Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Beacon Hill Park Eagles 2010-2013
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, January 21 2010 @ 01:33 PM EST (Read 20820 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Beacon Hill Pak Eagles thread. This thread is dedicated to observations and photos of the eagles who inhabit a nest in Beacon Hill Park, in the City of Victoria, BC. Over the years there have been several nests in the park and unfortunately one of the eagles died approx. 2 years ago. The remaining eagle has a new mate and they are now building a new nest in a different location in the park. Hopefully they will produce eaglets this springClapping A thread was set up in the old forum called Victoria Eagles and you will find info and photos of the Beacon Hill Park eagles in that thread here: Victoria Eagles Please feel free to post observations and photos of the Beacon Hill Park eagles in and around their nest area if you visit the park.

You will find lots of info on the history of Beacon Hill Park and the eagles here: Beacon Hill Park History

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 07:47 PM EST  
sassyk

I went to Beacon Hill Park this afternoon and didn't see the eagles anywhere. A chatted with a park employee who confirmed the eagles have been building a nest across from the kids' playground area. The employee said she has not seen the eagles the past week.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 11:38 PM EST  
sassyk

I went to Beacon Hill Park this morning and didn't see the eagles anywhere. I drove along Dallas Rd. and spotted 2 adult eagles perched on top of the light standards at the cruise ship terminal. I am quite sure these are the park eagles. Here are a few pix.
Click on image to download

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, January 29 2010 @ 11:41 PM EST  
sassyk

Here are a few close-up pix of the eagles perched on top of the light standards at the cruise ship terminal.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, February 19 2010 @ 01:47 AM EST  
sassyk

I went to Beacon Hill Park this afternoon and 1 of the eagles was perched in a tree near the totem pole. I didn't see the other eagle anywhere. Here are a few pix; the 3rd one was taken from the pathway in the wooded area and the other 2 were taken from near the totem pole. Click them bigger.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, February 22 2010 @ 01:07 AM EST  
sassyk

I went to Beacon Hill Park today and searched the park for the eagles. Just before I left the duck pond, I looked up and saw one of them soaring overhead. Here are 2 pix, cropped a considerable amount, because it was way up in the thermals. Click bigger.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: tanner07 () on Friday, March 12 2010 @ 12:40 AM EST  
Anonymous: tanner07

Greetings everybody,

This is my first post here. I located this forum through a Google search -- "Beacon Hill Park Eagles".

I moved to James Bay in November '09. I have an ever growing interest in photography and when I began to notice a pair of local bald eagles perching directly across from my apartment building, I began to photograph them 3-6 times per week.

I am able to step out of my front door and check for them on top of the very tall light posts in the parking lot near Ogden Point. The red & white striped ones. Nearly every evening I can find them here. If they can't be found here, the totem pole is always a good bet. I literally have taken countless photos of "my eagles". I find it a great way to pass time, no matter what my girlfriend says...Roll eyes

I had no idea where I could find people as interested in these birds as I am. My discover of your forum is rather exciting for me. I intend to absorb as much info about them as I can.

I went searching for the nest (for the first time) today with no luck...later observed one eagle on my light posts before he moved to the rocks just off the breakwater to join his mate for what looked like feeding. I never get sick of watching these guys.

On a side note, I have witnessed eagles leave the light posts and fly in the Saxe Pt. direction. I would imagine they are headed for that great big nest out there. Is that nest still active? I would love to check that out one day as well.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you guys!!! Here is a picture I snapped today, as well as two of my favorites of the same birds.

Thanks,
Tanner Wiberg

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, March 12 2010 @ 02:18 PM EST  
sassyk

WelcomeTanner. Great pixLeft thumb up The eagle in your 3rd pic definitely looks like the male from Beacon Hill Park. One of my photos of him will be displayed on an information panel that is being constructed by the parks employees and will be erected on the old bird aviary sometime this spring. The parks employees have informed me that the eagles were building a nest in a grand fir tree across from the kids playground, but the eagles don't seem to be interested in nesting this year. There have been many nests in the park over the years and a few tragedies with the eagles destroying the heron chicks and eggs a few years ago. We have another forum member who has observed the eagles sitting on top of an apartment building at the corner of Dallas Rd. and Menzies St. I grew up in the James Bay area and spent a good part of my childhood in the park. I still spend a lot of time in the park photographing the eagles, ducks, birds, etc. and my special friend Henry, the resident heron. Please feel welcome to post your photos of the Beacon Hill Park eagles here any time.

I lived next to Saxe Pt. Park for 18 years; my boys grew up playing in the park and my dogs loved to walk in the park, but we never noticed any eagles there at the time. The Saxe Pt. eagles are quite often seen on Brothers Island and in the trees across the harbour. I have a friend who lives at the end of Sturdee St. and he sees the eagles perched in trees outside his house quite often. The nest has not been very productive over the years; they didn't have any young last season and only 1 the season before, after many years of not producing any young. Another members who visits the park and posts her photos was told by a lady that the eagles had eggs last year and they were destroyed by crows. I'm rather skeptical about this story and am trying to get some info from my WiTS contact person to confirm it. Please feel welcome to post your photos of the Saxe Pt. Park eagles on the dedicated thead I have set up here Saxe Point Park Eagles I have also photographed the eagles perched on top of the light standards at Ogden Pt. and neither one looks like the male from Saxe Pt. Park.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:09 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate