Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Osprey Cam - Olympia, Washington
 |  Printable Version
By: soph9 (offline) on Friday, January 22 2010 @ 10:53 AM EST (Read 14739 times)  
soph9

Osprey Cam Olympia, Washington

The Osprey Cam Story

A Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist identified and assessed a recently damaged osprey nest-platform for possible repair and installation of a WildWatchcam to observe the nesting behavior and prey species being utilized by the birds. It was determined that for this project to be effective most materials and technical assistance would need to be donated to the cause! The dedicated team quickly developed- the inviting private landowners Gene and Regan; a dedicated wood craftsman Geoffry Carson and his wife Dee to donate platform materials, shop and hours of time to design and construct the new osprey platform; a highly skilled climber Tim Brown who was cable of using block and tackle to safely lower many pounds of old platform debris lodged in the huge Douglas fir to the ground and raise the new light-weight but sizeable platform to the very tip of the 180 tree-top. The team was coordinated by local WDFW, wildlife biologist Michelle Tirhi and camera aspects covered by WDFW, WildWatchcam coordinator Chuck Gibilisco and Americorps assistant Lauren Seyda. Two work days were required to install and activate the new nest platform and camera. Many volunteer hours and dollars were contributed to this project. We hope you enjoy the views!

Olympia, Washington Weather Report

Note: Washington is in the Pacific Time Zone, which is GMT/UTC -8 hours Standard Time and GMT/UTC 7 hours Daylight Savings Time

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: tomotto () on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 11:33 AM EST  
Anonymous: tomotto

Looks like this might be a heron nest this season.
Click on image to download

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Friday, April 02 2010 @ 04:28 PM EDT  
jazzel26

They're both backClappingClapping

JAZZELwave

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 02 2010 @ 04:41 PM EDT  
JudyB

Wonderful news - thanks, jazzel! Grin Grin I've looked in occasionally, but haven't seen anyone at home. This nest is just so beautiful!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: crtzm () on Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 02:40 AM EDT  
Anonymous: crtzm

Tom
I see the Heron mostly in the morning.
The Osprey mostly in the aftrenoon.

Quote by: tomotto

Looks like this might be a heron nest this season.

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 07:16 AM EDT  
JudyB

Welcome to our new forum, crtzm! (And a belated welcome to tomotto!)

I do hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of editing your posts to make the pictures of the heron appear without clicking the link. It's easy to do - but not at all intuitive. Browse and attach your picture as usual, put your cursor where you want the picture to be in your post, click the FILE button in the formatting toolbar above the box where you type, and put a 1 between the two tags that appear for the first attachment, 2 for the second, etc. It should look like this:

PHP Formatted Code
[file]1[/file]

If you have any questions, let us know.

And I have a question - sharing is fine in the off-season, but will this be a problem now that we're moving into nesting time? Or will the herons move on once the osprey start serious nesting? I know the Blackwater eagles use the osprey nest there as a fishing perch while the osprey are away, but don't bother them once they've returned and started to set up housekeeping - so I'm wondering if it will be similar here.

Thanks to all for getting this cam up and running - I do enjoy watching this nest! Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Monday, April 05 2010 @ 10:43 AM EDT  
jazzel26

Wondering where to startChin

JAZZELwave

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Thursday, April 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM EDT  
Anonymous: CAL04

Morning meeting.

All times are EST. The time is now 08:20 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate