Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 Delta 2 Update for 2012 - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, September 14 2012 @ 07:41 PM EDT (Read 1953 times)  

Delta 2 Update for 2012 - 2013:

The Delta 2 pair gave us some worrisome moments this year with the loss of a chick. While no definitive answer has emerged as to why the chick suddenly fell over dead, the evidence suggests some heart attack or poisoning. More importantly they successfully fledged another young to the world of eagles. A bigger challenge for this pair and all wildlife living in the Delta region stretching from Boundary Bay on the east to Robert's Bank on the west, is the planned huge expansion of the Metro Vancouver Port Facilities, particularly along the Robert's Bank region and the adjacent container storage facilities utilizing the thousands of acres of Canada's best farmland. We, the masters of our fate, are about to commit one of the greatest ecological tragedies of the world -- turning the richest intertidal waters, the greatest feeding, loafing and migration holding area for shorebirds, waterfowl and the assortment of raptors, into industrial wasteland to support even more destructive industrial pollution. And that area is only the intertidal area bordering most of the proposed industrial and housing projects. The biggest area is the adjacent farmland -- some of the most productive land in Canada. Thank goodness we and the rest of the world don't need food. Bow to the power of greed. Enjoy our birds while you can.

But back to good things -- even if they are fleeting. Our Delta 2 pair have just had another pair move onto their western boundary -- somehow they are about to either share the perches of the high tension power lines or perhaps use this feature as the dividing line between territories. The new pair seemed to have been driven from another nest about 1/3 of a mile to the west. Their nest was certainly in a small poor tree and directly in front of a farmhouse. That nest either fell from the tree or simply broke off the small supportive branch and tumbled to the ground. Their new nest is also a flimsy structure and I doubt it will hold for long. Decent trees to support big eagle nests are few and far between in Delta. It will be interesting to see how the pairs work out new territorial boundaries.

Cam updates: We have placed another fine 20x PTZ cam at Delta2, making this the first nest with 2 PTZ cams. In fact the decision was made to place at least 1 PTZ at every nest and this has been done. We have new landowners at this site since we first placed in the cam back in the fall of 2006. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity of meeting the new owner and was delighted to be greeted with, "Oh you have the cams, will you please keep them running, my family watches them!" So wonderful. While this nest is not as high as some it is one of our most sturdy trees and should hold a nesting pair for many years.

At this year's nest update I had forgotten to remind the crane provider to bring their harnesses, to strap Myles and me to the lift bucket. After phoning all around to unsuccessfully rent two sets, our Delta Cable sponsor had their tech division donate two brand new harness sets to us -- thanks, Mike Murphy of Delta Cable -- we will dangle from the tree tops more securely!

Site Sponsorship: This nest is largely funded by our viewers with Delta Cable supporting the outbound bandwidth. Thanks again.

David Hancock

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin

Langley, BC

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:23 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Please Donate

Please Donate!