Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Welcome - and Helpful Hints!
 So How Do I? (Or Can I?)
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, December 19 2009 @ 10:17 PM EST (Read 137346 times)  
JudyB

This thread is intended to be a place to ask how things work - we'll be adding to the Some Helpful Hints thread as we collectively figure things out, and would like to set up a more formal Tutorial thread (especially if we find people willing to help write tutorials as they figure out how to do things - but for now, please use this thread to ask if something is possible - and how to do it. Thanks! :thumbup:

Note: I'm making the subject of the post big and bold to make it easy to find when scrolling through - if this becomes too aggravating, I'll undo it. Thanks in advance for giving us permission to edit any posts in this thread to either add or remove "big and bold" once we see how this works.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, December 19 2009 @ 10:35 PM EST  
JudyB

We (the FAs) can't move posts from one thread to another the way we could on the old forum, so I'm bringing Skipper's post here to reply.

Quote by: Skipper

Where's the "View New Posts" link.

If this doesn't exist in the "new" forum, that's very, very bad!!!!! :EvilEvilEvil I depend on that link to keep up to date on all the latest posts.

Edited to add:

I think I found it--a tab called "latest posts" or something similar but it doesn't take you to the actual post it doesn't look like but to the beginning of the thread :thumbdown:

There should be a "New Posts" tab at the top of most of the forum pages, which will show you the most recent posts:
Click on image to download

If you're not seeing it, there's probably a setting somewhere we need to find. (Have I mentioned that we're learning this too? Wink)

We haven't had many new posts, but when I tried it, I found a couple that had been made since my last visit.

In the list that I found, you can click on the date on the right to go to the last post in the thread. Is there a way in the current forum to go to the first post you haven't read in an active thread? If so, how do you do it? I've been going to the last post, then scanning backwards until I come across something that sounds familiar. :oops:

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, December 19 2009 @ 10:42 PM EST  
JudyB

I've split your comments into two parts, Skipper - hope that's OK with you. I have a vague idea that we might delete some of the questions and answers once we've made a tutorial for those things that work, and perhaps a list of things we can't do (yet). This new forum software is very much a work in progress, and new features are being added all the time.

Quote by: Skipper

Also the Media Gallery upload has changed. It's not good the way it comes up now--the upload page takes a minute or so to load and it comes up with a page that I don't recognize (something about Flash upload and it doesn't work anyway). The tab called something like "Web Browser Upload" needs to be the one that comes up first--the same as the "old" Media Gallery.

I haven't tried to use the Media Gallery since the last update; I know they said on the glFusion website that they had a new interface that was much easier to use - and I know that "easier" is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't have time to look at this tonight - maybe PEB or jkr can give it a try.

By the way, glFusion is the software used by the new forum (and the rest of the combined website) - they have a website at www.glFusion.org if you want to read more about it. It's taken me some time to learn my way around, but there is a lot of useful information there.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Sunday, December 20 2009 @ 02:34 PM EST  
Pat B

I see what you mean, Skipper - at first I was thinking "what's the problem" - but the add media is suddenly an alien province - I will have a good play and see what we have to do!
Maybe take my mind off the cam controlling difficulties!! Grin

One falls at the first hurdle - it tells you to select the destination then click "upload" - but there isn't an Upload to click!!

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, December 20 2009 @ 06:12 PM EST  
jkr

Pat, I was able to upload a picture from my computer by clicking on Browse as shown on the lower left of your screen capture.

Once I had it uploaded I was sent back to the main Media Gallery screen and had to hunt down my personal gallery to find my picture again.

Now I'm attempting to post it here.

Yahoo, it works. :thumbup:

If it comes to video then someone else will have to attempt that because I don't do video.

Yikes, I just noticed that the picture is larger than the original from my desktop :question:

Now I'm going to use the same picture as an attachment directly from my computer to see if the size is correct.

ETA: Attaching directly from the computer works better and looks better than the Media Gallery in my opinion.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Sunday, December 20 2009 @ 07:17 PM EST  
Pat B

Yes - a lot more clarity in the directly uploaded one!!

What with wrestling with the cam and getting used to a new forum - we are all on a voyage of discovery here!! Grin

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, December 20 2009 @ 09:10 PM EST  
jkr

I feel like we're all on the verge of exhaustion trying to do everything at once and it's only 5 days til Christmas.
Looks like I'll have to bake my shortbread cookies after work tomorrow. Roll eyes

I can't understand why the media gallery would increase the size of an original picture. That doesn't even make sense :thumbdown:

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, December 21 2009 @ 10:58 PM EST  
JudyB

I'm not sure the Media Gallery is increasing the size of your pic - when I click on the attachment version, it gets bigger - like those "click twice for huge" pics the photographers attach. I agree it looks better smaller - which is why I often reduce the size of pics before posting them (and use the mini-cams for viewing unless I'm trying to see details).

(An issue for another day is that if I read the giant number correctly, I think we can attach really huge pictures - and given that storage space is finite, that may need adjusting - but I want to run that one by Richard - when I have a free moment.)

I actually found the upload quite easy - but when I clicked "save" it took me to the home page of the Media Gallery, not to my album. Of course it's easier to get back to my album now - it's under My Account in the black menu bar - but it is a pain.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:13 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate