Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Lafarge Vancouver BC - Bald Eagle Nest
  Lafarge 2012/2013 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos
 |  Printable Version
By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, September 20 2012 @ 01:15 PM EDT (Read 217350 times)  
gemini

Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos - Lafarge Vancouver Bald Eagle Nest
2012/13 Nesting Season

NOTE:
This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the Lafarge Nest.

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the Lafarge Nest captured via the webcams.

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them) - and if you would limit the smileys - that would be lovely!

The Cameras

Tuesday Sept. 4, 2012 New cam installed into the tree. The 2012/13 season will feature a new 20 x HD PTZ cam with microphone. A second new cam was planned but there was not another healthy branch available on which to mount it! However, between the new PTZ camera and the current cam mounted on the Tower, we can expect a better than ever before viewing season including sound!

Here is a map showing the relative positions of the Vancouver area nests.

Click for a bigger version

Useful LInks

Significant Dates - 2012-2013 Nesting Season

Mom Lafarge returned home: September 26, approx. 3:37 pm

Dad Lafarge returned home: September 27, approx. 12:31 pm

Eggs Laid: 1st egg March 13, 2nd egg March 16, 3rd egg March 19;

Eggs Hatched: 1st egg April 20 (38 days), 2nd egg April 21 (36 days), 3rd egg April 23 (35 days)

Sad News: the 3rd eaglet died shortly after hatching; it appeared active as it finished making its way out of the shell but was not moving the following morning

More Sad News: the second eaglet died May 2nd at age 11 days; it was clearly smaller than its sibling, though they were only one day apart in age, but appeared to be getting a reasonable amount of food, and was active until the morning of the 2nd, so we're not sure what factors contributed to its death.

Fledge --- July 11, 2013 12:21 p.m.; returned to the nest July 12, 10:36 am

Left the area for fall migration: Last adult seen on Aug 6, Feathers last seen on Aug 8

For identification of parents: Ma has the lighter feathers...greyish. Pa is much darker....feathers almost black

The following members of Hancock Wildlife chose to honor their favorite fine feathered family and support the work of Hancock Wildlife by adopting the Lafarge nest for 2013:
Click on image to download

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, September 20 2012 @ 01:15 PM EDT  
gemini

Lafarge Cameras - re technical explanation of the picture quality

The Side View Cam: The sun glare will always break up the picture quality of the camera - especially in the spring while the sun is still low in the sky. As summer nears and the sun moves further north, the problem will likely resolve itself.

Overhead view: Because the picture quality is improved when the cam is panned away from the nest our technician is almost certain that there is a smudge on the clear camera cover which interferes with the picture quality when it pans back to the nest . Being an HD camera it picks up detail making it more noticeable. Unfortunately this is a problem that cannot be resolved until the annual maintenance in late August or early September. Also, Lafarge runs on 1MB and our other cams run on either 5MB or 10MB, and unfortunately, because of the setup at Lafarge, the MB's can't be increased for the Lafarge cams.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, September 20 2012 @ 01:16 PM EDT  
gemini

April 26, 2013
jkr here --- adding to gemini's existing reserved post.

A bit of information about our ptz cam operations.

Our zoomers have been requested to keep the zoom cam and the embedded cam open simultaneously. There is a delay from the time they zoom the cam and the time you see it so they need to see when the change takes place before moving the camera again.

Having two windows open on their screen, which may be all they can fit on their monitor, they can't always read what is being posted at the forum at that time. If you post that you want the zoom changed or the panning changed our zoomerss are not aware of your request until after they leave zooming and open the forum window again.

Our own zoomers are not the only people who can access our cam controls. The landowners have access to change the zoom/pan which takes it out of our control. David and Ken can also change the cam at any given time without our knowledge. It is not always our own zoom team on the cameras.

Our zoomers are experienced eagle observers. If the cam zooms in closely they may be checking on the health of a chick/adult, checking food items, checking markings on an adult (eg: Delta Dad has a small spot next to his pupil on the right eye which identifies him from Mom), checking beaks/feet which may change colour if eagles are poisoned, and panning the area checking for intruders and watching eaglets once they learn to branch. Many times observations which may be of concern are reported to David Hancock for his biology records.

We wish we could accommodate all requests to have the camera in the exact spot each of you want it to be but that is impossible.

Thanks.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, September 20 2012 @ 01:17 PM EDT  
gemini

FROM DAVID HANCOCK:

The Lafarge Nest Cam Update for 2012- 2013

Sept. 4, 2012 - The update went very smoothly. Adam from Lafarge expertly manipulated the man-lift and one of my employees came to assist in the placement of the cam. It was a great sunny day and as hoped no bald eagles were present. On the other hand we were barely up the tree and we heard the flock of nearby gulls give a predator alarm call -- I was certain it was not their eagle alarm call. Sure enough within seconds a juvenile peregrine falcon carrying "something in its talons" and pursued by 20 gulls landed on the rocks directly below us in the nest tree. Immediately the pluming began. The feathers appeared to be that of a pigeon. It ate, we went to work.

First we removed last year's cam that did not function. The nest site was discouraging. The set of cam cables and every branch supporting the good sized nest were in shambles. The adults, mainly the male, has annually been observed stripping the covering off every bit of wire insulation and every bit of bark off every limb within reach. In fact each nearby perch was also totally stripped of the cambium layer. The ground observers had suspected that the bark stripping was killing the tree and it surely has. Every branch that could be reached by the male had been peeled clean. Of course with the cambium layer stripped away the tree has lost its supply of nutrients and water and those branches were dead. This tree is a cottonwood and they unfortunately rot into pulp in very few years -- even a 4 -6 inch diameter branch.

As we have seen in the past some eagles seem to abandon what we thought of as "good nests" only to show us they knew better when their nest fell out the tree before that next year was completed. In the meantime that pair of eagles had built another nest nearby knowing that something about the tree was insecure -- something we had not understood until the nest fell. My fear is that this nest is about to suffer abandonment by the adults. My guess is that they will assess, on their return from their northern migration, the nest tree strength as inadequate. Time will tell. In the meantime we have installed a fine PTZ cam that Ken has already set up the ground communications and microwave across the cement plant, tested it, and today it is working wonderfully.

While I hope the eagles' assessment of the nest strength is correct, we have, as many of you know, already installed an artificial platform adjacent to the nest tree. This platform was invested in by Lafarge, at my recommendation, as an insurance policy for the day their original nest fell or blew down. I think we are approaching the due date on the insurance policy! While we only have cams pointing at the old nest, it is possible that this old structure will endure another year as it is located in the central part of the tree as opposed to on an unsupported side limb. This territory has been so productive I don't think these breeders will abandon the nest unless it fully collapses. We will remain optimistic.

Comment on the new cam: This is a new 20 x HD PTZ and will, if the birds return, give us incredible views and close-ups of the nest and the pair's activities. As ground and keen cam observer, Sharon, repeatedly points out, this pair exhibit "intense" interactions and almost nightly use the nest for roosting. Because of the intense activity around the Vancouver Harbor and all the artificial lights on or guarding all the buildings, we don't even have to install infrared lights -- the ambient light from all the security lights enables us to view the eagles 24/7. The harbor and the nearby nesting peregrine falcons provide a constant and plentiful food supply to nearly annually producing 3 young. From the cam we also look down on a nearby rocky intertidal beach frequented by Canada geese and various waterfowl. Let's hope the nest holds together another year.

Thanks, Lafarge, for saving these eagles and the little chunk of waterfront wilderness in the center of one of the world's busiest harbors.

Site Sponsorship: This nest is largely funded by Lafarge Cement, with Shaw Cable now supporting the outbound bandwidth and you viewers funding the frequent updates by Ken and Mike that keep it all going. Thanks again.

David Hancock
Hancock Wildlife Foundation

* Click here for Photos of Cam Installation

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 06:04 AM EDT  
nightowl

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2012

Hey mjb!

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: cococat9 (offline) on Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 12:22 PM EDT  
cococat9

Good Morning LaFarge Friends!

I am charged with excitement waiting for ma & pa's return.
Sunny day.

9:18am...I caught this little crow? plucking leaves off the tree. And I thought the leaves fell off naturally...ha ha!

I will be watching for a while.....

Forum

Washington

Profile Email   PM

By: cococat9 (offline) on Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 01:37 PM EDT  
cococat9

In case you might be wondering what the weather is like in the Vancouver area today...
14C/57F and Mostly Cloudy......

The crows/ravens have been very busy in and around the nest area this morning. The most activity I have seen since Ma and Pa left.

10:27am..First there were 2...

10:31am...Then I counted 6

10:35am...Lots of them flying in and out of the branches....crow/raven watching anyone Smile

I have to leave for a while..BBL...Out

Forum

Washington

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 06:37 PM EDT  
karenbills

EAGLE ON THE NEST RIGHT NOW!!!!

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:21 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate