Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Lafarge Eagle Nest Archives
 Lafarge Eagle Nest Discussion/Obs/Pics/Videos 2009/10
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 03:25 PM EDT (Read 201146 times)  
JudyB

Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos - Lafarge Vancouver Bald Eagle Nest
2009/10 Season

NOTE:
This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the Lafarge Nest.

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the Lafarge Nest captured via the webcams.

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them).

Useful LInks

Significant Dates - 2009-2010 Nesting Season

• eagles return: late September/early October
  • first egg laid: March 10 (two additional eggs were laid, probably about 3 days apart)
  • egg lost: one of the eggs was likely lost during the bad storm and heavy winds April 1-2; the good news is that the nest, the adults and the other two eggs survived
  • eggs hatch: April 18, 7:11 am (link); April 18, 7:56 pm (link)
  • sad news: April 23, the younger eaglet likely died overnight; the leaves made it hard to see what happened, but it appeared that it did not get up for feedings on the 22nd, and there were comments that it seemed less active than its 12-hour-older sibling; it was clearly offered food initially, and appeared to be eating, but it's not clear if it didn't get enough food or if it had some sort of defect. Rest in peace, little one - and fly free forever.
  • eaglet named: June 15 - "Tenas Chakchak" (see below for details)
  • fledged: July 16, 5:53 am (89 days - a bit over 12-1/2 weeks) - link to gemini's video of the fledge (about 2 minutes)
    last seen: August 6, 10:37 am (21 days after fledging) - link to jkr's final s'cap of Tenas Chakchak; adults last seen 11:30 am on August 5th

Tenas Chakchak

Quote by: ABW, June 15, 2010

In May Lafarge requested suggestions for the naming of the Harbour Plant eaglet. Thanks to everyone who took the time to come up with some very thoughtful and creative entries.

We are very pleased to announce that the winning entry for our contest was "Tenas Chakchak" (or "Tenas" for short). Translated, this means simply 'little eagle' or 'young bald eagle', and is from Chinook Jargon, which is the mixed language that original settlers to British Columbia used with the aboriginals to conduct trading and communication. It is a mix of English, French and the native language of the Chinook people. We chose this name for its local historical meaning, and because it is inclusive, representing our present day multicultural community.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 03:36 PM EDT  
JudyB

Posted By Terry!! June 7, 2010.

It has been on my mind to do this for quite some time. So, While I wait for the Cam to come back online I got it done. This map shows the area where the Lafarge nest is. Google is not perfect, folks. I had to relabel the parks because they were wrong. As you can see it really is in the middle of a highly industrialized area. the black blob is where google had cambridge park... it is just a few small buildings under the blob!

Click to enlage.
Click on image to download

I know I don't really need to say this but I will anyway. The Nest is on Private Industrial Land and NO ONE should try to gain access to it. Cambridge Park offers a view of the nest - Binoculars recommended I'm guessing! I don't know what the view might be like from Oxford Park (lower edge designated by the "A"Wink but it has Picnic Tables and would be a nice place to meet one another sometime!

Cambridge Park for viewing the Nest

Oxford Park has picnic tables

Link to Google map of the area

Note~ the map shows Lion's Gate Hospital on it... NO WAY that is where Lion's Gate Hospital is. NO

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 03:36 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 03:37 PM EDT  
JudyB

Sunday, April 4, 2010

We have another eagle nest to watch! Grin (Who needs sleep....)

There are still a few things to do before it's live, but the cam at the Lafarge bald eagle nest is up and running, and Richard has been in touch with Peter at WildEarth to get the codes so we can watch!

For the moment, if you go to the Lafarge cam page (index.php?topic=LaFargeEagleNest), you'll actually get to see the Sidney eagles - but that stream will be replaced with the one from Lafarge as soon as we get the codes.

We've had some great reports from the ground over the last couple of years - and I'm looking forward to meeting this pair - and watching them raise their family!

I'll be adding to the opening posts as I pull together some background information (and Richard is planning a feature story which will have a lot more details, so we'll have a link to that as well) - and this post will probably change as things develop over the next 24 hours.

Enjoy! Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Monday, April 05 2010 @ 03:05 AM EDT  
nightowl

MONDAY, APRIL 5, 2010

TUESDAY, APRIL 6, 2010

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 05:52 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

wave Even as we wait for the technical issues to be sorted to get this camera streaming, the media have taken an interest in this unique project. Clapping

David and Karen were at the Lafarge property this morning to be interviewed by CBC. Karen called me to say that they expect the interview to be broadcast on CBC BC on either the 5:30PM or 6:00PM evening news.

It does't look like the CBC does a live web-stream of their 5:30 broadcast but you can use this page to watch the 6PM broadcast and keep an eye on any clips that might be put on line.

Watch David and Karen at 5:30PM or 6PM on the CBC BC Evening News

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 06:10 PM EDT  
richardpitt

I'm still downtown after being at the Lafarge site while CBC was there.

We're having a problem with the camera - can't control it's zoom or pan/tilt Sad

Torn between leaving it as is for now, and again trying to get it to work by power-cycling it (again - did that earlier with no result)

David and I talked about putting another camera up on the gravel conveyor tower but at this time we don't have one that would work there - all PTZs from Chehalis are off for repair.

Can't go up the nest tower at least until a sunny day after the chicks have hatched says David.

It is night in Germany where the camera setup needs to be done - maybe tonight our time Smile

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 06:41 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: richardpitt

I'm still downtown after being at the Lafarge site while CBC was there.

We're having a problem with the camera - can't control it's zoom or pan/tilt Sad

Torn between leaving it as is for now, and again trying to get it to work by power-cycling it (again - did that earlier with no result)

David and I talked about putting another camera up on the gravel conveyor tower but at this time we don't have one that would work there - all PTZs from Chehalis are off for repair.

Can't go up the nest tower at least until a sunny day after the chicks have hatched says David.

It is night in Germany where the camera setup needs to be done - maybe tonight our time Smile

richard

Thanks for the update, Richard. I vote for trying to have it as optimally functional as possible before going live. It will be much less frustrating for every one that way. Now if only Germany would get with the program and be awake when we need them LOL

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:42 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate