Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > The Chehalis Flats Preserve Discussion
 Trips to Chehalis Flats & Harrison River Region.
 |  Printable Version
By: gemini (offline) on Friday, April 05 2013 @ 05:34 PM EDT (Read 2415 times)  
gemini

Chehalis Flats and Harrison River Region Trip Description and Images

We invite people to post trip descriptions and any great images to the Chehalis Flats and Harrison River Region in this thread.

Please post questions and any discussion about the region in The Chehalis Flats Preserve Discussion Thread.

This forum is for public participation. We would also provide on this site the opportunity to create more "Sub-Threads" for more specific questions etc. related to the Chehalis Flats -- Harrison River area.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, October 21 2013 @ 08:39 PM EDT  
karenbills

Yesterday a group of nine of us trekked out from Eagle Pt. Community Park to the Chehalis Flats Tower a mile away over the sand bars, water channels and deep mud. The purpose was to reinstall the Hancock Wildlife Foundation cameras on the tower we erected for that purpose back in 2009.

I am happy to say that I did not fall in the river this year but, just in case, Lynda loaned me her waterproof camera to take with me this time. There were a couple of times I thought would fall down in the deep mud. I am still trying to get my boots cleaned today. They were only waterproof to my ankles so I learned not to wear them out there in the future.

All pictures are twice clickable to view them full screen size.

Heading out to the tower from Eagle Point Community Park
Click on image to download

This is the view looking back at Eagle Point.

Here's Chris, Gillian (visiting from Toronto) and Christian heading out to the tower.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, October 21 2013 @ 08:43 PM EDT  
karenbills

Larry, Kelvin and Percy were part of the crew that lugged the extremely heavy fuel cell and the four containers of methanol out to the tower. They had to make two trips across the mud and water, which was deeper in some areas than others. Poor guys got so hot from all the exertion. It was far from a hot day out there but they really worked up a sweat.

Here's a look at the mud but you'd have to try to walk in it to see what I mean.

One of the two fire pits out by the tower that were built years ago by the Natives.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, October 21 2013 @ 08:48 PM EDT  
karenbills

Here's David videoing the event.

Larry atop the tower.

David looking down at us.

So that's the extent of my pics. I know that Christian, Gillian and I think Larry also took pictures so hope they will also post their pictures here.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: Christian (offline) on Monday, October 21 2013 @ 10:27 PM EDT  
Christian

At 10am I joined David Hancock and his team (Karen, Ken, Calvin, Percy and Larry) who volunteered to install the two cameras on the Chehalis Flats. Gillian, an eagle lover from Toronto, also joined.
The cameras are marvelous because it gives everyone the opportunity to closely watch hundreds of eagles live via Internet in a non-intrusive way, all at no cost to the viewer. However to be able to do this takes a lot of effort.

Although the flats are now dry, one has to walk through deep mud which is hard work, especially to keep ones balance. It was necessary to transport the fuel with a wheelbarrow due to the weight of the methanol and the poor guys had to go twice to fetch the rest of the fuel. The installation took most of the day. Of course it is tremendously beautiful out there, and we had a lot of fun. This marvelous eagle paradise is one of the few that exist and it is so important to respect the eagles for the weeks they reside on the Chehalis flats.

Christian
In my dreams I am an Eagle
Please note that my images may be used for promotion of eagle preservation and non-profit purposes only - feel free to use the high resolution images and kindly acknowledge me. Thank you.

Forum

White Rock, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Christian (offline) on Monday, October 21 2013 @ 10:51 PM EDT  
Christian

Here some of the wonderful eagles on the Flats with us

Christian
In my dreams I am an Eagle
Please note that my images may be used for promotion of eagle preservation and non-profit purposes only - feel free to use the high resolution images and kindly acknowledge me. Thank you.

Forum

White Rock, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, October 21 2013 @ 11:03 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Karen & Christian, Thank you for the wonderful photos of your tough day.

Karen, the firepit is fascinating; glad you took a pic. of it. Also, glad you didn't repeat
your spill like last year.

Christian, I especially love that juvie...so pretty and great "pose".

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: urban Eagle (offline) on Tuesday, October 22 2013 @ 04:03 PM EDT  
urban Eagle

I was a little to busy to take very many pix but got a few
LSitting eagle

May the Sun be at your back,and an Eagle in front of your lens.
Forum

Port Moody

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 06:46 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate