Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Eagles - General Information, Q & A's and in the News
 Eagles - Questions and Answers
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Saturday, March 20 2010 @ 04:08 PM EDT  
MaryF

Clapping Great site, Pat! Thanks for posting it. Now I need to find the time to go through it!!:blink:

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: melanie () on Saturday, March 20 2010 @ 05:08 PM EDT  
Anonymous: melanie

How long can the eggs survive with no one sitting on them? Maybe 60 degree weather.

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 02:05 PM EDT  
jkr

I wish I had the answer to that Melanie. Yesterday the eggs at Sidney were exposed for 28 minutes. Possibly the grass in the nest absorbs enough heat from the adult and the sunshine to keep them warm for a time.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 02:59 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks for finding that great site, PEB! No wonder people keep coming up with eagles I've never heard of! Grin

Melanie, I don't know the limits - but I do know a few years back on one of the Maine nests, the eggs were left unattended for almost 2-1/2 hours with the temperature in the area averaging 40F/4C and at least one of them hatched successfully. (The second egg may also have hatched - but there was a huge storm the day we think it hatched, and sadly both chicks were lost.) The cam didn't look down into the nest bowl, so we don't know if the eggs were covered with straw, though there's some circumstantial evidence to suggest they were. I'm not sure how much that helps insulate them, but it will make it harder for predators to spot them.

I would think the eggs could be left unexposed for quite a while in 60 degree weather - though I wouldn't want to place a guess as to exactly how long. Definitely more than 2-1/2 hours.

For the record, it was about 3 weeks after the eggs were laid that the incident occurred, so they were a bit over halfway through their incubation period. It does seem that many eagles take time away from the first egg while waiting to lay the second - though some start incubating full-time immediately.

I was watching the Libby Dam nest on Friday, and the egg was left untended for about 2 hours. It was laid the previous day, and the parents had left it untended for brief intervals throughout the first day or so. I think it will be fine - but we won't know for sure for about 5 weeks.

It is quite amazing the range of behaviors we're observing!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: greyowl () on Tuesday, March 30 2010 @ 11:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous: greyowl

I live in the Fraser Valley and I have noticed a large number of eagles (30-50) roosting in trees in a farming area. The eagles are there in great numbers in the morning and in lesser numbers in the afternoon. I suspect that they're being fed by a chicken farmer. This has been going on for several years. I know that eagles are opportunistic scavengers, but is it o.k. to feed them dead or diseased chickens? What about the presence of antibiotics and other non-natural substances? Is it legal for farmers to dispose of chicken carcasses in this manner? While I enjoy seeing these majestic birds in such prolific numbers, I'm not entirely convinced that they're actually thriving. Surely, they're not wild any more.
P.S. This is my first post, so be kind!

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, March 30 2010 @ 11:47 PM EDT  
JudyB

Hi greyowl - and welcome to the forum! Welcome

I have some uninformed thoughts about folks who toss out contaminated food for predators to "dispose of" - but not the slightest idea to what extent scavengers can process such "gifts" so to speak. It's an interesting question, so I'll ask David Hancock if he has any comments or thoughts about who to ask.

Quote by: melanie

How long can the eggs survive with no one sitting on them? Maybe 60 degree weather.

I don't know actual limits, melanie, but I'd guess a couple of hours wouldn't be a problem. I know of eggs that were left for 2-1/2 hours at about 40 degrees and hatched.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Monday, December 06 2010 @ 07:44 PM EST  
soph9

short video and slide show of a stream near my house usually full of spawning salmon and eagles but not this year.Although there was record breaking amount of salmon and eagles elsewhere....not by my house!

Where are all the eagles and salmon?

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Sunday, December 19 2010 @ 10:00 PM EST  
soph9

Happy to report our eagles are back near my house....23 I counted today and if you watch this video you will hear trilling and see eagles eating salmon and even clean it's beak!

EAGLES ARE BACK AND EATING SALMON

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:39 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate