Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Maine Coast - 2013 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (online) on Wednesday, October 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM EDT (Read 17823 times)  
JudyB

Maine Coast - Bald Eagle Cam

Link to the cam: http://www.briloon.org/watching-wildlife/eagle-cam.php
Link to the cam on UStream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/brieaglcam (starts with ad which can be noisy)

Link to the Maine Bald Eagle Cam forum: http://www.window-on-wildlife.com
Link to Maine Eagle Cam Forum Archives: http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/index.php?mforum=tdbc

This is a streaming cam with sound; it did have night vision but that has stopped working, and the tree where the cam is located is unsafe to climb so that cannot be fixed.

The cam is located in coastal Hancock County, and the eagles have nested at this site since 1995 and raised 21 offspring, making them one of the most successful pairs in Maine when the cam first came online. This is a beautiful nest on the coast of Maine.

They fledged two eaglets on cam in 2006 (a third chick was lost, likely due to sibling rivalry), but had tragedy in 2007 - the weather was brutal right after the chicks hatched and they lost them; they did not lay eggs in 2008 or 2009 (taking a year or two off after a nest failure is apparently fairly common). Eagles were seen at the nest regularly in 2010, though it's not certain if this is the pair from earlier years or if a change occurred at some point since the loss of the chicks in 2007; they did not lay eggs. The current pair actually laid two eggs in 2011, and we all had our hopes up for a successful season - but it was not to be; it's not clear quite what happened, but there was a bad storm shortly after the eggs were laid and the female (who might be relatively young) was gone for several days; when she returned she didn't resume incubating, and the male was unable to do it all, so the nest was eventually left untended and subsequently failed; there may also have been one or more other eagles in the area, adding to the stress.

The pair nested in 2012 - and two chicks hatched! Unfortunately one was lost to sibling rivalry when five weeks old in the wake of a major rainstorm; the chicks were alone during much of the storm (unusual for chicks so young), and food deliveries were few and far-between for several days afterwards. The older chick not only got all the food, but launched a series of brutal attacks on the younger chick, who eventually fell from the nest to his death. Although it appeared to some of us observing the cam that the adults spent less time on the nest than at most nests and the remaining chick had to self-feed more than usual after the storm, the chick fledged successfully. She (or maybe he) was still visiting the nest and occasionally being fed until September 26, roughly 10 weeks after fledging, and some observers were quite certain they heard her calling in the distance well into October. The adults began major work on the nest on September 28.

Before 2011, eggs were generally laid in the first half of March, with chicks in mid-April, and fledging in early July; more recently, eggs have arrived in late March, with hatching in early May and fledging in mid-July.

2012-2013 Season:

• adults begin work on nest: September 28
  • eggs laid: first egg by morning of March 15 (possibly previous evening)
  • hatched: April 19, 5:28 pm (about 35 days); seen April 23, 7:05 am
  • sad news: The younger eaglet died June 4. In a replay of last year, there was some bad weather, followed by a drop in food deliveries, which led to the younger eaglet not being fed. There was not the level of attacks that we saw last year, perhaps because the eaglets were a week older than when this happened last year - or perhaps it's a difference in gender or personality. The older eaglet only attacked the younger one when necessary to make sure the younger one did not get any of the food. The younger one tried to be sneaky, and managed to grab and swallow the tail end of a fish - but it wasn't enough. Rest in peace, young one.
  • fledged: July 5, 11:26 am (77 days)
  • last seen: July 31 (the camera was offline a lot in August, so the fledgling may have visited when we weren't looking)

(Information from BioDiversity Research Institute)

March 28 2012 screen cap posted by BET - Mom incubating while Dad keeps watch

May 6 2012 screen cap posted by JudyB - dinner at the golden hour

August 3 2012 screen cap posted by Debs - recently fledged eaglet surveys her world

Link to last year's thread for the Maine bald eagle cam

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Wednesday, October 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Wednesday, October 10 2012 @ 04:54 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Wednesday, October 10 2012 @ 05:02 PM EDT  
JudyB

I'm late setting up this thread because the 2012 fledgling, nicknamed Eden, was still visiting the nest into October. It looks as if the adults are beginning to do a bit of work on the nest now, so I'm setting up the thread for the new season. I'm leaving the 2012 thread open for a few more days to see if there are additional sightings of Eden.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Friday, October 12 2012 @ 12:58 PM EDT  
JudyB

Friday, October 12, 2012

Good afternoon!

12:35 pm
I'm hearing some trills.... Smile

12:36 pm
An adult landed quietly and is moving some sticks around. Not sure who it is - keep changing my mind; I'm leaning towards Dad. Flew off to the left at 12:40 pm. Hard to tell, but it looked as if he(?) may have a white feather on his back.

Video Camera A Bit of Nestoration (3 minutes)

4:55 pm
Just caught another brief visit. Thought I saw the white feather on the shoulder again, so perhaps the same one. Again arrived quietly - I heard a little crunch of branches as he landed. Visit was about 4 minutes.

Video Camera More Nestorations (3.5 minutes)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Friday, October 12 2012 @ 06:33 PM EDT  
JudyB

One adult landed about 6:08 pm - and the other one came in a minute or so later! I started to take a s'cap but decided to record instead - a lucky choice on my part as this is the first time I've seen them both on the nest in ages! One only stayed a minute or two - and I thought I heard a stick snap before the second one flew in - didn't see if he/she brought anything. No calls while they were on the nest. The second one left about 6:14, so the visit was about 6 minutes. It was getting quite dark, so until I watch the video again, I'm not sure if the first to arrive was the first to leave, or if one was there the whole time, and the other just stopped by briefly.

Video Camera Both Adults on the Nest (5-1/2 minutes)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Saturday, October 13 2012 @ 06:33 PM EDT  
JudyB

Saturday, October 13, 2012

There was a visit earlier today that I missed, and I heard some calling during the afternoon. Both adults visited the nest at dusk again today.

5:57 - 6:04 pm

Video Camera Nestorations Continue (8 minutes)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Tuesday, October 16 2012 @ 03:54 PM EDT  
JudyB

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

3:50 pm
Adult on the nest, doing some nestorations and trying to maneuver a big stick.

Click on image to download

The cam was offline yesterday afternoon and this morning, and I think they changed the adjustment a bit when they restarted it - it seems to be pulled back some.

Adult flew off to the the left around 3:54 pm.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:20 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate