great fun and educational!

Profile Email   PM
By: vickrb (offline) on Saturday, April 24 2010 @ 06:58 PM EDT  

Hello, this is fabulous news.

You can count me in too Terry!!!!! I will be ready for a vacation by then.

Vicki - since 30 April 2009

God Gives every bird it's food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

Profile Email   PM
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 05:28 PM EDT  

This RSVP is on behalf of 'jammy' who is having trouble accessing the forums. I'm going to see that her forum problems are solved so that she can join us here for the fun.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 05:43 PM EDT  

Leslie King, lurker, and I hope soon a poster! has RSVP'd for this year's FF!!

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM
By: Anonymous: ArbourHeart () on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 09:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous: ArbourHeart

Hi Terry,
I look forward to joining the festivities this year.

By: Anonymous: 4voyage () on Friday, May 07 2010 @ 01:17 PM EDT  
Anonymous: 4voyage

This is my first post on this site. I normaly use the cbc screech hollow site but I wanted to get here so I could tell you that I will be there for Fledge Fest.
Please keep me informed as to planned activities associated with the fest.

By: Anonymous: Gabymarie () on Monday, May 10 2010 @ 11:42 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Gabymarie

I am Gaby from Germany. I am watching the eagle nest since weeks. My husband and I will be on a roundtrip and we will arrive on 5th of July from Port Angles to Victoria.
Elle (thank you) told me about the Fledge Fest and it would be great if we could see Solo flying for the first time.

Have a great day!

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:24 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Please Donate

Please Donate!