Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Wolf River, WI - 2013 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 11:16 AM EDT (Read 33698 times)  
urdognu

Wolf River, Shiocton, Wisconsin - Bald Eagle Cam 2013

Wolf River Nest Cam

Thank you Gary Bunnell for installing, running and managing this cam.

Main Cam

http://www.livewildlifecams.com/Wolf%20 ... agles.html - with a direct link to the Hancock Wildlife Foundation Wolf River Eagle Nest Thread.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/WolfRiverCam-New-London

Wolf River Eagles Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiverEagles

Located on the banks of the Wolf River in Wisconsin, these bald eagles have built a nest in a large white pine tree. The nest is not viewable from any roadway and rests on private property.
The camera is a pan/tilt/zoom camera with infrared lighting. There is also a fixed camera in the event of a main camera failure. Due to a lightning strike to the main cam during last years nesting season shortly after the chicks hatched, the fixed camera was used for the rest of the season. The main camera is being fixed for the 2013 season. There is also audio which allows the sounds of the eagles to be heard. The chicks will be banded when they are around 5 weeks old.

The parents at this nest have been named George and Martha. In 2012, two eggs were laid and both hatched at the end of April. Shadow (M) was the first hatch and Feather (F) hatched two days later. Both successfully fledged towards the end of July.

Based on last years experience, look for eggs towards the last half of March, chicks at the end of April, and fledging in late July.

2012 - 2013 Season:

cam on: December 23, new PTZ cam
Great Horned Owl (GHO) seen on nest: February 4
GHO eggs laid: maybe February 8, 10:58 pm and definitely by February 9, 5:15 am; February 12, 12:57 am; first seen Feb 16, 6:03 am
hatched: March 18, 9:54 pm first visual of owlet
banded:
named: Storm
fledged: May 1, 2013, 8:30 pm
first return to nest:

Link to last years thread..
forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=352500

Click on image to download
scap taken by urdognu/Judy Lynn

Martha and George guarding the nest... May 20, 2012
The above two pictures taken by Pat Fisher

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 11:16 AM EDT  
urdognu

More information on the Wolf River Nest...

Gary Bunnell runs the Wolf River Cam and he shared the following information with me. He said he loves the Hancock Wolf River thread and plans to sign up soon.

Pat Fisher (Grehwind7) is the eagle expert and part of the reason this cam is running. She has a bird rehabilitation center (which I call, The house and the cages), that goes by the name of The Feather ( www.thefeather.org ). Pat takes in 60-100 birds per year for rehab. She does have educational birds and does programs. Pat does have flight pens and cages of all sizes outdoors and brings the birds inside to the basement for the winter. I had to laugh tonight when we were putting up a feeding station camera for her local GHOs that are free but reside nearby, when I came back into the shed, she was putting away the Sandhill Cranes. Here's this lady walking the 2 Cranes into the shed and into there rooms. When I say walking, I mean they walk next to her....no leash, no coaxing, just follow her. Pretty cool to see. Pat uses donations and her own money to make it all work. She drives school bus for the elementary school and will be on summer break soon. Oops, forgot to mention, Pat is 76. She has a great supporting cast, but the day to day is all her. Our purpose is to bring her exposure, help rise some money for her since she thought she might have to close the doors this spring. Our websites get about 10 million hits per year, so I think we have the ability to help her. What my wife (Kim) and I do with Wolf River Cam, comes out of our own pockets, which a couple bucks from advertisers helps a little.

We did have a local conservation group help pay for almost all of the eagle cam and the upcoming osprey cam. Shadows on the Wolf does great things for the area. They do all kinds of restoration and nature bolstering work all the way to youth programs with funding for others. They raise money and put it back into the environment. We are also helping to raise awareness for them, though they do have a better presence than The Feather, as far as people participating and raising money.

We do get a fair amount of traffic to our cameras as you have seen and have been on the local tv station. However, I think our traffic isn't as high because of the area being so small. Heck Shiocton, WI has about 1,000 people. The motto for the town is "We Like It Here" and with good reason, having the Wolf River running through it and all it provides. We might be small, but we're passionate. With things like losing our main cam on the eagle nest, we have to get through the tough times and take care of each other...or try to think of the worst case scenario and put up a backup 4 months prior when we did the main install. Did you see the lightning strike video?

Livewildlifecams will have the main updates. I started that website so I could generalize a little. I own that one as well as www.wolfrivercam.com, www.livedeercamera.com and www.livefishcam.com.

2012 Fledglings... Shadow (m) and Feather (f)

Picture taken by Pat Fisher

Earlier in the season with both parents in the nest feeding the eaglets...
scap taken by urdognu/Judy Lynn

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 11:16 AM EDT  
urdognu

Thank you Gary Bunnell for designing the Hancock Wildlife Organization clickable banner for your cam page.

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 11:17 AM EDT  
urdognu

Great Horned Owl Visits The Nest 2-4-2013
Video Camera
http://youtu.be/W-iX2FmbxT4

Facebook page post from Wolf River Eagles
Wolf River Eagles
Houston, we have a problem....not really a problem, just nature. We have seen a pair of Great Horned Owls (GHO) in the nest seemingly looking to take it over. Pat Fisher from The Feather believes that if they are there, George and Martha may very well abandon it. Now, last year there was a sub adult eagle in the nest and George or Martha drove it off. If the owls take up residence, we will definitely not interfer. I don't know exactly what will happen, what we are certainly in for a lesson in Nature.

Meet Bonnie
screen cap by urdognu

Clyde offering a gift to his sweet Bonnie
screen cap by urdognu

Bonnie with her 3 eggs
screen cap courtesy of Mia

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 11:17 AM EDT  
urdognu

A Clyde after delivery a mouse to Bonnie.
screen cap by urdognu

Storm
S'cap courtesy of Mia

Storm getting big
S'cap courtesy of Mia

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 11:19 AM EDT  
urdognu

Storm 4 days before fledge.

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: urdognu (offline) on Tuesday, October 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM EDT  
urdognu

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Good Morning Wolf River Eagles and Friends.

Every time I check the nest, it has been empty.
I still have not heard when the cam will be fixed and reinstalled for the 2013 nesting season, but we have plenty of time.

Forum

Southern California

Profile Email   PM

By: Debs (offline) on Wednesday, October 17 2012 @ 11:02 PM EDT  
Debs

JL hopefully the birds will be home soon hug

A newflash to share

Good Evening Friends wave

The Results of the Screen Capture Contest are posted Click on link below.
Very Happy

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=424783#424783

Feel free to drop in and extend your congrats to all the members that participated in the contest.

May you embrace all the "blessings and gifts" that surround you in your life ... let your spirit soar :-)

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:45 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate