Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Eagle Cams
 Maine II - 2013-2015 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 24 2012 @ 10:00 AM EDT (Read 11880 times)  
JudyB

Maine II - 2013 - 2015 - Bald Eagle Cam

BRI link - http://www.briloon.org/oae/webcams/eaglecam2

UStream Link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nextera-maine-eaglecam-2

Note - this is not the Maine 2 Cam we watched in 2009 & 2010 - last we heard, that pair had likely built a new nest to replace the one that was lost when their nest tree fell over in fall 2010 after the eaglets fledged - but there's no cam tracking them. BioDiversity Research Institute is calling this cam, which came online in spring 2011, EagleCam 2 - so I am following their lead. The Maine forum refers to this nest as EagleCam 2B, to make it easier to avoid confusing it with the original EagleCam 2 (which they're now referring to as 2A).

The cam is located somewhere Maine, and because it is on private property, BioDiversity Research Institute (BRI) has chosen to not be more specific than to say it's in coastal Maine. The cam has night vision, and should have sound, but that was not working for most of 2012.

2011 was the first year for this camera, and it came online in mid-April; one of the adults spent a lot of time sitting on the nest, but we never saw any eggs - don't know if they did have some and lost them, or what the pre-camera story might be. We're hoping to learn more about this pair - and perhaps see some chicks - in 2012. 2012 was a sad year for this pair - it appears that the male died around the middle of March, electrocuted when he flew into a power line, perhaps while chasing an intruder (link to Maine forum for more info); a new male was seen on the nest shortly thereafter, with a dark spot on his head and some darker feathers in the tail, but he was quite inexperienced in his attempts to mate (even standing next to the willing female a couple of times while making all the right motions, but nowhere near the target area), so there were no eggs. A pair has been seen working on the nest, so we're hoping to see chicks in 2013.

The eagles worked on the nest occasionally, but did not lay eggs in 2013 or 2014.

The cam is off-line as of August 2014, and we are not sure if it will be back on for the 2015 nesting season.

JudyB's s'cap - April 16, 2011

Based on other nests in the general area, look for eggs in the last half of March, chicks towards the end of April, and fledging in late July.

Link to last year's thread for this nest.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 24 2012 @ 10:01 AM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, November 14 2012 @ 06:13 AM EST  
JudyB

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I caught a brief visit by one of the adults this morning! Must admit I haven't been checking that often - busy times at a lot of nests - but this is the first time I've caught one at home for a month or so.

Click on image to download

The nest is looking good - I do hope they have an opportunity to use it in 2013. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, February 22 2013 @ 09:17 AM EST  
JudyB

Friday, February 22, 2013

9:10 am
Someone on the Maine forum reported seeing the eagles at the nest yesterday, so I looked in - and there were two eagles there, working on the nest!

One flew off at 9:11 am; the other stayed a minute or so.

And left at 9:12 am.

Not sure what will happen this year - but nice to see eagles!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, March 08 2013 @ 07:19 PM EST  
JudyB

Friday, March 8, 2013

7:17 pm eastern time

There's an adult in the nest - and she(?) has been there since about 6:00 pm. We haven't seen eggs since there was a cam here, so we don't know what's normal for this pair - but they've been working on the nest, and it's looking pretty good!

8:30 pm
Still there, looking similar enough to my previous picture that I'm not going to take another. :wink2:

9:34 pm
No change.

9:37 pm
Up, moving around a bit, and now perched nearer the edge of the nest.

10:08 pm
Moving back towards the center of the nest and settling in.

And I think she might have the right idea - good night!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, March 09 2013 @ 08:41 AM EST  
JudyB

Saturday, March 9, 2013

8:40 am
Folks on Chat and the Maine forum report that she left around 5:30 am, and that both adults visited the nest after that.
Nest is empty now.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, March 11 2013 @ 11:07 AM EDT  
JudyB

Monday, March 11, 2013

11:06 am

The eagles have been hard at work for the last half hour, though the nest is empty at the moment.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: gemini (offline) on Saturday, March 16 2013 @ 09:35 PM EDT  
gemini

A new and easy way to improve your viewing experience on the HWF Forum!

(Other Birds and Wildlife are still being edited and will be added in the next couple of weeks!)

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 02:44 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate