Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other Eagle Pictures and Observations
 Eagle Pictures from Across the Land
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, January 23 2010 @ 01:45 PM EST (Read 39038 times)  
JudyB

There are lots of great pictures of eagles that don't fit into the categories above. Some might be taken at places eagles gather, such as during the salmon runs - or they might be of an eagle one sees while out for a walk. It might even be an eagle at a nest - though if it's a nest with a thread, we'd encourage you to put your pictures and discussion on that thread - and if you are going to see the nest fairly often, please consider becoming an "Eagle Watcher" or a Content Provider. If you're interested, please contact me or one of the Forum Assistants for details.

As a starting point, this thread will be a continuation of Eagle Pictures from Across the Land from the old forum - and all pictures of eagles that don't fit elsewhere are welcome! (And, by the way, "the Land" means any land - or water, for that matter - if you've taken a picture of an Australian eagle - feel free to post it here!)

As time goes by, we may split this thread into several threads, once we see what sorts of pictures and observations are posted.

One request - please put where and when the pictures were taken at the beginning of each post. "Where" doesn't have to be too specific - the town and state/province is fine, or even the general part of the state/province will do.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 08:26 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Hi Judy and everyone who stops by wave

Thank you for this thread Judy I just found it last night and I thought it was a great idea for those of us with eagles and stories and nowhere to put them for others to enjoy. I had no idea that there were Bald Eagles here in Ontario where I live but lo and behold back in November I spotted a pair of adults soaring the skies. To say I was excited would be a gross understatement.

I of course went looking and looking and couldnít find any again for a couple weeks. Then on Nov 30th I was just driving slowly down one of the roads that lead from the lake I look to my left and there were two juveniles perched on snags. I couldnít believe my eyes. I have come to know these two over the last 2 months and have named them Teeny and Grace. They are still with their parents and being taught how to fish. I find that fascinating since all that Iíve read states that they donít teach them. Apparently our Ontario eagles do things differently.

I named Teeny because he reminded me of Tiny so I just went smaller, and Grace because the whole day was a gift. I was concerned for Teenyís well-being, as you can see he looks raggedy and I ended up contacting Bev Day at OWL and sent her some pics. She thought he looked ok but wanted a closer tail shot that I was never able to get. I did however breathe a sigh of relief that outside of that she was pleased. I have watched him closely ever since and he is showing marked improvements in his flying and appearance.

On Saturday, January 23rd I made a short video of wee Teeny in flight and you can see he isnít graceful but heís getting where he needs to go with a little more ease all the time. Grace is a beautiful flyer.

Teeny in flight

It is now closing in on the end of January and I rarely have had a day without an eagle in it. Two Saturdays ago at the one spot I visit there were 15 of all various ages including sub-adults. This past Saturday Iím not sure of the count but there were 3 new juveniles and at least 2 new adults in the bunch.

I have suspicions on where nests could be but they would be impossible to get to and even if you did thereíd be no way to shoot pictures. The woods are very tangled and dense. I see the traffic though coming and going.

I just thought it would be nice to introduce anyone who stops by to a couple of the eagles of Ontario that I have found. Unfortunately the perch tree is a tad far out and the conditions on the lake are not conducive to taking great pics but that doesnít stop me. Any shot of an eagle is a good shot right?

This is Teeny and Grace the first day I seen them. Teeny being the lower one
Click on image to download

This is the whole family in the perch tree where they fish

Three adults in the perch tree.

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 08:29 PM EST  
yalitldevl

To show that it is actually the conditions and not my lousy picture taking abilityÖTitter here are some that are closer and better. I have taken over 4000 pics with this new cam and probably a quarter of them are eagles. I hope you enjoy the eagles and my accompanying story

All pictures I posted were taken between November 30th up to and including this past week. The eagles I am observing are about 10 - 30 minutes outside of Inverhuron, Ontario along the shore of Lake Huron.

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 10:10 PM EST  
JudyB

Great pictures! Thank you, Lori! Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 11:11 PM EST  
yalitldevl

You're welcome Judy I'm glad you liked them love

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: 95C4VanIsle () on Tuesday, February 02 2010 @ 09:34 PM EST  
Anonymous: 95C4VanIsle

Lori-I just found this thread by accident. Good for you girl!!

Great pictures and great finds. And to think you wondered why there were no eagles in Ontario just last fall. Congratulations and thanks for posting.

I think I know where you are referring to when you said you can't get to the nests and probably couldn't take a video camera. We talked about where you live last year in a another thread. Keep searching when the weather gets better as there has to be one in the area that you can access. At least I'm hoping you find one! I can't think of anyone else who would cover a nest with your enthusiasm.

Once again, thanks for the pictures.

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 08:30 PM EST  
PacNorWest

An eagle in Skagit Valley yesterday.

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 10:07 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Thanks so much Brett for your kind words and support in my search of a nest here. I really donít feel optimistic about it because of the density of the woods and my ability to dig through it as far as I may have to. But you just never know and I havenít given up the hope of it.

The eagle population here is building particularly over these last two days. Iíd give anything to know where they are coming from to come to the lake here and fish. Iíll show you some from yesterday and today.

These first two were taken yesterday at my normal spot outside of Inverhuron on the lakeshore at noon hour

and about two hours later I found this juvie alone and away from all the others

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:45 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate