Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Report Cams Down and Forum Errors
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, January 05 2010 @ 10:45 AM EST (Read 280273 times)  
jkr

The purpose of this topic is to make an announcement when a cam has gone down, when a cam has gone up again, and when you get a Forum error.

Procedure if one of our cams is down.

First, please add a post at the end of this thread, saying which cam (or cams) are down, and what time they went down (or you found them down).

If the cam that's down is one of the Sidney or Delta cams, and you have time - please check the other Sidney or Delta cam. If only one of them is down, we can rule out a power outage at the site.

Please note that Ken is not available between 10 pm and 7 am pacific time - so if you post at 4 am, you may not get a reply until near 7 am. (7 am pacific is 10 am eastern - and I can't promise I'll be able to make a call until I get to the office and see what the day has in store.)

If it's between 7 am and 10 pm and you don't see a post in 5-10 minutes from someone saying they're contacting Ken, and any of the folks who have volunteered to call Ken are online - please send one of them a PM to let them know there's a problem. Some of us may be available, but might not think to check the Cams Down thread. But please do remember that people can be online and not able to make a phone call.

People Who Have Offered to Call Ken

The following people have agreed to contact Ken if they discover (or are notified) that one of the Hancock cams are down:

JudyB
jkr

If a cam is down and you see one of us online, please send a PM so we'll know to check the "Cams Down" thread - keeping in mind that we may not actually be able to do anything even if we are online.

Procedure for Calling Ken

1) If you're not in BC, check to make sure it's between7 am and 10 pm in BC

2) check to make sure the cam in question is still down. Check both HWF and WildEarth websites for cams.

3) if you have time, check all the other cams; if an unrelated cam is down, that saves a later phone call and Ken can reboot them both at once.

4) post here that you're calling Ken; refresh your browser after you post to make sure no one else posted just before you

5) call Ken (details will be provided)

6) post the result of your call so folks either know all is now well - or when Ken might be able to look into the problem

To Check for Power Outages in the BC Area

http://www.bchydro.com/outages/orsMapView.jsp
http://www.bchydro.com/outages/orsTableView.jsp

Why Some people Can See the Cams When They Appear to be
Down

There are just two cams at Delta 2, the East cam and the West cam. Where it gets a bit confusing is that there are two ways to see them. The cams send a stream to our streaming partner WildEarth, and they convert that to a viewable format (which can be seen on computers, tablets and smart phones!), and give us a code (chunk of web language) to embed on our Live Cams pages - and that's how most of us watch the cams most of the time. They also have the code embedded on their website http://wildearth.tv/livecams, which is a place people can often watch the cams when our website is having issues. We call those the embedded cams, because they are embedded in a webpage.

We also have volunteer zoomers who have been given links that lets them access the cam directly and control what we see. They are able to see the cam to control it, and what they see is the stream before it goes to WildEarth for distribution - and sometimes there is a problem somewhere in the stream from the cam to WildEarth to the webpages with the cams embedded in them - so people cannot see that stream, but the zoomers can still see what the cam was seeing, and may take screenshots and videos of that, the same as they would from the embedded cams.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Monday, September 27 2010 @ 03:58 PM EDT  
richardpitt

HWF would love to not have any ads on any of our facilities but that is not economically feasible given the level of donations we've received to date.

The advertising you see other than that which is obviously either for HWF directly or for our major funder, Hancock House, are not directly under our control. They are generated by Google's adwords software.

I have selected as benign a set of basic advertising categories as I can, and this directly affects the amount we earn from the ads (currently less than about $100/month, which does not even cover the cost of the web site hosting)

If I am given the URL of the advertiser, I can put it into a block list which takes as much as 48 hours to take effect.

edited to add - we're always looking for volunteers - including someone to look after the advertising setup.

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Tuesday, October 12 2010 @ 12:26 PM EDT  
richardpitt

Re: Delta cameras - there was a power outage there - trying to get someone with the keys to the facility to check the computers as the person we normally contact is off on holiday.

Re: Lafarge - the camera/radio has been power cycled, came on for a short time, then went back off. This appears to be a radio link problem and has been handed off to Lafarge's network people.

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Wednesday, October 13 2010 @ 07:53 PM EDT  
richardpitt

Lafarge may be down for a while - there is a technical problem with the radio on the sand tower - and we can't work on their site, their own (certified) contractors must do it.

O.W.L. is still down because they can't find the key to the area where the computers are - the person on vacation has it or knows where it is - back some time this coming weekend it seems.

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Friday, October 15 2010 @ 11:01 PM EDT  
richardpitt

Quote by: terrytvgal

Just wondering if there is anything that can be done to reduce the volume of the noise of the wind at DeltaOWL. It is Very Loud and distracting even when I have my speaker volume set very low.

the microphone should have had a "wind sock" on it - but does not seem to have one. Either that or when David placed it, he somehow ended up with it in exactly the right spot to pick up some wind. I know he likes to put the mics in the nest.

There is nothing on the computer that would allow us to do any "parametric equalization" on this microphone. The problem must be cured at the microphone.

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Monday, October 18 2010 @ 08:33 PM EDT  
richardpitt

Hi Laura

Thanks very much for your offer. We have to do some admin stuff in the background to get things ready. This opens up a whole new dimension to what we're doing on Facebook, and since we're also adding several more camera sites, it will compound things quite a bit. Having a page for each camera site will be a good thing - but we need to define what these pages are there for and set up a discussion area here in the forum for people like yourself and others to both learn what is necessary and expected, and to feed back to us and others doing the same task about what you're doing and how things are going, without putting all this out in public. The group will be in our admin area and volunteers will be given access to it along with a general volunteer area that already exists.

If you don't hear from someone (myself, JudyB, or one of the other admins) in the next couple of days, please rattle our perches and remind us Smile

I"m out tomorrow doing the initial hookup of the new Port Moody eagle nest cameras for example, and Ken is working on the Delta2 cameras - so we're not just sitting around Wink

These sites will need FB pages as well, so if there are others "out there" who are interested in running one or more pages - or just helping from time to time - please let us know.

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, October 19 2010 @ 10:12 AM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Richard!

And please do let us know if you have thoughts or suggestions about Facebook - and especially if you're willing to help! We'll probably be having some of the discussion in a more private setting - and are happy to include anyone who is interested - just let me or Richard know!

And getting back to problems with cams, both Delta OWL links are streaming the closeup cam - not sure why, but I've sent an email to Richard to see if he can sort it out.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Friday, October 22 2010 @ 11:57 AM EDT  
richardpitt

With the forced change from use of Zaplive.TV's facilities to creation and installation of their own, WildEarth.TV has not yet instituted any archive facilities.

For new sites such as the White Rock and Port Moody PMC sites, HWF has local archive machines (at the sites) that are able to capture hi-resolution archives without ads, but which are not directly available for things like replays, reviews online, etc.

You've brought up an interesting question and I'll answer it in an article - I'll write it now and post it to the home page - watch for it.

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:47 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate