Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Mitigation for Shoreline Nest, Sechelt BC
 |  Printable Version
By: Marg (offline) on Saturday, January 05 2013 @ 11:03 PM EST (Read 2005 times)  
Marg

By sunshinecoast.

SHORELINE NEST SECHELT, BC.

The Shoreline nest was found by Sandra/stim and her hubby David August 1, 2011.

When David Hancock and the rest of the HWF members came to Sechelt in 2012 for a tour of our nests this was one of the nests they viewed.

By: sunshinecoast on Wednesday, February 20 2013 @ 01:45 PM PST
On February 20, 2013 when Mr. SC and I were driving to West Sechelt to visit friends this is what we saw:

It's with a sad heart that I have to report that an eagle's nest tree has been topped, the nest tree was located adjacent to a house on Highway 101 in West Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast. Cry The nest tree was there before the owner had the house built. This was a nest that we had been following for the past 2 years that Sandra/stim and her hubby discovered. It was sad to see one of the eagles circling the area looking for the nest tree. Cry We have reported this to David Hancock and Karen and we also went to the District of Sechelt and complained. We are still dealing with this and I will post more details when available. This nest tree was shown to the HWF group who visited us in the summer; there were 2 eaglets 2011 and 2012.

Topped eagles' nest tree
Click on image to download

Sandra/stim's pic of the tree before it was topped 2012

Shoreline eagle flying over the area

Marg. Aug22/06

By: stim on Wednesday, February 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM PST
What a truly sad finding Marg. I am sorry you and Earl had to see this, especially with adult circling above. I will be lodging a complaint to The District as well. This nest had the promise of being viable again this year. I just hope our pair can rebuild enough by laying time to have a safe nest to deposit their eggs into! By the way, the nest was there before the house.

sunshinecoast on Wednesday,February 20 2013 @ 2:06 PM PST
Sandra you and David complain please as they've only had a couple of complaints before we went in today but it seems that some of the staff there knew about it.

Marg

By: IrishEyes on Wednesday, February 20 2013
OH! NO! Marg and Earl i am deeply saddened to hear this...Cry i am so sorry that you had to witness this.. it is so sad to see the eagle circling around.. this is all so heart breaking for all who followed this nest.. Marg, Earl and Stim that i know for sure... Big hugs

By: Pat B on Wednesday, February 20 2013
How awful for you to have to find that!
Who on earth could do such a thing - especially at this time of year!!
I'm in tears with you - please raise stink about this!
Is your nest safe?

By: sunshinecoast on Wednesday, February 20 2013
Bev, this nest was called THE SHORELINE NEST it isn't the one we watch through our telescope and visit.

JudyB on Wednesday, February 20 2013
Such sad news. hug

By: nightowl on Wednesday, Feb 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM PST
That's just awful Marg. Cry Why would someone do such a despicable thing? That eagle circling around just brings tears to my eyes...I can't imagine what it's thinking about it's missing nest. That's just sad beyond words.
Wish I could do something. Big hugs
Yes, someone's head should be on the chopping block over this!

By: Pat B on Wednesday, February 20 2013
Will this help ?
http://www.district.sechelt.bc.ca/ContactUs.aspx

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: Marg (offline) on Monday, October 14 2013 @ 10:17 AM EDT  
Marg

By: deewerms on Wednesday, February 20 2013
Marg, i am so sorry to read this has happened, how inhumane can some people be, it really takes a cold and heartless person i think to look up and see these eagles soaring around above looking down at their home being attacked and destroyed. Cry sad i hope something happens to the person who did this Doreen Salem,

By: Woodlands Bleu on Wednesday, February 20 2013
Marg, I am absolutely livid and helpless reading this story. These folks and you can be reasonably certain whom they are had no right of any kind to do that. Maybe, hopefully, wishfully, a new nest can be started for these eagles by neighbors as in the other case where something like this happened (took down the tree). I just don't understand why people can be so uncaring! carolyn

By: txelements on Wednesday, February 20 2013 I can't even begin to imagine how the landowners decided to destroy an established eagle nest. Too cold. Sounds along the lines of premeditated murder, to me. Sad, Naoma

By: Debs on Wednesday, February 20 2013
Marg, Earl, Stim, Friends Red Heart of the nest that was destroyed hugs to you all, Big hugs The timing could not have been worse....my heart breaks for the eagle family Wub who lost their nest. One thing about eagles they are will adapt, recover and start rebuilding and we wish them all the best. Please keep us posted on their progress!! The individuals responsible for the "topper" aka deliberate nest removal should be charged to the full extent of the law...Frustration

By: sassyk on Wednesday, February 20 2013
Marg & Sandra this is very sad news for you and the eagles Sad I hope they will be able to build a new nest before the female is ready to lay eggs. Chances are the pair have probably started mating already and there's not much time, maybe 2 weeks, before most of our west coast eagles start laying their eggs. The picture of the eagle circling around brought tears to my eyes Cry I hope one of you will be able to speak with someone at the District of Sechelt and try to find out who 'topped' the tree and why. If it was the owners of the house who did it just to get rid of the eagles they should certainly be reprimanded and slapped with a hefty fine. There is the chance that the nest was unstable and fell down, therefore giving the owners the opportunity to top the tree so the eagles wouldn't re-build Puzzled

By: EagleDude on Thursday, February 21 2013
Oh Marg, what a shame! :dunno: It is a great shame and reminds me of the tree over here that had a large eagle's nest in it and the entire tree was levelled without any repercussions to date! Those adult eagles also flew over their tree looking for the nest and/or the tree! It's no wonder these idiots can do these kinds of horrible things when there is NOthing to stop them! Government agencies seem to turn a blind eye! OR don't care! Disgusting! Sad

By: AnniesKatz on Thursday, February 21 2013
Oh Marg, this is just heartbreaking. To see the eagle looking for h/h home just hurts the heart. sad...no warning, just too sad for words. I am so sorry for all who followed these eagles Cry Annie

By: sunshinecoast on Thursday, February 21 2013

by: sassyk Marg & Sandra this is very sad news for you and the eagles Sad I hope they will be able to build a new nest before the female is ready to lay eggs. Chances are the pair have probably started mating already and there's not much time, maybe 2 weeks, before most of our west coast eagles start laying their eggs. The picture of the eagle circling around brought tears to my eyes :cry1: I hope one of you will be able to speak with someone at the District of Sechelt and try to find out who 'topped' the tree and why. If it was the owners of the house who did it just to get rid of the eagles they should certainly be reprimanded and slapped with a hefty fine. There is the chance that the nest was unstable and fell down, therefore giving the owners the opportunity to top the tree so the eagles wouldn't re-build Puzzled

No Kay, that wasn't the case the nest was very stable. We are in charge and have been to the District of Sechelt offices and spoken to the appropriate person RParfitt@sechelt.ca and David H has informed others in the government. Please lodge a complaint about this. http://www.district.sechelt.bc.ca/ContactUs.aspx Ph: 604-885-1986 Ray Parfitt Director of Development Services RParfitt@sechelt.ca Murray Smith
Conservation Officer
Here is Sechelt's Bylaw (I listed it in a previous post): http://www.district.sechelt.bc.ca/Porta ... ection.pdf Thank you everyone for your concern. Will keep everyone updated.
Update: we received a message that Ray Parfitt had left a voicemail for the Conservation Officer who is away until Feb. 25th. Marg

Content Provider

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: Marg (offline) on Friday, February 21 2014 @ 10:39 AM EST  
Marg

By: anna-holland on Thursday, February 21 2013
SmileHi, Marg....so sorry to read about the nest, why should somebody do that?! I sure hope they don`t come away with it, for everything is a solution. Greets Anna

By: sunshinecoast on Thursday, February 21 2013
Hi Anna, nice to see you. No, we won't let them get away with it! Thank you for coming by. hug Marg

By: sassyk on Thursday, February 21 2013
Marg, I used the link in your post for Ray Parfitt's email. I sent an email and a few minutes later it came back. I clicked on your link for the District of Sechelt and sent them the email. I said perhaps the local media should be involved!! I received a reply from Connie Jordison thanking me for my email. She said the District is aware of the incident and their Parks Superintendent will be investigating. She also said I might want to consider reporting the incident to the Province's Conservation Officer service and gave me the phone number. I know you will keep us posted on what transpires and what David has to say about it.
PS: I saw on the Sechelt internet site that Ray Parfitt's email address is RParfitt@sechelt.ca.

By: sunshinecoast on Friday, February 22 2013

by: sassyk Marg, I used the link in your post for Ray Parfitt's email. I sent an email and a few minutes later it came back. I clicked on your link for the District of Sechelt and sent them the email. I said perhaps the local media should be involved!! I received a reply from Connie Jordison thanking me for my email. She said the District is aware of the incident and their Parks Superintendent will be investigating. She also said I might want to consider reporting the incident to the Province's Conservation Officer service and gave me the phone number. I know you will keep us posted on what transpires and what David has to say about it. PS: I saw on the Sechelt internet site that Ray Parfitt's email address is RParfitt@sechelt.ca.

Thank you Kay for pointing that out. I apologize for posting the wrong email address I was upset, I have edited my post. I had emailed Ray Parfitt and did have the correct email address. RParfitt@sechelt.ca In his reply he informed me that our (Sunshine Coast) Conservation Officer, Murray Smith, is away until February 25th and he had left a voicemail message for him. Yes, I've phoned the BC Government's Call Centre for complaints the phone number is 1-877-952-7277. Yes, we will involve the media. Marg

By: stim on Friday, February 22 2013
wave I appreciate the level of support we have received over the felling of this nest and know Marg does as well. hug I bravely visited the site yesterday hoping to see adults flying into a nearby tree with twigs but did not see any adults around. Cry There were a number of juvies flying amongst the trees in the subdivision and the nauseating base of the topped tree nakedly apparent without its branches. From there I headed to the town offices to express my disgust that this has happened, was advised to call the Conservation Officer at 1-877-952-7277. I have done that, as well as sending emails to Ray Parfitt with the District of Sechelt and a well known local birder who has a column in a local paper. Marg has let a local birding group know this has occurred as well. I will be following up with an official Bylaw Enforcement Complaint. Big hugs The nest is gone, we can only hope our adults have enough time to build a nest sturdy enough to protect the eggs and especially to withstand the abuse the juvies inflict getting ready to fledge. sad

By: sunshinecoast on Saturday, February 23 2013
Update on Eagles' Nest Tree topped. A PERMIT WAS ISSUED!! We are sending a reply to Ryan Cloutier with a lot of questions to be answered one of them will be what were the strict conditions? Yesterday, we received an email from Ryan Cloutier, M.Sc. Ecosystems Biologist Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations Suite 200 – 10428 153 Street, Surrey BC V3R 1E1 Tel: 604. 586. 5433 Ryan.Cloutier@gov.bc.ca

Here is part of what the email contained: "Hi Margaret and Earl, I am the biologist from the Ecosystems Section within the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations (FLNRO) that was asked to review a request to remove a Douglas fir tree and eagle’s nest at Silverstone Lane, Sechelt. Reviewing this file (and others like it) is always difficult because of the potential outcomes. It is never our first choice or desire to sanction the loss of habitat, especially when such iconic wildlife like the bald eagle are involved. Then he went on to say that a Certified Arborist went to the site twice and determined that severe structural and root damage had led to evident decline in tree health. Signs of failing health, as noted by the certified arborist, included obvious damage to structural roots, branch dropping, dieback, thinning, conning, and poor foliage color. Given the failing health of the tree, its close proximity to the house, and the associated safety concerns to the residents and the property, it was the recommendation of the arborist that the tree be removed."

Content Provider

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: Marg (offline) on Friday, February 21 2014 @ 10:43 AM EST  
Marg

(When we looked at the tree it looked heathy to us. Note that the tree was not removed just topped and what is left is higher than the house. The cut is angled to shed water and some short branches were left - why if the home owner was worried about droppings? The owner bought the lot with the tree there and the house was built with that knowledge. The permit conditions stipulated that removal of the tree (and nest) could only proceed if the nest was vacant and not being used by eagles; otherwise, removal would have to be postponed until the nest was once again vacant. Further, a second condition set on the permit was that a mitigation plan for the removal of the tree and nest would have to be created by a qualified professional and submitted to the Ecosystems Section for approval in order to mitigate and offset potential impacts to the eagle population. We had seen an eagle there in October.

edited to add: My report on October 28, 2012 Good afternoon friends. at 1:50p.m. today October 28, 2012 we were driving by The Shoreline Nest and saw one adult in the tree.

"As previously mentioned, it is never our first choice or desire to sanction the loss of habitat, especially when such iconic wildlife like the bald eagle are involved. However, given the circumstances, our Ministry did permit the tree to be removed because of its compromised structural integrity, close proximity to the property owner’s house, and the associated safety concerns as noted by the arborist from CLT consulting. Strict conditions attached to the removal permit will be enforced and are designed to mitigate any potential impacts to the eagle population. I hope this information has helped to clarify the circumstance. Lastly, I thank you for your concern and diligence in following up on this issue. If you require more information please feel free to contact me. "

I will send further updates.

Marg

By: sassyk on Saturday, February 23 2013
Marg, glad to see you got a reply and an explanation. I would think if a certified arborist declared the tree unstable/unsafe, then the property owners had no choice but to cut it down, whether they liked the eagles or not. As sad as it is for the eagles, they can build another nest, but you couldn't replace your neighbour if the tree fell and killed or crippled him. If the owners had been told by a certified arborist that the tree needed to come down and they didn't take it down, and it fell on their house, or the neighbour's house, their insurance probably wouldn't cover the damages. It's a tough decision for everyone to make Sad I hope the eagles will have time to build another nest in the general area. There was a similar issue a few years ago with the nest tree at the Victoria Golf Course, which is right beside the club house and the parking lot. If some of the branches had broken off before they were removed, and fell on someone or on a vehicle, there would be lawsuits sigh sign

By: sunshinecoast on Saturday, February 23 2013
Sandra, thank you for your information. Losing this nest is very upsetting. Kay, we are going to get some more information on this matter. We have a Sunny day here and this morning looking out of our living room window we saw about 10 eagles circling in an updraft plus our two local eagles flying down to the ocean. Marg

By: lovethebabies on Saturday, February 23 2013
Sad to hear of the loss of this nest that we saw last summer but I sure wouldn't want anything to happen to the people living there either! Tough situation and I hope the eagles can quickly find another suitable nest! fingers crossedhug

Content Provider

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: Marg (offline) on Friday, February 21 2014 @ 10:47 AM EST  
Marg

By: stim on Monday, February 25 2013
It was during this time that I met up with a couple of local birders watching 5 kildeer in the adjacent field. My eagle eyes couldn't find them! Thanks to Marg connecting with their group and a member of their organization being very angered over the felling of our Shoreline nest they knew and expressed their concern over its brutal demise. Big hugs Onward to other nesting sites assured that our Kinnikinnick couple are present and active. Smile

By: stim on Monday, February 25 2013
Sadly, Shoreline was next on my tour. Cry Hanky The topped tree jumped out at me, no eagles seen at all. However, I did spy one at the top of the very large and obvious old fir tree by the Great Wall. It is across the highway and about half a block from our topped nesting tree. Upward I climbed again, into what could be part of the Shoreline territory or not. This proved to be one very windblown wet eagle, looking like a new adult to me. View of the many trees in the Shoreline territory is very good from up there but I could find no signs of a new nest being built. Sad

By: sunshinecoast on Monday, February 25 2013
Thank you Sandra for your collection of pictures you had a good outing.:hello: Lots of great shots. That tree near where the Shoreline nest used to be was one of their perch trees. Glad you saw an eagle there on Sunday. We've been told that in the past there was a nest in that area but not sure exactly where on that slope. Kinnikinnick nest tree. That area is a good place to view the eagles circling we've watched them there in the past. Sunday from our living room we watched a couple of eagles "twisting and turning and swooping down together" they put on quite a show for us. Later we saw several eagles in an updraft. Ma & Pa Stalashen have been in and around the nest an awful lot lately so we are watching to see if one of them is in the nest constantly. It's that time of year Smile Marg

By: stim on Thursday, February 28 2013
wave A trip into Sechelt today proved 7 eagle sightings! I didn't expect any with the beginning of our "pineapple express" rains starting when I departed without my camera. 1. Atop the Davis Bay tree in the front yard of a house there. 2. Atop one of the 2 perch trees entering Sechelt. 3. Driving along Dolphin to Shorncrest, an adult atop a tree at the top of the parking lot straight ahead there. 4. Atop a tree in the usual stand at Porpoise Bay!!! Clapping 5. Snuggled in a tree beside the nest tree at the marsh!!!Wooh 6. Atop the perch tree at 5230 on the highway. 7. 1 in the Stalashen nest tree. Clapping I drove up and along the streets being built up along the top of the Great Wall as well as past our Shoreline site. No eagles seen, no new nest found. Cry Hanky

By: stim on Saturday, March 02 2013
Marg and I are both thrilled to find an article about the nest felling in our local paper this weekend. Marg and Earl have been busy fact finding from the province and I was going to the paper this weekend by email as I had been advised was the best course of action, when we found the article. It puts the need for felling the nest before this breeding season on an arborist's report that deemed the tree high risk due to root damage. If that is the case, it could have been caused by the house build very close to the tree 2 years ago. However, neither of us have noticed any of the thinning, fading of the foliage that has been claimed in the report. None of our knowledgeable HWF friends who visited to view our nests as recently as last summer, including David H, expressed any concern over the condition of the tree. I know from meeting the owner who was having the house built that during the build he was disgruntled over the nest debris falling into the master bedroom under construction without windows. That nest was extremely close to his new house! We are not finished here as none of us are content with how this has all played out. If you wish to read the article the link to our local Coast Reporter is below.

By: sunshinecoast on Saturday, March 02 2013
UPDATE ON TOPPED EAGLES' NEST TREE IN SECHELT After emailing different people on the above subject we felt that we had gathered quite a lot of information. Mr. SC and I had written an article and after phoning CBC TV local news we were instructed to submit it to yournews@cbc.ca but have had no reply from them. Sandra, stim, had offered to go to the local paper, The Coast Reporter, and she emailed me to say that it had made the Friday edition! Congratulations Sandra.Clapping We will be responding to this article. The article is on page 14. As in Sandra's link above. This is Bylaw 484 District of Sechelt http://www.district.sechelt.bc.ca/Porta … ection.pdf Marg

By: sassyk on Saturday, March 02 2013
Marg, Mr. SC & Sandra it's good to know this incident is making the news, thanks to you Clapping Thanks for the email Marg :thumrht: If the property owners didn't like the eagles being so close to their house, it will be interesting to hear what their 'mitigation plan' will include. Maybe they should follow the example of the neighbours in Campbell River who got together and made a new nest for the eagles whose nest tree was chopped down. The eagles produced offspring in the new man-made nest Clapping

By: EagleDude on Saturday, March 02 2013
So good to see your efforts Marg, Earl and Stim. And very good luck on that. Our Eagle tree faller has not been dealt with to date by my knowledge but, even the mayor has been pushing for action! All we can do is wait, apparently! Puzzled

Content Provider

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

Marg

By: sunshinecoast on Saturday, March 02 2013
Hi Kay and John, thanks for responding to my email I feel drained.I'll soon be sleepy Good night Marg

By: stim on Sunday, March 03 2013
Quote by: sassyk Marg, Mr. SC & Sandra it's good to know this incident is making the news, thanks to you Clapping Thanks for the email Marg :thumrht: If the property owners didn't like the eagles being so close to their house, it will be interesting to hear what their 'mitigation plan' will include. Maybe they should follow the example of the neighbours in Campbell River who got together and made a new nest for the eagles whose nest tree was chopped down. The eagles produced offspring in the new man-made nest Clapping I've wondered about the status with that Campbell River nest. Great to hear Kay! Left thumb up John, it sounds like you are dealing with a similar situation. I hope something of benefit can happen for your eagles. Great to have the mayor onside! I fear our pair may lose this clutch one way or another, with nest not secure enough. Hope I'm wrong!

By: IrishEyes on Sunday, March 03 2013
Hi Marg, Mr.SC and Stim.. I applaud your efforts.. i know you must be exhausted.. I will be back to see the rest of your beautiful pictures you are posting Marg..Big hugs

By: sunshinecoast on Sunday, March 03 2013 @ 06:24 PM PST
Thank you Bev, I feel Cheers about today's outing.
Marg

By: sunshinecoast on Monday, March 04 2013 @ 08:07 AM PST
Here's a direct link to the article in the Coast Reporter on the eagles' nest tree cut down in Sechelt. stim offered to contact the Coast Reporter

http://www.coastreporter.net/article/20 ... d-a-danger

Thank You Sandra. 8:08A.M. Both Ma/Pa Stalashen are in the nest. Marg

By: urban Eagle on Monday, March 04 2013
Byebye Marg.Mr.SC,Sandra, Thank you for all your hard fought efforts for the loss of the Shoreline nest ,Hope that this pair will ba able to re-locate in time for nesting. Puzzled Wonderful to see that you all are seeing plenty of Eagles in the area. Marg was wondering if the kinnikinnicknest had any sign of the adults? You have been getting some awesome pic's. Sandra wonderful pic's and talons crossed for Chaster. cheers L

By: sunshinecoast on Monday, March 04 2013
Larry, thank you for your comments. Hopefully, the pair will build a nest for this season. Great about Strathcona. Smile Marg

By: stim on Friday, March 08 2013
My last visit to our nesting trees on Wed March 6 was drab. Regardless, I started in the subdivision above our Great Wall, to discover an adult perched and calling in a tree by the water toward Sechelt from our old Shoreline nest. Again, I couldn't see any sign of a new nest build, just the lone adult. I was a distance away, on the second level up in the subdivision. On driving down to the stump of the destroyed fir tree I saw an eagle flying then sitting in a tree directly ahead of the entrance into the subdivision. I suspect it was the same one, perched and still calling. It makes me wonder where they are or will be laying their eggs. Cry On to our marsh nest. I could see no one home on drive by so toured around the block to view the nest through my camera lens from the pier parking lot.

Content Provider

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

Marg

By: sunshinecoast on Saturday, March 09 2013
Good Morning friends.
What a beautiful day it was yesterday March 8, 2013 we decided to look at the area where the Shoreline nest had been. On our way to the village we saw this eagle perched, this is where we often see one or two eagles perched. Clapping

When we got to the vicinity of the old Shoreline nest we saw one of them perched in this tree which incidentally is the old nest tree. We had met a friend who lives not too far away from the old Shoreline nest and while walking with her she gave us a lot of valuable information. She told us that the old nest blew down several years ago. This is the tree that we had often seen one or both of our eagles perched in.
Click 2X Click on image to download

After our long walk along the beach and then back through the subdivision we heard an eagle calling a few times but didn't spot where it was. We scanned the area but couldn't see any evidence of a new nest being built. When we got to our car I looked up and saw one then two eagles flying above. Green LOL

Sandra, you got some good pics on your recent outing. Clapping
BTW Sandra you can see the Stalashen nest from Silverstone Lane.

By: stim March 10 2013
wave A great day for an outing yesterday Marg with some valuable sightings! Did the friend indicate how long the recently destroyed nest had been in the Douglas fir that went down? I hope to get shortening my letter to the editor by about half today! Life sure can interfere with good intentions! All's good though.
ETA I seem to recall that tomorrow is a year to date that our Stalashen couple were caught brooding by you through your telescope! fingers crossed

By: stim March 11, 2013
Marg, did it look to you like sap was plentiful seeping from the cut top of the Douglas fir?

By: Sunshinecoast on Friday March 15 2013
RE: OUR LOST EAGLES' NEST!
The Shoreline Nest.

Mr. SC and I had written a letter on March 5th to the COAST REPORTER paper (in time for the last edition of the newspaper) but it made it in the March 15th edition today! Sandra, stim's, letter which she sent this week also made it.
Mr. SC and I were in the area of where the nest used to be and saw two eagles perched in a tree and although we looked for evidence of a new nest did not see any. A few days earlier we saw the eagles flying in the area.
Here
Please go down to letters re: nest...…

By: sunshinecoast on Friday March 15 2013
Re: Topped Eagles' Nest Tree, Shoreline Nest
I just got a phone call as a result of Mr. SC and my letter to the Coast Reporter and this lady is very upset about the eagles' nest tree that was topped. She sees the eagles soaring looking for their nest just like we've seen. This lady, who has lived in the area for quite a while, told me that "the nest had been there for years and years and years" and that a lot of people in the area are very disturbed! She will pass on information to her friends and will contact me if they discover a new nest. She will be voicing her complaint to the appropriate people. I feel sad for the neighbours of this "lost" nest. Sad
We have found with one of our other nests that we follow, the Stalashen nest, that the neighbours just love Red Heart their eagles and always enjoy talking to us when we go down to check on them.
Marg

By: Debs on Friday, March 15 2013
Marg thanks for the update on the eagles that lost their tree and nest. I hope this pair Wub has a new nest somewhere nearby so that all of you can enjoy them again.
Shame on the family that topped the nest tree...I hope they realize what they have done now.

By: sunshine coast, on Friday, March 16 2013
Hi Debs, thanks for your caring about these eagles. Will be checking on the area frequently.

By: Stim, on Saturday, March 16 2013
wave: Back home from our recent excursion to find we've been published Marg! Grin I hope with your recent encouragement by phone more people will step forward with complaint. I believe we can now determine from the phone call you received that the nest was in the tree prior to land development and that the town was negligent in following their own bylaw to protect nest trees. Rant: I hope we can make them more aware and diligent in following their own bylaws in future!
I hope our Stalashen couple is into brooding mode soon if not by now. fingers crossed Amazing you saw their nest tree from Shoreline.
Thank you for your support Debs! Big hugs
On leaving our rock last week we saw an adult eagle perched in the tree we spied them in last year at this time, very close to or even on the property of the Sally Ann camp.Sitting eagle Clapping

By: urban Eagle. on March 17 2013
----wave Marg, Mr.SC and Sandra,
So Glad to see our Sunshine coast Eagles are getting ready for the 2013 seasonDon't Panic
Prayers going out still to our Shoreline pair that they will have a succesfull season as well.
Hope to get over there sooner rather than later to find some more new nests for you girls
Cheers and Big hugs
L&D

By: sunshinecoast on March 17 2013
Hi Larry & Dawn nice to see you here.Green LOL
Looks like Stalashen eagles are brooding at 5:25p.m. I saw 2 in the nest now there's just one.Egg hatch:
I hope that the Shoreline pair do have another nest.
Don't Panic Larry no more nests please..... Green LOL

By: stim on Monday, March 18 2013
Wooh Great potential brooding news Marg! Egg hatch: You surely do have more of a heads up through your telescope than we do from the ground! Clapping
Larry, we look forward to your returning to check out our nests. I'm with Marg, thinking we have plenty to keep an eye on! You and Dawn can find our new Shoreline nest if we haven't by then! Green LOL

Content Provider

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: Marg (offline) on Friday, February 21 2014 @ 10:48 AM EST  
Marg

By: stim on Tuesday, March 19 2013
As for our former Shoreline nest, I did see an adult circling while approaching from Sechelt but it was not visible from up on the Great Wall nor down parked by the remainder of their home tree. No trilling heard. Sap is visible dripping down the trunk base not only from the topped part of the tree but also from where branches were lopped off. Cry Hanky As I would have been taking a picture into the sun I didn't attempt it.
The receptionist at the District offices seemed surprised at delivery of my Bylaw Complaint taking ownership of the nesting tree not being protected back to the town. Now we'll see if I hear back from them. Local nesting trees need the protection they are deemed by their own bylaws!

By: sunshinecoast on Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Hi Sandra, I can see a teeny weeny bit of the top of the Stalashen eagle's head in your pic.Smile
Re: Shoreline we went by last week and I could see the sap running down what's left of the Shoreline nest tree.
Glad you saw one of the Marsh nest eagles especially bringing in nesting material great captures.Clapping We went by there on Sunday but not at the right time we didn't see any Sitting eagle perched or flying just a lot of ducks.
We often see our Chapman eagles fly over our house and then return in the evening just as it's getting dark. I must go down and look at that nest soon. We were at Wilson Creek having coffee around 10:30a.m. today and I saw 2 eagles flying above the car dealership heading up the hill a little.

By: sunshinecoast on Saturday, March 23 2013
Shoreline nest tree that was topped.
I contacted the Provincial Ecosystems Biologist again and he gave us an update Re: the mitigation and compensation plan. The property owner has retained a qualified environmental professional to develop the mitigation and compensation plan. Ecosystems expect to receive the document from the consultant no later than March 31, 2013. Then the Ecosystems Section will review its content and ensure that it adequately addresses the impacts caused by removing the tree and nest.
I feel that this should have happened sooner as this is a crucial time most of the eagles are incubating their eggs. We will continue to check the area to see if they have built another nest. Sandra, stim, has been checking also. Thank You
I hope to have a further update soon.

By: stim on Sunday, March 24 2013
:hello: Morning! The fact that the landowner is left to hire a professional to recommend a suitable mitigation and compensation plan leaves me feeling as if he does the hiring, becomes the "client" the least amount of compensation possible may be recommended. I wrote to Ryan Cloutier that considering time of year of the nest's destruction, mitigation should have been put into place before the fact, not after. I think I'll write again adding my concern over this as I did with the report from the arborist. Should not a neutral party be making recommendations rather than someone committed to the person with the agenda?

By: sunshinecoast on Sunday, March 24 2013
Sandra, Earl and I had emailed Ryan Cloutier Feb. 24th stating that the Provincial Government should hire the people and we felt that a Forester and an arbourist should also inspect the tree/s in question and that the client be billed. Good that you are saying this also. This is something to advise the Minister of the Environment who want people to participate in their study Species-at-Risk Protection Comments sought on draft plan. I urge you all on HWF to submit comments to the following link and perhaps we can get these changes implemented:
read here
Thank You

By: sunshinecoast on Thursday, April 25 2013
Good Morning to everyone who drops by.
April 24, 2013
We had a nest tour with a new resident on the Sunshine Coast and what a beautiful day we had.
Sandra, stim, picked up Arlene and then came by my house where they looked through the telescope at the Stalashen nest but it was already difficult to see the nest due to atmospheric conditions. We then headed down to the Marsh nest where we saw one white head in the nest, lots of ducks swimming and pigeons. Then we headed to the Kinnikinnick nest where we spotted one eagle in a tree but had difficulty seeing the nest due to the glare of the sun. From there we headed to our Seaview nest on the way we saw an eagle perched in a tree and once again we could see a white head in the Seaview nest. We then drove by the topped eagles' nest tree which used to be the Shoreline nest. I could see no evidence of a replacement nest in any of the nearby trees or a stand built.Sad We then headed to the Stalashen nest where once again Ma or Pa was in the nest incubating. We had an exciting day nest touring. It was lovely to meet you Arlene Welcome to the Sunshine Coast and happy Sitting eagle watching. Thank You hug Sandra, stim for driving us.

By: stim, on Sunday, June 02 2013
Last week I stopped by our Shoreline stump to check for anything that might speak of mitigation having occurred. As it was raining I didn't go down to the beach as hoped but was able to capture the sap staining on the tree trunk without the sun backlighting the stump. This is the tree that was classed as a heavy risk for another nesting season. Obviously a goodly amount of sap poured out as it "cried". Notice how close to the house it appears. click x2

Content Provider

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:37 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate