Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Delta #2 Nest Camera Archives
 Linux is at OWL
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 01:33 PM EDT (Read 47117 times)  
jkr

LINUX IS AT O.W.L
Click on image to download

------ and our thanks to Bev and her volunteers for coming to the rescue once again !

I will post all updates about Linux on this thread so that they don't become lost.

July 3rd.
Linux prematurely either tried to fledge or likely fell off a limb while branching. He was found grounded in a field and has been taken to OWL when he didn't attempt to fly off when approached.
Preliminary check-up revealed that he was a bit thin and wheezy, likely caused by stress.

July 4th.
Update from Bev today,.

Linux has not eaten since he left the nest and he has ignored any food offered.
He is in a 30 foot cage with perches but has shown no interest in perching or trying to fly. Bev is wondering if maybe he's a bit sore from either hitting something when he left the nest tree or maybe he's just being stubborn. She has now put another juvie in with him so maybe that will give him some incentive to perch and eat if he sees the other eaglet doing the same.

If he doesn't progress in a day or two she will send him for an x-ray to find out if there is something they've missed, but so far all preliminary tests show he has nothing externally wrong with him.

Once he can fly 60 feet he will be released. Maybe he will surprise us all and do that sometime today.

July 4th evening

Good news from Bev at OWL this evening.
Linux has finally used the perch but took the easy way out and used a stump to step up to it.
The wheezing he had yesterday is gone. Things are looking up !

I did ask Bev how long the adults will remain in the area and she said they'll be there for quite awhile yet.

July 5th update

I have great news -- and it's a good thing I didn't get caught for speeding on my way home ! I am soooo excited ! Bev called me about a half hour ago.

LINUX is OWL's case # 12215

Weight 3.94kg -- for you non-metric folks that is 8.69 lbs.

And Aunties of Delta take a bow -- We all guessed the correct sex. Linux is a MALE.

More good news ..........

Linux flew perch to perch today.
He has probably eaten but on the next feeding Bev is putting someone in hiding to watch so that they know for sure he does.

AND are you ready for the best news ever ? He is going home tomorrow or Saturday at the latest !!

Bev would like us to keep an eye on the nest and tree and wants all reports of the times we see any adults which will give her an indication of when they are in the tree the most often. That may be the best time to release him.

She will make certain there is an adult within view before he is released and will likely leave food for them to give to him at the same time. I know it's not policy for anyone to feed the eagles but this will be done for bonding purposes.

See the pictures of Linux
forum/viewtopic.php?topic=392344#392344

July 6th update - 8:54 am - by sandra gee

I just spoke with Bev, she's on her way to check on Linux.

Notes from yesterday..... he ate well, going from perch to perch, flying short distances Left thumb up.

When she left yesterday someone was "posted" for 2 hours outside his enclosure to observe him.
She is going to check on how the observation went and will advise us as soon as she can.

Unfortunately Linux is not the only bird under their care at the moment, she had 7 other calls last evening.

I told her we are very appreciative of everything OWL is doing to ensure Linux gets the best chance to fly free. She knows we are all sitting here on pins and needles.

July 6th update - 10:29 am - by sandra gee

Judy/jkr just called me......

LINUX is ready to go. Bev is trying to contact the people on the property.

Will advise further info when we have it....thanks and fingers crossed

July 6th update - 12:47 pm - by sandra gee

................NOT THE UPDATE WE WERE HOPING FOR RIGHT NOW.............

Just got off the phone with Judy/jkr. Bev has been unable to reach the people who live on the property and until she does nothing can be done.

So, unfortunately we wait.

Will advise further if we hear something.

Sorry everyone, we are all anxious.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 01:36 PM EDT  
jkr

July 6, 3:37 pm - posted by jkr:

OKAY AUNTIES, GET READY AND START WATCHING FOR LINUX.

He was released into the tree about 10 minutes ago about 30 feet off the ground. If he squawks loud enough Mom and Dad will hear him and likely head to the tree to entice him back to the nest.

Sorry I kept this a secret but we didn't want any more disappointments in case it didn't happen !

Many thanks to Bev and the Gang from OWL. hug

July 6, 7:57 p.m. - posted by jkr:

Bev from OWL called just now..... She and Ralph went for a drive past the nest to check on Linux.
Mom has moved closer to the tree than she was earlier when Linux was released and Dad is not too far away. Linux, as far as Bev can make out, is still approximately where he was when he was released.

UPDATE, July 7, 11:15 a.m.
Bev and Ralph drove by the site. Both adults are on the hydro poles but the sun was glaring so bad that she couldn't see whether or not Linux is still in the tree.
They wanted to stop but the traffic on that road is a nightmare this morning because of some cycling competition and horse thing going on.

July 7th final update !

3:44 pm
LINUX IS HOME ON THE NEST !

Posts start here - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=393685#393685

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added by JudyB:

We're hoping to have a second cam to provide a different view of the nest and surrounding area, as well as a microphone so we can hear the eagles, and night vision so we can see what's happening if they decide to lay eggs in the middle of the night - but we need your help to do that.

Please click the picture of Linux below to see the five easy ways you can donate to Hancock Wildlife and support our cams. And if you know anyone who might help us raise some of the money needed - or who might be interested in sponsoring a cam or helping out in other ways - please let us know. Thank you. love

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Delta 2 FAQ - more info about Linux's great adventure

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: TWEED (offline) on Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 02:47 PM EDT  
TWEED

How long can Linux be away before parents won't come around any more/ thank you

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: garyandjudi (offline) on Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 08:11 PM EDT  
garyandjudi

Evidentally Linux doesn't like fish as that fish stayed on the nest for two days and he never touched it. Try giving him raw chicken or a rabbit or two...like rabbit stew Bev. He needs his blood taken so you can figure out if he has the same problem as GW had by eating contaminated road kill from the parents. Wubhug

I love eagles Pa up and Lady Lafarge down on the AN

Judi

Forum

Vancouver B.C.
Canada

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: wally () on Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 09:05 PM EDT  
Anonymous: wally

Quote by: TWEED

Good question Tweed, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm heartbroken about this. :cry1: We just got our power back on from a terrible storm that came through Saturday....so I was dying to find out if Linux was still on the nest. I'm sure he's in good hands but the early separation from the parents is so sad. I pray he will start eating soon.

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 09:15 PM EDT  
jkr

TWEED, I don't have an answer to that. I am sure they would stick around for a few days though. It's not migration season yet and some eagles never migrate at all. We don't know what this pair does. :dunno:

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: TWEED (offline) on Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 09:48 PM EDT  
TWEED

Quote by: jkr

TWEED, I don't have an answer to that. I am sure they would stick around for a few days though. It's not migration season yet and some eagles never migrate at all. We don't know what this pair does. :dunno:

Thank you. I keep checking in to see any update on Linux maybe tomorrow.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, July 04 2012 @ 10:11 PM EDT  
jkr

7:10 p.m.
July4th Evening

Good news from Bev at OWL this evening.
Linux has finally used the perch. He also hasn't had any of the wheezing that he had yesterday. Things are looking up ! Way to go Linux --- keep up the good work and you will be going home soon !!!!

I did ask Bev how long the adults will remain in the area and she said they'll be there for quite awhile yet.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:19 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate