Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Decorah, Iowa Bald Eagle Cam--2013
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, October 10 2012 @ 10:54 PM EDT (Read 20301 times)  
MaryF

The Decorah Bald Eagle cam was set up and is maintained by the Raptor Resource Project, a non-profit organization for the preservation of falcons, eagles, ospreys, hawks, and owls. The cam first went live in 2008 with Ustream picking it up in 2010 after which it became wildly popular all over the world. The cam is viewable 24/7 during the nesting season with the help of an infra-red camera. The eagles don't see the light and are not disturbed.

About this nest - This nest is in Decorah, Iowa and is in the Central Time Zone. It's exact location is not given out to protect the eagles but it is located next to a fish hatchery providing this family with an almost unlimited source for fish although we see many different types of prey come in to the nest to feed the eaglets. The nest is about 6ft long/wide and about 6ft deep. It is located about 80ft up in a cottonwood tree. Eagles have been observed in this tree ince 2002 but the first female was a different one than the Mom we all know from the cam.

In 2008, PBS's Nature released a documentary called American Eagle, which featured the now famous nest. The documentary includes the death of the male's first mate, who disappeared during a snowstorm, and the subsequent courtship, nest-building and mating with "Mom". She was very young...maybe even between 4 and 5 years old when the nest became "hers". She still had dark brown feathers in her head and tail. After fledging two eaglets in 2008 this pair has successfully fledged three eaglets--triplets--in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012---AMAZING!!

Click on image to download Beautiful Mom Decorah--s'cap by Maryanne11

This is one link to the cam--http://www.farmyou.com/falcon_cams/deco ... _xcel.html

It can be found on USTREAM at this link--http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

The cam may also be watched through HWF at this link--index.php?topic=DecorahEagle1#camera

Update - the eagles may be building a new nest - click here for details!

Click on image to download Handsome Dad Decorah--s'cap by MaryF

Based past experience for this pair, look for eggs in late February or early March, chicks in early to mid-April, and fledging in late June or early July.

2012-2013 Season:

* cam on---Oct 11, 2012

adults seen---

eggs laid: --- Feb 19-20

hatched---First hatch Mar, 25th---3 eaglets seen by April 7th

fledged---June 17, 23, and 26

* last seen---

Click on image to download the 2012 "triplets" Wub s'cap by anna-holland

** Sad news about two of the above beautiful chicks! **

Two Known Tragedies From The Decorah Eagle's Nest

Sadly, we have experienced two losses of juvenile eagles from the Decorah nest that we know of. If anything happened in the prior years to any of the fledged eaglets, we would have no way of knowing. Both D12 & D14 from the 2012 season were unfortunately electrocuted on power poles. We lost D12 on July 1, 2012, and we lost D14 on November 25, 2012. D12 was near the natal nest area at the time it happened, and D14 was approximately 50 miles away, near Rockford, Iowa. We would not have known about D14's death had we not been tracking him, but Bob was not getting good readings from the transmitter and set out to find him. The remains of both eagles were sent to the National Eagle Repository in Colorado

Link to the 2012 Decorah, IA Bald Eagle Cam discussion thread:

forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=269106

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, October 10 2012 @ 10:55 PM EDT  
MaryF

This interesting historical note was found and posted by member CAL04----

Decorah, Iowa, history note: Decorah is named for a prominent Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Family. Decorah is the Native American name for the French Descaris or DeCarrie Family. Chieftess Hopokoekau, known as “Glory of the Morning” or “Coming of the Dawn”, married French military officer, Joseph Sabrevoir Descaris about 1729 during the Fur Trade Era. Many descendants of this union were later removed from Wisconsin to Iowa and beyond. The Decorah Family is Thunderbird Clan.

RRP added another new cam to the nest with better and clearer zooming capabilities. Here is a narrated video showing the installation. Good work RRP and Pricilla!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kllY6jFa ... demail-new

For any of you who have never seen this beautiful video featuring the Decorah eagles I urge you to find the time to do so. It was beautifully done quite a few years ago by PBS and features the original one-eyed Mom eagle. She was there before the beautiful Mom that we all know and love today. It has great views of the area, the tree, the nest and best of all---Dad Decorah and his mates-past and present-doing their thing! RRP's Bob Anderson and the Decorah eagles are the stars of this videol. It contains some surprises-both good and bad-but is absolutely beautifully photographed and a must for all eagle lovers.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... sode/4349/

Present day Mom Decorah as she looked when I first saw her as a new 4 year old female in the nest!!

Click on image to download

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, October 11 2012 @ 12:25 AM EDT  
MaryF

:hello: Everybody!!

We have an update on the Screen Capture Contest; there was a total of 119 scap entries, which have short listed to 41 entries and you are invited to help select the Top 9; 3 per nest.

As you will see there are many awesome screen captures. Please note that this is a View Only thread so if you have any questions feel free to ask any of our Team Members and they will be glad to help you.

For more information and to see all the beautiful screen captures of our Delta, Lafarge & White Rock families .... click on the link below.

forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=421390&lastpost=true#422491

Thanks again to all of our members that contributed to this very first Screen Capture Contest Thank You... every capture rekindled some very fine memories of our HWF Bald Eagle Families Wub

SO--Check out the link and VOTE and help us decide the winning s'caps!! Cheers

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, October 11 2012 @ 03:53 PM EDT  
MaryF

They have turned on the Decoirah cam!!! They were so excited that I received 4 emails telling me that the Decorah Eagles were now live! Green LOL

My first scap of the new season shows that the eagles have been working on their nest but they weren't home when I looked!

Here's one of the nest-with D14- at the end of last season for comparison.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, October 11 2012 @ 11:50 PM EDT  
MaryF

Three very brave or crazy mice were seen running around in the nest tonight. Pricilla captured them in a video! Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTuvJuNZ ... demail-new

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, October 12 2012 @ 12:14 PM EDT  
MaryF

A short note from RRP----

Raptor Resource Project

‎10/12/12: Testing!

The feed will be flickering on and off today as we test equipment options, including video cards and encoders. Stay tuned!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, October 19 2012 @ 01:20 AM EDT  
MaryF

Bob Anderson went hunting for D14 today and had great luck! The following story and picture are courtesy of RRP and Bob Anderson.

.Raptor Resource Project
10/18/12: D14 Update

Bob says:

"Greetings! I arrived at the Decorah Eagle shop early this AM pleased to find both adults in the nest working with branches.
...I had a morning presentation in West Union, IA to a group of about 40 retired teachers. What a fun group to speak to.

I then set off for Nashua, IA to see if I could track down D14 on the Cedar River. As I approached the city, the PTT receiver put out a low signal reading. Love that sound! The closer I got to the town, the higher the voice reading from the receiver. I turned north on 218 and followed the river upstream. Soon the PTT receiver signal topped out and started to reduce in readings. I turned back south and stopped where the signal was strongest. There were several homes with river front property, but no one was home at the first two. The third house was the charm. The owner gave me permission to access the back of his property. I was getting a very strong signal and soon located D14 in a tree quite far out on a small island, but mostly hidden from view by branches. I tried to find a opening that would allow me to get a photograph with no luck. D14 then took flight, flew along the river bank, and landed on the shore. I was able to capture one photograph using full 36X optical magnification before he took flight again and went into a soar.

It was also a good day for bird (hawk) watching. I saw an osprey, lots of Red-tailed hawks; one being a very light colored, quite a few kestrels, an adult male harrier and lots of bald eagles.

Click on image to downloadphoto by Bob Anderson
D-14

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, October 19 2012 @ 08:42 AM EDT  
JudyB

D-14 is looking good! And great to see the cam back online - thanks, Mary! Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:31 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate