Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Eagles - General Information, Q & A's and in the News
 Eagles in the News
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, January 23 2010 @ 02:18 PM EST (Read 56783 times)  
JudyB

This thread is intended to call attention to articles of general interest about eagles.

It's also a place where people can discuss the articles posted in the Wildlife News area of the website.

You can also read the articles that were posted on our previous forum - click here.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 12:16 AM EST  
MaryF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7qcNiJT ... ture=email

These are a very different raptor BUT sort of eagles. They are really known as Caracara. I thought you all might enjoy these noisy birds!Roll eyes

There is a short commercial before the video starts.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, February 03 2010 @ 12:50 PM EST  
jkr

Vancouver Island eagles died of lead poisoning.
See the article in our Wildlife News article.php/20100203081434472

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 10:30 AM EST  
JudyB

This isn't exactly an eagle in the news, but I'm not sure where else to post this, so....

Judy who runs the Maine Bald Eagle Cam Discussion Forum posted this article/request, and I have her permission to post it here. Lynda White is the EagleWatch coordinator for Audubon of Florida, and some of us remember her as a contact person for the Tesoro, Florida, eagle cam - which unfortunately is no longer online (funding ran out - and I think I heard that the eagles are now nesting in the tree where the cam was - making it a bit hard to see them even if the cam could be put back into action).

Judy is involved with the EagleWatch program, as are several other forum members, I believe. I took the pictures out of the quote and posted them separately as pictures in quotes sometimes behave strangely.

quote by: Judy on the Maine Bald Eagle Cam Forum

I received this email today from Lynda White, if anybody knows of a nest, let her know. I also posted her photos that she included.

Dear Volunteers,

We have a very young eaglet who may have to be placed in a foster nest. The dead tree and nest in Kissimmee fell on Saturday, and this youngster was rescued, miraculously unharmed. We estimate he/she was 2-3 days old on Saturday. We are being very careful, wearing camouflage and feeding with a puppet so he doesn't become imprinted.

Our plan is to put a platform nest in a tree on adjacent property since there aren't any good trees at the nest site. We will wait a few days until the secondary down begins to come in and the eaglet can thermo-regulate. Then we will place him in the nest and hope the parents return. This usually works, but the longer we have to wait the less chance we have of success.

If they don't return to care for him, we'll retrieve him and then try a foster nest. We have had excellent results with fostering-eagles are such good parents that they don't mind another mouth to feed. The attached photo shows "Orville", the 3 week old eaglet we had to take from his nest at Orlando International Airport before the tree was cut down. Ed Slaney, a longtime EagleWatcher, knew that his nest had a chick the same age-it was a late nest, so we were lucky to have it. Orville and his new sibling did well and fledged after tearing the nest apart!

The other photo is our little one who may need a new home with another family.
If you have a chick or chicks around this age, please let me know. We hope a reunion with his parents works, but we need a backup plan.

Thanks for your help and your dedication to our eagles,
Lynda

How cute is this eaglet! Grin

~~~~~

Me again - note the white spot on the top of the chick's beak - it's not often that we get a good look at the egg tooth the chick uses to peck out of its shell. Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 06:38 PM EST  
MaryF

JudyB..It's so nice to hear from Lynda again. I wish it was under happier circumstances! Like you, I really miss the Tesoro nest! Orville in the top pic is so photogenic and what a lucky little eaglet he was!! I feel so sorry for that Kissimmee bobblehead! What a cutie. I sure hope they are successful in finding him a new home if necessary.

You are 100% correct about the egg tooth. I can only think of a couple of times that we have been able to see one of those!

I think this was the perfect thread to post her email!!Nodding yes

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 12:40 AM EST  
MaryF

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=11943748#

This is an interesting story about an eagle injured in Alaska. Be sure to watch the video. It's a tiny box in the upper left hand corner.Smile

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: country (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 09:15 PM EST  
country

not sure if this is the right place to post
we have nesting pair or eagles in Baytown TX
they have been here about a month and 1/2 or so
they have hualted construction in the area.
you can search the baytown sun local newspaper to find pics.
was out yesterday and seen both eagles out @different times flying
it was a beautiful thing to see.
had a mexican eagle land on test with female in nest
and the male was shortly behind and all you know what broke out.

if this needs to be moved please do new to website

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 10:46 AM EST  
jkr

Welcome to the HWF forum country

We'd love to hear updates on that pair of eagles if you're keeping an eye on that nest.
We do have areas of the forum where we can set up a thread for that pair if you'd be interested in posting your updates. We're always interested in more nests and the eagles in different areas of the world.

I'm off to search for the story.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:50 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate